130mm MTB help

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lisated

My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise to
respace it.

Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better to
use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use MTB
shifters. Suggestions?

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
> derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
> to respace it.
>
> Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better
> to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use
> MTB shifters. Suggestions?

Yes, you surmised correctly Most Shimano 135 hubs include a 5mm spacer on the left which may be
omitted. Then trim the axle and recenter the rim over the now-changed locknuts.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

[email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
> derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
> to respace it.
>
> Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be better
> to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I have to use

Use a road hub, or swap out axles to make the MTB hub 130mm.

I went the other way and made my Shimano 105 hub into 135mm. You want the other axle?

Jeff

[email protected] schreef ...
> to respace it.
>

Spread the frame; it's only 2.5 mms each side. A steel frame (which I presume the Nishiki has) can
stand this without any problems.

--
Regards, Marten

Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] schreef ...
> > My wife's old Nishiki "MTB" has never been used off-road and never will be, but the rear hub and
> > derailler are shot. It is 130mm spacing, and the frame is aluminum so I think it would be unwise
> > to respace it.
> >
> > Is it possible to transform a 135mm MTB hub to 130 by messing with spacers? Or would it be
> > better to use a road hub? I want to keep a wide-range cassette and, as she wants flat bars, I
> > have to use MTB shifters. Suggestions?
>
> Spread the frame; it's only 2.5 mms each side. A steel frame (which I presume the Nishiki has) can
> stand this without any problems.

It is aluminum. See the second sentence of the first paragraph.

I will be using a road hub; I found a low price for a 105 hub online. But that's the only Shimano
piece on the bike.

Not that there's anything wrong with Shimano. . .

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Status
Not open for further replies.