130mm MTB help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lisated, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. lisated

    lisated Guest

    My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
    derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise to
    respace it.

    Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better to
    use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use MTB
    shifters. Suggestions?

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
    > derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
    > to respace it.
    >
    > Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better
    > to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use
    > MTB shifters. Suggestions?

    Yes, you surmised correctly Most Shimano 135 hubs include a 5mm spacer on the left which may be
    omitted. Then trim the axle and recenter the rim over the now-changed locknuts.

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
    > derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
    > to respace it.
    >
    > Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better
    > to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use
    > MTB shifters. Suggestions?

    Use a road hub, or swap out axles to make the MTB hub 130mm.

    I went the other way and made my Shimano 105 hub into 135mm. You want the other axle?

    Jeff

  4. [email protected] schreef ...
    > My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
    > derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
    > to respace it.
    >
    > Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better
    > to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use
    > MTB shifters. Suggestions?

    Spread the frame; it's only 2.5 mms each side. A steel frame (which I presume the Nishiki has) can
    stand this without any problems.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  5. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    Use a road hub. B

  6. lisated

    lisated Guest

    Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] schreef ...
    > > My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
    > > derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
    > > to respace it.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be
    > > better to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I
    > > have to use MTB shifters. Suggestions?
    >
    > Spread the frame; it's only 2.5 mms each side. A steel frame (which I presume the Nishiki has) can
    > stand this without any problems.

    It is aluminum. See the second sentence of the first paragraph.

    I will be using a road hub; I found a low price for a 105 hub online. But that's the only Shimano
    piece on the bike.

    Not that there's anything wrong with Shimano. . .

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR