13 mile commute - Road or Hybrid

reveller

Aug 1, 2012
Hi,

I started cycling to work about 18 months ago using an electric bike. It is a 26 mile round trip, 95% of which is using the Bristol to Bath Path (Off road, shared use, Tarmac, a few pot holes here and there and only one hill). I am pretty uinfit but the ride is getting too easy on the electric bike.

I have read a few guides to bikes and guess I am looking for either a road bike or a hybrid though not sure which.

Any recommendations on particular bikes or what I should look for in a bike?

FWIW. For the type of riding which you plan to be doing, 'I' would choose a Hybrid which has a Rigid fork ...

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]The potential 'problem' with most Road bikes is the maximum tyre size which can be used ... some cannot even accommodate a 700x28 tyre due to clearance limitations of the front fork ...[/COLOR]

• the inexpensive suspension forks on most Hybrids is mostly added weight + an unnecessary added cost. BTW ...
  • if you want-or-need a bike with a front suspension which has 700c wheels, then you need to get a 29er (a decidedly DIFFERENT price category)

IMO, it is easy enough to put Drop handlebars on a ANY bike if you feel a future need ...

• adding Drop handlebars + appropriate shifters + (possibly) brake calipers + sundries will cost less than another £200 if if you make it a DIY conversion. Closer to £100 if you are wise shopper!

i would say that a hybrid is your best bet. It is much nicer that you constantly dont have to worry about your tires popping. And as i could imagine, comfort would be more of a concern with you than speed. I hope you find a bike that suits you perfectly :)

What about a Cyclo-cross or Tricross like like this...gives the benefits of a road bike but sturdier wheels/tyres and clearance for mudguards. This is a picture of a [SIZE= 12px]Specialized Tricross 2012 Road Bike[/SIZE]

Thanks for the suggestions especially about rigid fork versus suspension. I wouldn't have known whether to bother with suspension or not. I don't think my current bike has it. My current one is a Smarta LX http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/shop/electric-bikes-trikes/smarta-bike/smarta-lx/prod_629.html

I'll definately be getting Marathon Plus tyres again. I had loads of punctures til I got a pair of these and haven't had one since.

Quote:Originally Posted by reveller . Thanks for the suggestions especially about rigid fork versus suspension. I wouldn't have known whether to bother with suspension or not. I don't think my current bike has it. My current one is a Smarta LX http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/shop/electric-bikes-trikes/smarta-bike/smarta-lx/prod_629.html

I'll definately be getting Marathon Plus tyres again. I had loads of punctures til I got a pair of these and haven't had one since.

FYI. Your current SMARTA LX has a suspension front fork ...

BTW. Since you can presumably use the Smarta without having the electric motor engaged, why don't you do THAT for a while before ponying up for a new bike?

Depending on the model you have, you have either a 3-speed or 8-speed "regular" drivetrain that you can use; and so, IMO, you may as well take advantage of what you have, first.

It is a VERY heavy bike, when the power isn't on it is like riding through 2 week old treacle. It's almost quicker to walk :) . It's the 8 gear model though I don't think the gear range is right for an electric bike, I spend nearly all my time in top gear.

Quote:. Originally Posted by reveller .
Any recommendations on particular bikes or what I should look for in a bike?

I recommend you ask yourself what you intend to do with the bike when you're not riding it to work. Let that be your next consideration.

I would lean toward the cyclocross/hybrid side if for any reason it be for the comforts long haul. The position of the mountain/hybrid end of the market is a little more upright than an all-out roadie which can be easier on the back/hands and safer for the occasional swerve or pothole. If this intends to be year-round the additional tire tread choices and ice/snow handling can be a big factor. At this point I prefer to do my 10+ mi commute on a thin wheel xc mountain bike. It's not as ideal efficiency as a roadie setup but it is comfortable in all conditions and terrains that I have no reservations at going anywhere for as long as I have time.

If your commute involves night, I would definitely lean toward the margin of light front suspension(nothing crazy travel). One time in college I was commuting at night and hit a relatively minor pothole while I was in the aero position of my road bike resulting in a complete endo. It ground my headlight mount off and the outer layer of my jeans off my one knee. Somehow the car behind me did manage to stop in time, but that was enough to make me think twice about aero positions at night. The same hole was virtually meaningless on the mtb a couple days later due to the position/suspension.

Get a hybrid with a flatbar. Like a "Cafe" bike. Giant Escape are a good example of this. Tires are not too skinny and you don't have to sit upright. Or get a nice hybrid that has the ability to go pretty fast.