13 riders tested positive during Tour

Joe King wrote:
> http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=13429291&src=rss/sportsNews&rpc=81
>
> http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1329392006
>
> http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto960130.shtml

DUUUDE, didn't you know that every TDF racer has asthma? They all need
medications not commonly used by sufferers OF asthma, but
cooincidentally that just happen to have docs prescribing them.

TUE is the name of the game. Therapuetic Use Exemption.

[email protected] wrote:

> DUUUDE, didn't you know that every TDF racer has asthma? They all need
> medications not commonly used by sufferers OF asthma, but
> cooincidentally that just happen to have docs prescribing them.

Which asthma medications not commonly used by sufferers of asthma are you
talking about?

hi,
When an asthma attack occurs, the muscles become tight and the lining
of the air passages swells, reducing airflow and producing the
characteristic wheezing sound.
There are different symptoms of asthma.
you can get all information regarding asthma medications through
different sites.One of them is
http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/encyclopedia/A/Asthma.asp
i think this may help you.

[email protected] wrote:

> DUUUDE, didn't you know that every TDF racer has asthma? They all need
> medications not commonly used by sufferers OF asthma, but
> cooincidentally that just happen to have docs prescribing them.
>
> TUE is the name of the game. Therapuetic Use Exemption.

Riding up mountains surrounded by motorcycles and cars I'm surprised
100% don't have to use salbutamol - I do when I'm in traffic, that's
what brings it on.

All the best
Dan Gregory

> When an asthma attack occurs, the muscles become tight and the lining
> of the air passages swells, reducing airflow and producing the
> characteristic wheezing sound.
> There are different symptoms of asthma.
> you can get all information regarding asthma medications through
> different sites.One of them is
> http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/encyclopedia/A/Asthma.asp
> i think this may help you.

"Treatment is aimed at avoiding known allergens and respiratory irritants
and controlling symptoms and airway inflammation through medication."

Right. So basically I'm not supposed to go out and exercise when it's cold?

Anything below about 56 degrees or so and I sound like a steam engine (noise
from my breathing). I really didn't think much about it when I raced; my
doctor would treat me for normal allegies (pollen etc) and the issue of
Asthma never came up because I never related the breathing issues to him...
I just thought it was an allergy issue (and probably also had a bit of a
macho thing going on). In retrospect, I had a much more legit reason to have
been on albuterol or whatever than 90% of the guys who had prescriptions for
it (and this was back in the early 70s, so if anyone thinks that abuse of
asthma medication is a recent thing, I'm here to tell you that's absolutely
not the case... and this was in the Junior field!).

I never even knew it was an Asthmatic condition until the average age of the
guys I ride with started getting older and we got some doctors riding with
us from time to time. I'm still in denial though. Besides, if I can still
climb sorta OK at 50, I figure at 55 I'll look into the appropriate
medication and then maybe kick some butt (at least for my age group) on the
nasty stuff!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi,
> When an asthma attack occurs, the muscles become tight and the lining
> of the air passages swells, reducing airflow and producing the
> characteristic wheezing sound.
> There are different symptoms of asthma.
> you can get all information regarding asthma medications through
> different sites.One of them is
> http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/encyclopedia/A/Asthma.asp
> i think this may help you.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Joe King wrote:
>> > http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=sportsNews&storyID=13429291&src=rss/sportsNews&rpc=81
>> >
>> > http://sport.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1329392006
>> >
>> > http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto960130.shtml

>> DUUUDE, didn't you know that every TDF racer has asthma? They all need
>> medications not commonly used by sufferers OF asthma, but
>> cooincidentally that just happen to have docs prescribing them.
>>
>> TUE is the name of the game. Therapuetic Use Exemption.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Treatment is aimed at avoiding known allergens and respiratory irritants
> and controlling symptoms and airway inflammation through medication."
>
> Right. So basically I'm not supposed to go out and exercise when it's cold?
>
> Anything below about 56 degrees or so and I sound like a steam engine (noise
> from my breathing). I really didn't think much about it when I raced; my
> doctor would treat me for normal allegies (pollen etc) and the issue of
> Asthma never came up because I never related the breathing issues to him...
> I just thought it was an allergy issue (and probably also had a bit of a
> macho thing going on). In retrospect, I had a much more legit reason to have
> been on albuterol or whatever than 90% of the guys who had prescriptions for
> it (and this was back in the early 70s, so if anyone thinks that abuse of
> asthma medication is a recent thing, I'm here to tell you that's absolutely
> not the case... and this was in the Junior field!).
>
> I never even knew it was an Asthmatic condition until the average age of the
> guys I ride with started getting older and we got some doctors riding with
> us from time to time. I'm still in denial though. Besides, if I can still
> climb sorta OK at 50, I figure at 55 I'll look into the appropriate
> medication and then maybe kick some butt (at least for my age group) on the
> nasty stuff!

You are doing well. Bend every effort toward not using
medications. First you become dependent, then the expenses
build up, then getting off of them is a huge effort. By
dependent I mean that you and your body stop working on
managing the condition on your own terms. Some medications
are almost impossible to get off of. So if you start, then
you may never have the option of stopping.

--
Michael Press

>> I never even knew it was an Asthmatic condition until the average age of
>> the
>> guys I ride with started getting older and we got some doctors riding
>> with
>> us from time to time. I'm still in denial though. Besides, if I can still
>> climb sorta OK at 50, I figure at 55 I'll look into the appropriate
>> medication and then maybe kick some butt (at least for my age group) on
>> the
>> nasty stuff!

> You are doing well. Bend every effort toward not using
> medications. First you become dependent, then the expenses
> build up, then getting off of them is a huge effort. By
> dependent I mean that you and your body stop working on
> managing the condition on your own terms. Some medications
> are almost impossible to get off of. So if you start, then
> you may never have the option of stopping.
>
> --
> Michael Press

We have very similar views of medicine. However, while asthma medication may
be considered (for many) to be optional, it's entirely possible that some of
us may require high blood pressure meds due to factors that cannot be
controlled by exercise or diet. I'm possibly in that camp; mostly it's
white-coat syndrome (my blood pressure goes through the roof in a hospital
so when they take it the nurse kinda freaks, a doctor notices, recognizes
what's going on, gives me a minute or two to relax, takes it again and it's
way way better. But still higher than it should be. I'm in denial in that I
believe by riding and eating better (much better than I used to, but no
Saint), I can manage it. I'm in denial because I know that, once people are
on blood pressure meds, they generally never come off them.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:49:09 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>> I never even knew it was an Asthmatic condition until the average age of
>>> the
>>> guys I ride with started getting older and we got some doctors riding
>>> with
>>> us from time to time. I'm still in denial though. Besides, if I can still
>>> climb sorta OK at 50, I figure at 55 I'll look into the appropriate
>>> medication and then maybe kick some butt (at least for my age group) on
>>> the
>>> nasty stuff!

>> You are doing well. Bend every effort toward not using
>> medications. First you become dependent, then the expenses
>> build up, then getting off of them is a huge effort. By
>> dependent I mean that you and your body stop working on
>> managing the condition on your own terms. Some medications
>> are almost impossible to get off of. So if you start, then
>> you may never have the option of stopping.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Press

>We have very similar views of medicine. However, while asthma medication may
>be considered (for many) to be optional, it's entirely possible that some of
>us may require high blood pressure meds due to factors that cannot be
>controlled by exercise or diet. I'm possibly in that camp; mostly it's
>white-coat syndrome (my blood pressure goes through the roof in a hospital
>so when they take it the nurse kinda freaks, a doctor notices, recognizes
>what's going on, gives me a minute or two to relax, takes it again and it's
>way way better. But still higher than it should be. I'm in denial in that I
>believe by riding and eating better (much better than I used to, but no
>Saint), I can manage it. I'm in denial because I know that, once people are
>on blood pressure meds, they generally never come off them.

Take your BP yourself before submitting to the meds. A good doctor will want you
to anyway. If it's high and you've got the weight to lose, well, there's the
answer. As for the asthma, the tendency of asthma to cause irritation that
promotes asthma has me on an albuterol inhaler before a hard ride during much of
the year. It is not an every day, or even every ride thing. I had resisted it
for years and even still this isn't a protocol a doctor usually would recommend,
but it works for me and is minimal and unintrusive.

Ron

In article
<F2LMg.17712$%[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I never even knew it was an Asthmatic condition until the average age of
> >> the
> >> guys I ride with started getting older and we got some doctors riding
> >> with
> >> us from time to time. I'm still in denial though. Besides, if I can still
> >> climb sorta OK at 50, I figure at 55 I'll look into the appropriate
> >> medication and then maybe kick some butt (at least for my age group) on
> >> the
> >> nasty stuff!

> > You are doing well. Bend every effort toward not using
> > medications. First you become dependent, then the expenses
> > build up, then getting off of them is a huge effort. By
> > dependent I mean that you and your body stop working on
> > managing the condition on your own terms. Some medications
> > are almost impossible to get off of. So if you start, then
> > you may never have the option of stopping.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Press

> We have very similar views of medicine. However, while asthma medication may
> be considered (for many) to be optional, it's entirely possible that some of
> us may require high blood pressure meds due to factors that cannot be
> controlled by exercise or diet. I'm possibly in that camp; mostly it's
> white-coat syndrome (my blood pressure goes through the roof in a hospital
> so when they take it the nurse kinda freaks, a doctor notices, recognizes
> what's going on, gives me a minute or two to relax, takes it again and it's
> way way better. But still higher than it should be. I'm in denial in that I
> believe by riding and eating better (much better than I used to, but no
> Saint), I can manage it. I'm in denial because I know that, once people are
> on blood pressure meds, they generally never come off them.

I second Ron's recommendation. Buy yourself a
sphygmomanometer (say it quickly five times). The feedback
is wonderful.

--
Michael Press

> I second Ron's recommendation. Buy yourself a
> sphygmomanometer (say it quickly five times). The feedback
> is wonderful.

That sounds a bit too close to the name of the gadget I get to become
familiar with on my next visit, now that I'm 50. Yuck.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <F2LMg.17712$%[email protected]>,

>> > You are doing well. Bend every effort toward not using
>> > medications. First you become dependent, then the expenses
>> > build up, then getting off of them is a huge effort. By
>> > dependent I mean that you and your body stop working on
>> > managing the condition on your own terms. Some medications
>> > are almost impossible to get off of. So if you start, then
>> > you may never have the option of stopping.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael Press

>> We have very similar views of medicine. However, while asthma medication
>> may
>> be considered (for many) to be optional, it's entirely possible that some
>> of
>> us may require high blood pressure meds due to factors that cannot be
>> controlled by exercise or diet. I'm possibly in that camp; mostly it's
>> white-coat syndrome (my blood pressure goes through the roof in a
>> hospital
>> so when they take it the nurse kinda freaks, a doctor notices, recognizes
>> what's going on, gives me a minute or two to relax, takes it again and
>> it's
>> way way better. But still higher than it should be. I'm in denial in that
>> believe by riding and eating better (much better than I used to, but no
>> Saint), I can manage it. I'm in denial because I know that, once people
>> are
>> on blood pressure meds, they generally never come off them.

> I second Ron's recommendation. Buy yourself a
> sphygmomanometer (say it quickly five times). The feedback
> is wonderful.
>
> --
> Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I second Ron's recommendation. Buy yourself a
> > sphygmomanometer (say it quickly five times). The feedback
> > is wonderful.

> That sounds a bit too close to the name of the gadget I get to become
> familiar with on my next visit, now that I'm 50. Yuck.

I still recommend that you say it quickly five times.

--
Michael Press

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:52:16 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>> I second Ron's recommendation. Buy yourself a
>> sphygmomanometer (say it quickly five times). The feedback
>> is wonderful.

> That sounds a bit too close to the name of the gadget I get to become
> familiar with on my next visit, now that I'm 50. Yuck.

Spygmomanometer ... sigmoidoscope ... ha!

Don't sweat it, Mike. I'm 37, and I've been taking BP meds for
close on a decade. My hypertension appears to be hereditary. I'd rather
tackle it with meds *now* than suffer the consequences of long-term
untreated hypertension (renal failure, stroke, etc.).

As a side benefit, the particular BP med I take tends to cut down
the tendency to get migraines.

ObBike: so I can ride more.

--
Chris BeHanna