127 vs 140mm cranks for street/trials

max_pfeifer

Guest
I currently have 140s on my kh but i was thinking of getting 127s. What
would be the disadvantages/advantages of the swap?

127s will roll faster -better for street
140s give me more torque for muni and some trials.

What else? How will they effect things like my dropping, grinding, rail
riding, gapping etc?

Cheers,
Max

--
max_pfeifer

edsbelly wrote:
> 'I'm goin to ride down the street one day yelling and screaming 'oh dear
> god, ive got half a bike stuck up my ass!!"

max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

more speed= bigger gaps, of course it will flip faster it makes ur uni
lighter too. It helps for sidehop because your legs are also not as far
apart.

--
maxisback

Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
quit are just dumb
maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

I have 127 KH/onzas on my trials uni which I never ride anymore. I like
them alot more than the 140 '04 KHs I used to have.

Right now I am riding koxx 110s on my splined freestyle thing and its
nice. Short cranks are nice to a certain point then they start being a
pain. With the 110s I slip out all the time but they flip realllly
fast.

I think 127s are the best compromise.

--
litldude2

(disclaimer: i may not know what i am talking about)
Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
'Bedford Unicycles' (BedfordUnicycles.ca)

litldude2 wrote:

> Right now I am riding koxx 110s on my splined freestyle thing and its
> nice.

Do you have freestyle uni with Koxx hub? Sounds great for Streetstyle.
What kind of tire and rim do you use for that?

Sorry if that has been answered elsewhere. I'm interested in special
streetstyle designs, something between freestyle and trial.

--
Niko
Niko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10976

I started a thread about this a little while ago... I'm pretty sure he
has a alex triple wall rim on it though.

I'm running somewhere around 145's on my KH trials and like them, I've
never really used anythung shorter or longer though.

--
mornish

><>UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO<><

"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks." lildude2
"CX seats are bricks."

The longer the cranks, the more control you will have. With the 140 mm
cranks you will have a much better time with trials because it will
take less effort to control the wheel. The smaller the cranks the more
likely the wheel is to roll out and cause you to lose control.

What you also have to remember is that street and trials are two
different things. Although they may have similar elements and you CAN
use the same rig for it, they tend to put different forces on the
wheel.

For street you tend to be rolling almost all the time, or at least for
good flow you should be, and therefore smaller cranks make sence
because you can roll faster and with less jerking forces to make you
think about.

For trials to be honest MOST (damn thats probably gonna bite me in the
ass) people aren't rolling around a heck of alot except on skinnies.
This means that when jumping up on onto things you are going to want a
wide base stance that will alow you to spread out your balance and keep
from slipping out and such. This is where longer cranks help a great
deal, they also help when you land on an obstacle and your wheel is not
completely ontop of it. With shorter cranks you are likely to slip out
and not be able to have the force to keep balanced in that stance, let
alone push onto the obstacle.

I currently use 110 cranks and I am finding that although my street is
greatly improving. On the other hand, I find it extremely hard to land
on any obstacle that is smaller than about 10 cm, unless I am landing
paralell to it. Whenever I do I roll out and hurt myself. I have also
ridden larger cranks many times, and I often borrow friends unis for
more difficult lines so I do have experience with both.

I know I'm no John Foss or some other crazy all knowing uni god, but
those are my experiences.

--
ntappin

[mild threadjack]
Niko wrote:
> Do you have freestyle uni with Koxx hub? Sounds great for Streetstyle.
> What kind of tire and rim do you use for that?
>
> Sorry if that has been answered elsewhere. I'm interested in special
> streetstyle designs, something between freestyle and trial.

I have a Odyssey sevenka rim and I'm not sure what the tire is but I am
pretty sure its a 20x2.1". Soon I am planning on getting a 'twenty-g'
(http://www.3gbikes.com/components/twenty-g.html) tire for it. It's
supposed to be just a little smaller than a trials tire. I am riding it
with a bedford frame and CF seat so I think its much better for the
urban flatland/freestyle kind of stuff. I don't even ride my trials uni
anymore:eek:

For flip tricks it makes the flipping part easier but the landing is
alot harder. Especially with double flips, once those short cranks are
spinning its hard to land back on them without slipping out. I have
that problem with outflips too, they just want to keep going. Longer
cranks would make stuff like that way easier to catch.

Here is a pic of my uni without a seat (ignore the random stuff to the
right).
[/mild threadjack]

|Filename: dsfg.jpg |

litldude2

(disclaimer: i may not know what i am talking about)
Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
'Bedford Unicycles' (BedfordUnicycles.ca)

Many thanks! (and sorry for the mild threadjack :eek: )

I have 102mm cranks on my freestyle uni, so the 140mm on my trials uni
(Koxx Devil) are quite a difference. My feeling is that the longer
cranks make some streetstyle tricks (like 360 unispin) much harder
(larger momentum and the feet are far away). Some other people told me
that the bigger area of the cranks is an advantage.
I think I may get some 127mm cranks when a new ISIS model comes out.

--
Niko
Niko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10976

[less-mild threadjack]

litldude2 wrote:
> [mild threadjack]
> Soon I am planning on getting a 'twenty-g'
> (http://www.3gbikes.com/components/twenty-g.html) tire for it. It's
> supposed to be just a little smaller than a trials tire.

I'm slightly confused, this is what that link says about the tire:
"The Twenty-G is an astonishing *20" x 3.45"*. Quite possibly the
fattest 20 inch cruiser tire on the market. Also features a lightweight
design keeping you rolling fast and smooth, so if you're looking to
phatten up your ride, this is the way."

I'm not sure, but I think 3.45" is bigger than 2.5". Is that really
what your getting?

[/less-mild threadjack]

--
Spudman

'www.selectric.org' (WWW.SELECTRIC.ORG)
Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

Niko wrote:
> My feeling is that the longer cranks make some streetstyle tricks (like
> 360 unispin) much harder (larger momentum and the feet are far away).
> Some other people told me that the bigger area of the cranks is an
> advantage.

I am not sure about the long cranks making unispins harder but unispins
are so much easier on that freestyle/street uni its crazy. There is
alot less room to land on (My trials has 127 KH/onza cranks with the
q-factor) but it spins so much easier. Most of that is probably from
the skinnier tire and that it weighs alot less. When I was riding the
trials I couldn't do any unispins over 360 at all, it just fell over.
When I got this uni I landed a 540 unispin in probably 10 minutes. The
short cranks probably helped a little bit.

--

Spudman wrote:
> [less-mild threadjack]
>

> I'm slightly confused, this is what that link says about the tire:
> "The Twenty-G is an astonishing *20" x 3.45"*. Quite possibly the
> fattest 20 inch cruiser tire on the market. Also features a lightweight
> design keeping you rolling fast and smooth, so if you're looking to
> phatten up your ride, this is the way."
>
> I'm not sure, but I think 3.45" is bigger than 2.5". Is that really
> what your getting?
>
> [/less-mild threadjack]

Haha, yeah. Everyone says that that isn't true. They exagerate the size
alot. The hoggy-g (the 24" version) also says 3.45" and it definately
is not.

'Here are some pictures of it on a bike.' (http://tinyurl.com/l7x3z) It
is the front tire, it doesn't look that huge.

--
litldude2

(disclaimer: i may not know what i am talking about)
Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
AIM: Litldude2
Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
'Bedford Unicycles' (BedfordUnicycles.ca)

I prefer my 140s for trials. I was riding it with 125s before and though
it did offer speed it dropped alot in control. I found that skinnies
were easier and i had alot mor control on drops with the 140s.

However i ride just trials so my opinion is slightyly biased. I think
it depends what you do more: Tirals= 140s, Street=127s.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR

135mm I think would be the perfect ideal crank size. I have 145's on my
trials, and they are great for trials, but anything else they are a bit
cumbersome. I can live with it.

140's or 45's for pure trials is fine, the leverage and control helps a
lot. It's just more stable, esp. with natrual trials.

--
forrestunifreak

**Money talks. Mine says goodbye. *'My gallery'
(http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)*

*><>* Screw in Lightbulbs for Christ **<><**

i like the 127's on my dx, i can zip around nice and quick. I couldn't
imagin having huge 140's on it, it seem unpractical for a 20". i have
pleanty of tourque for trials and whatnot

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -