13 year gap - help!

12sprocket

Oct 19, 2003
Hi all,

I've been bitten by the bug again! I used to race around the roads of Ireland almost 13 years ago until I was distracted by the female influuence. 3 kids later and I was looking at the recent world championships and said "I can do that".
What I'm looking for is advise. I am now 34, 4 stone heavier (25kg) than when I raced, have a mountain bike and road bike, cateye computer and basic hrm and also membership of a leisure centre. I have also downloaded Crosstrak - so there's committment! I want to get into shape to at least partake in club road races by next May onwards. What is your advice on how to approach training....apart from gently!

www.cptips.com has a lot of information, maybe even an overwhelming amount.

Take in lots of carbs before your workout, but not right before because it's uncomfortable exercizing on an full stomach.

If you are exercizing intensively and/or doing it for more than an hour or two, bring something along to eat during your workout in order to replenish your energy. Bannanas, fig newtons, and dried fruit are common. I hear energy gels do the job well, but they are expensive. You will need to take in about 60g of carbs per hour, equivalent to one energy gel every 30-45 min.

Take in more carbs and proteins right after the workout for recovery.

Remember that water is even more important. CamelBaks seem to be effective when you can't reach down to grab a bottle.

Don't train every day, give two or three days per week to rest.

Stretch your quads, calves, hamstrings, and inner thighs before you do anything.

Exercizing on a stationary indoor bike isn't as good as on a real bike, because you don't need to balance, or steer, or fight wind resistance. In the winter you may want to consider rollers instead. It is like a tredmill for bikes, and if you get it with a head-fan, you can accurately simulate a real bike ride. Rollers are also good because you will stay used to your bike, the feel of it, the posture, and the seat.

That's it for now. farewell : )

12sprocket said:
What is your advice on how to approach training....apart from gently!
I'm doing exactly what you want to do. Wife + 3 kids, bike hanging on the wall and a bucketload of weight (30kg over race weight). Initially I just took the bike down and started commuting 50-80km each workday. That was in April.

Initially I was staying within my limits. I tried racing, but wasn't fit enough to keep up. It wasn't much fun. Eventually I found a coach (Sep) and started training with a view to racing. I'm nearly down to race weight now and am fitter than when I raced as a junior.

My advice FWIW is to work out you short, medium and long term goals first.
Then work out when you can fit training in, and how much you can do without making life a misery for you or your family. I have to do mine in at 4am so that I can still play with the kids at night.
Buy an heart rate monitor and learn how to use it. One that allows you to download data is good. A cadence meter is important. A power meter is not important.
Get tested after 4-6 weeks of basic riding so you know what your heart rate training zones are.
Get a training program tailored to your goals, available training time, and heart rate zones, or a coach if you can find and afford one.

As you train you will be burning up fuel, so you should start burning the lard. To help stimulate your metabolism I recommend eating more frequently (graze all day if you can) instead of having three square meals. Eat well, but keep it enjoyable. Phase out caffiene, lollies, cakes, and other treats. Replace sugary drinks with fruit juice (ie. replace sucrose with fructose). Replace treats with fruit. Replace crisps with pretzels or popcorn. You get the idea.

And drink water all the time. 2 litres per day min + whatever you need while you're training.