14 days bike ride in california

gf71

Feb 11, 2004
I am considering a 2 weeks bike ride in northern california. My first thought would be starting from San Francisco south on Hwy 1 to Big Sur area to SLO and inland up to Yosemite and back to SFO. I wanted to get some suggestions about those areas and how easy it is to ride there.
Also I have never been to the US and wanted to know if it is possible to use buses for some transfer with the bike.
I am travelling from London UK any suggestions on good airlines for carrying my bike there?
Any suggestion from whoever knows this area most welcomed!
Cheers.

I think that would be a challanging, but very diverse and scenic ride...you'll get to see some of California's best, from big city San Francisco to the legendary Big Sur and Yosemite.

San Francisco has a nice hostel if you're on a budget--but get there early, it books up fast. Don't forget to visit a couple of quaint towns--Monterey and Santa Cruz-- on your way down to Big Sur. Monterey has a world class aquarium and a great detour called "The 17 Mile Drive" that passes by the famous "Lone Cypress" tree. Santa Cruz is a surfing/college town that oozes an alternative laid-back atmosphere.

Camping is plentiful around the Big Sur area. The coast ride has lots of moderate ups and downs, but no long climbs or passes. Most of the road is narrow and winding, but very manageable. It's a biker frendly area...you'll have plenty of company.

I can't offer any advice as you travel inland to San Luis Obispo (although it's another nice bike friendly college town set amongst rolling hills.) Crossing the Central Valley to get to the Sierras could be a letdown. When I biked through that area in early summer, it was unbearably hot and humid. Towns are few and far between, so you have to be pretty self-sufficient. Not much scenery either.

Getting to Yosemite will be dangerous but rewarding--no shoulder, unsuspecting tourists in RV's, blind corners, steep climbs. But once you reach the summit and zoom downhill through the 1/2 mile long tunnel to have all of Yosemite Valley open up before your eyes, you'll know it was worth it. After your long climb, you'll want to spend at least a few days resting, hiking and taking in the sights.

IMHO, your ride takes in a lot for a 2 week trip! If you want to relax a little, an alternative would be to stick to the coast--from Oregon to Big Sur or maybe SF to the Mexican border?

If I can be of any further help, let me know.

best regards,
Ron
[email protected]
(take out the x's)

Thanks for your tips Ron! Having bought my ticket now and having had a more careful look at the distances involved I guess you are right that it would be a bit tough to ride this in 14 days leaving me very little time to rest. It's still meant to be a holiday you know!
I looked into the possibility of taking a bus transfer from SLO to Fresno as you also mentioned that riding that part could be pretty boring and not pleasant with few towns in between. Is Greyhound alright with carrying bikes around?
Also you said getting to Yosemite could be dangerous? Is Hwy 41 from Fresno to Yosemite that bad? Any better ways to get there?
Please not Tioga pass remember it is only 2 weeks.
Thank you

gianni

Your route is actually very doable! You get to see the nicest part of the CA coast and arguably, THE best national park in the USA (or at least in the top 3)...and in-between, you'll travel through some rolling countryside and lots of flat farmland for contrast and change of pace, if nothing else. Biking through this area, you'll get a good idea how big CA really is.

Not sure when you're going, but if you travel around April or May, the weather should be pleasant in the Central Valley. During the summer, it can reach 100 degrees F. easily. April in Yosemite is also a perfect time to go. The weather is warming up, waterfalls are in full force and the crowds haven't arrived yet.

You are right--Hwy 41 would be your most direct route going into Yosemite. Unfortunately, there aren't any detours coming from the south. If you get an early start, you should do fine (If I can do it, anybody can ;-) I'm thinking that you will take Hwy 120 west to Modesto on your way out?...or maybe 140 to Mariposa? If you are going early in the season, check to see if they are passable. (Yea, Tioga Pass --10,000 ft high--will take you to Mono Lake and the Eastern Sierras. The road doesn't open until summer--too much snow! You want to save that for another trip.)

I'm not sure if the bus will allow bikes on-board. Maybe someone can chime in on this. You can also splurge and take the Amtrak train (www.Amtrak.com). Not sure, but depending on the route, you may have to box your bike. Seems like there's a transfer from San Louis Obispo (SLO) to Hanford (HNF) to Fresno (FNO). It's about a 4 hour train ride.

hope this helps,
Ron

My mistake...according to the Amtrak website, there isn't any train from SLO to Hanford--only a bus line. From Hanford to Fresno, you can take the train.

--Ron

Many thanks for your tips and encouragement. From what you say it is not a bad area to bike around for someone who has never been outside Europe!
Take care and might send some pics.
Gianni