12k/20min TT Heart Rates vs Power

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by woodgab, Jul 3, 2006.

1. woodgab

woodgab New Member

I can't believe how long it has taken me to keep my eyes off my HR during my medium/short length TT's. My data since beginning to govern strictly by power, has reflected a rising heart rate throughout the TT. Previously, I would ramp up to LT in the first minutes and try to keep it there. Now, not watching, it ends up 4-5 beats below for the first half and rises to 2-3 beats through for most of the second (not counting a little kick in the last 30 seconds).

Is this closer to normal, should I not concern myself about the rising HR now that I am leaving the dark side?

__http://morningspin.tripod.com/InetTT.doc__(must cut/paste)

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

That's precisely how my HR behaves during an interval at L4 or greater. It can easily increase by 5bpm during the course of a 20min interval at a constant power.

3. Woofer

Woofer New Member

4. woodgab

woodgab New Member

OK, I guess I needed a bitch slap. The link now works if you paste it.

Average power is up what looks like almost 10 watts.

Like anyone else, I want to leave it all on the course. Sacrificing beats that could be used to process lactate seems inefficient, while going through LT on the back end seems like it might blunt output. I do think the times (pwr) are better and perhaps its moot. I am just trying to reconcile the physiology.

[edit] I have been to most all of those links. Blame it on my reading comprehension, but sending me to 10,000 words, or less, on power sort of falls short. thanks anyway.

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I think you are overestimating the importance of your HR. First, your cardiac response is made up of two parts, both of which respond to increased intensity over a similar relative range. Total cardiac output is a function of HR and stroke volume (SV), or Q = HR x SV. For a typical athlete (depending on age and fitness), HR might go from 60bpm at rest to 190bpm at maximum or a ~3x increase. But, SV might go from 80 ml/beat at rest to 190 ml/beat ~2.5x increase. So, you are measuring only slightly more than half of the cardiac response when you measure HR. Second, the cardiac response is only one small part of your body's response to increased intensity. So, it is a mistake to try and manage it. Your heart will never hold you back. It can beat at its maximum rate for a very, very long time.