140mm/160mm rotors

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by stevemtbsteve, Jan 4, 2004.

1. stevemtbsteve

stevemtbsteve New Member

I am loking to upgrade my rear disc with a hope mono mini, i will be attaching it to a santa cruz superlight frame. There are two options for rotor size 140mm or 160mm. Anyone have any views on the pro's and cons of either or which one to go for. Or is it just simply a case of bigger rotor more power, but a bit heavier

Cheers
    Steve

Tags:

2. Hecubus

Hecubus New Member

Not much sense in going with 140mm rears anymore. Its just a bit lighter. Get the 160mm for more power, thats pretty much the standard rotor size now.

3. Greg-O

Greg-O New Member

the 140mm won't be much lighter. Go with the 160mm to get the larger radius and more stopping power

4. stevemtbsteve

stevemtbsteve New Member

160 rotor onboard now, looks cool and will get it out and bed it in tomorrow. Many thanks

Cheers
    Steve

5. andygard

andygard New Member

I have the new mono minis on my marin mount vision 160 rear and 180 front. 160 is really the minimum you should ever go for, OK for rear. The 180 front comes with sintered pads(Gold pad back plate) and the 160 standard pads. The sintered take a little longer to bed in but work fabulously after 3 or 4 good rides.

I'd go for 180 up front as the cost is the same anyway, I find that the rear is slightly more powereful than my old XT v'S but not much, no point in going 180 for the rear as any more power than locks the wheels is useless. However 140 is alittle too small and I'm sure good XT'vs would be better.

6. mtnrider

mtnrider New Member

go for the 160 mm more power, the wieght it ads shouldn't be noticeable over 140, maybe if youv'e been riding the same bike with the 140s on em would you notice a slight difference.

7. stevemtbsteve

stevemtbsteve New Member

many thanks for all advice recieved :) this thread is way old now, to save anyone else responding, I have been riding with my lovely rear hope mini mono with its 160mm roter for over a year, and it's smashing, it encourages me to keep pushing myself to the limits and judging by the bruises/ scrapes beyond