15 Bean Soup

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!

    <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    Sheryl, for your concern.

    Thanks,
    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the
    > dried beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned
    > tomatoes, chili powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this
    > stuff good as-is, or should we be adding some other seasonings (I
    > assume that a bay leaf is in order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd
    > better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when
    > I don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in
    > advance, Sheryl, for your concern.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carol

    LOL I tried it once. You definitely need to add something more to it. Bay
    leaf, absolutely. Ham if you have it towards the end (and I think you do).
    If you can use a ham base or some kind of broth (chicken?) rather than just
    the water they suggest - well, that ham powder doesn't have a lot of taste
    to it. But I think it can be doctored up pretty nicely. I know you don't
    like spicy but I'd add a shot or two of Tabasco to it; that's just me.

    Jill

  3. A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

    > I tried it once. You definitely need to add something more to it. Bay
    >leaf, absolutely. Ham if you have it towards the end (and I think you do).

    Nope, the ham has bitten the proverbial dust. We had about enough left for
    one more breakfast of omelettes when I discovered a tiny, pine-green spot
    of mold. Mold and I don't co-exist very well. Bacon is a possible option.

    >If you can use a ham base or some kind of broth (chicken?) rather than just
    >the water they suggest - well, that ham powder doesn't have a lot of taste
    >to it.

    Too late. It's already in the water, but we could add some chicken
    bouillon. We also have bacon grease, even if we decide not to cook any to
    add to the soup. I love bacon grease as an ingredient.

    >But I think it can be doctored up pretty nicely. I know you don't
    >like spicy but I'd add a shot or two of Tabasco to it; that's just me.

    We're out of regular chili powder, so we'll be using Hott Damn powder.
    Probably won't need the Tabasco.

    Thanks, Jill!
    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  4. Maverick

    Maverick Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    > don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    > Sheryl, for your concern.

    Sheryl, hell! Watch out for Sheldon!

    > Thanks,
    > Carol
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

    Bret

  5. A little birdie told me that "Maverick" <[email protected]> said:

    >"Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    >> beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    >> powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    >> should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    >> order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >>
    >> <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    >> don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    >> Sheryl, for your concern.

    >Sheryl, hell! Watch out for Sheldon!

    Nah, my mom passed in 1984, so Sheldon has no one to insult. Besides, he's
    been quite pleasant lately. Even fun. :)

    BTW, the soup is fabulous! Crash added cayenne pepper and shredded
    cheddar to his. I added basil, parmesan cheese, and Penzey's red bell
    pepper to mine. It'll be better with ham or sausage, but this was a very
    frugal, very delicious dinner. Two-thirds of the soup is already gone!
    (I'm picking the lima beans out)

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the
    > > dried beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned
    > > tomatoes, chili powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this
    > > stuff good as-is, or should we be adding some other seasonings (I
    > > assume that a bay leaf is in order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd
    > > better like this stuff!
    > >
    > > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix

    when
    > > I don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in
    > > advance, Sheryl, for your concern.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Carol

    > LOL I tried it once. You definitely need to add something more to

    it. Bay
    > leaf, absolutely. Ham if you have it towards the end (and I think

    you do).
    > If you can use a ham base or some kind of broth (chicken?) rather

    than just
    > the water they suggest - well, that ham powder doesn't have a lot of

    taste
    > to it. But I think it can be doctored up pretty nicely. I know you

    don't
    > like spicy but I'd add a shot or two of Tabasco to it; that's just

    me.

    > Jill

    I like celery in my bean soups, carrots too, for color, otherwise bean
    soups can look kinda blah. And if you don't have a ham bone slice in a
    couple quality hot dogs... just about anyone can get their mitts on a
    weenie... talking about weenies, whatever happened to the edleweenie?

    Sheldon

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the
    > > dried beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned
    > > tomatoes, chili powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this
    > > stuff good as-is, or should we be adding some other seasonings (I
    > > assume that a bay leaf is in order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd
    > > better like this stuff!
    > >
    > > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix

    when
    > > I don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in
    > > advance, Sheryl, for your concern.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Carol

    > LOL I tried it once. You definitely need to add something more to

    it. Bay
    > leaf, absolutely. Ham if you have it towards the end (and I think

    you do).
    > If you can use a ham base or some kind of broth (chicken?) rather

    than just
    > the water they suggest - well, that ham powder doesn't have a lot of

    taste
    > to it. But I think it can be doctored up pretty nicely. I know you

    don't
    > like spicy but I'd add a shot or two of Tabasco to it; that's just

    me.

    > Jill

    I like celery in my bean soups, carrots too, for color, otherwise bean
    soups can look kinda blah. And if you don't have a ham bone slice in a
    couple quality hot dogs... just about anyone can get their mitts on a
    weenie... talking about weenies, whatever happened to the edleweenie?

    Sheldon

  8. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:13:47 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    > don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    > Sheryl, for your concern.

    I've never tried a 15 bean "mix" with anything other than beans in it,
    but I love it!! If you're worried about flavor, just remember to salt
    your soup at the end. If it tastes bland, add a little more salt.

    If you're still worried, start off by adding a can of chicken broth or
    using a ham hock/bone... I'd just throw it in at the beginning and
    fish out the bone at the end. I also think adding a small can of
    stewed tomato is good (NO chili powder for me though - that's not a
    flavor I want in soup), onion and garlic are a must, bay only if you
    wish, lemon will change the flavor too, but not as much as chili
    powder.

    Here's what I think is absolutely necessary: onion, garlic and salt.
    The rest is superfluous.

  9. Try a tablespoon or two of dry sherry added before serving. (Try a bit ön
    the side"before adding it to the entire soup, in case u don't like it :)

    Richard.
    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    > don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    > Sheryl, for your concern.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carol
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  10. A little birdie told me that "Richard Green" <[email protected]>
    said:

    >Try a tablespoon or two of dry sherry added before serving. (Try a bit ön
    >the side"before adding it to the entire soup, in case u don't like it :)

    I kept thinking it needed beer. I don't drink the stuff - ever, but I like
    to cook with it from time to time. Sherry's good, too.

    Carol
    --

  11. A little birdie told me that sf <[email protected]> said:

    >I've never tried a 15 bean "mix" with anything other than beans in it,
    >but I love it!! If you're worried about flavor, just remember to salt
    >your soup at the end. If it tastes bland, add a little more salt.
    >
    >If you're still worried, start off by adding a can of chicken broth or
    >using a ham hock/bone... I'd just throw it in at the beginning and
    >fish out the bone at the end. I also think adding a small can of
    >stewed tomato is good (NO chili powder for me though - that's not a
    >flavor I want in soup), onion and garlic are a must, bay only if you
    >wish, lemon will change the flavor too, but not as much as chili
    >powder.
    >
    >Here's what I think is absolutely necessary: onion, garlic and salt.
    >The rest is superfluous.

    I didn't remember to add salt and pepper, as the directions instructed. It
    would have made all the difference in the world. We'll salt and pepper the
    final bowl of it when we fight over it tomorrow.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  12. GoombaP

    GoombaP Guest

    Throw away that seasoning packet, it's awful. Get a couple of smoked hocks
    and cook them with the soup along with a diced large onion. It's absolutely
    heaven.

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    > don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    > Sheryl, for your concern.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carol
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  13. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > A little birdie told me that "Richard Green" <[email protected]>
    > said:
    >
    >> Try a tablespoon or two of dry sherry added before serving. (Try a
    >> bit ön the side"before adding it to the entire soup, in case u don't
    >> like it :)

    > I kept thinking it needed beer. I don't drink the stuff - ever, but
    > I like to cook with it from time to time. Sherry's good, too.
    >
    > Carol

    Beer certainly wouldn't hurt. And of course I forgot to mention onion,
    garlic (and celery if you have it) - those are sort of a 'given'. Maybe
    even carrots as Sheldon suggested. Bay leaf (to me) in bean soup is also a
    'given'. Black pepper, of course. Penzey's tellicherry blend is nice. And
    yes, as sf suggested, salt at the end. I prefer to salt each serving to
    taste rather than dumping salt into the entire pot. I love the idea of
    grated cheese on this sort of bean soup. I do that with my 5 Bean. But I
    also like hot sauce or cayenne pepper in bean soup, too. Again, to taste in
    each serving.

    Jill

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    > Thanks,
    > Carol

    Powdered ham stuff? Eeeewww. Where's the hambone from that ginormous
    ham you had? I'd use that in there, too. The soup is good -- I think
    there's been a contest to see how many dried legumes can be used -- when
    I first saw those things they were 7-bean soup, then 9-bean soup, then
    12-bean soup -- like, "Aha! My chance to get rid of these dried
    legumes!" <grin> Personally, I'm inclined to navy bean soup -- haven't
    made split pea in eons. What I really like are lentils but Rob doesn't
    go for those. If there are too many black beans in the mix, the soup
    can look kind of grim. Sure, a bayleaf would be nice. As always,
    correct the seasoning before serving (I think that means salt and pepper
    to taste. :) (Don't forget the Gas-X)
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
    Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

  15. "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A little birdie told me that "Richard Green" <[email protected]>
    > said:
    >
    >>Try a tablespoon or two of dry sherry added before serving. (Try a bit ön
    >>the side"before adding it to the entire soup, in case u don't like it :)

    > I kept thinking it needed beer. I don't drink the stuff - ever, but I
    > like
    > to cook with it from time to time. Sherry's good, too.
    >
    > Carol
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  16. Well, the sherry idea is to add some acid to the mix, I think the Italians
    call it a "digestivo' or some such thing. Any way, try the sherry, or some
    balsamic and a bit of sugar, or some lime/lemon, whatever. It just gives a
    bean/lentil soup or stew a zest it can't otherwise get, no matter what other
    ingredients you add.
    Richard.
    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    > don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    > Sheryl, for your concern.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carol
    > --
    > Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  17. A.C.

    A.C. Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!

    carol, any sort of smoked pork will go great with the beans. bacon, smoked
    ham hocks and if you can get a country ham bone you'll be in heaven! onions
    also work really well. i never use any of the packet thingies that come in
    the bean packaging. they just cheapen the taste imo. i was lucky enough to
    cook a country ham last saturday and saved the bones for beans. i now have
    about a gallon of the best pinto beans i've ever made thanks to that ham
    bone!

  18. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Neither Crash nor I have ever tried it, but we bought a bag of the dried
    > beans with powdered ham stuff last night. You add canned tomatoes, chili
    > powder, lemon juice, onions and garlic. Is this stuff good as-is, or
    > should we be adding some other seasonings (I assume that a bay leaf is in
    > order)? This is a 20-ounce bag. We'd better like this stuff!
    >
    > <sarcasm> I know, I know. How can I buy a whole bag of soup mix when I
    > don't know whether or not I'll like it? </sarcasm> Thank you in advance,
    > Sheryl, for your concern.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Carol

    I like the stuff but like all mixes its just a mix. The flavoring is up to
    you. The flavor Packet is OK but IIRC is salty.

    Here is their website -

    http://www.hambeens.com/

    the recipe calls for ham hocks. They are responsible for a lot of the
    flavor.

    Dimitri

  19. A little birdie told me that "GoombaP" <[email protected]> said:

    >Throw away that seasoning packet, it's awful. Get a couple of smoked hocks
    >and cook them with the soup along with a diced large onion. It's absolutely
    >heaven.

    We have yet to find even a solitary ham hock in this town. If/when we do
    find some, I'm going to stock up.

    We're also planning on buying some of Penzey's broth stuff.

    Carol
    --

  20. A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

    >Beer certainly wouldn't hurt. And of course I forgot to mention onion,
    >garlic (and celery if you have it) - those are sort of a 'given'. Maybe
    >even carrots as Sheldon suggested. Bay leaf (to me) in bean soup is also a
    >'given'. Black pepper, of course. Penzey's tellicherry blend is nice. And
    >yes, as sf suggested, salt at the end. I prefer to salt each serving to
    >taste rather than dumping salt into the entire pot. I love the idea of
    >grated cheese on this sort of bean soup. I do that with my 5 Bean. But I
    >also like hot sauce or cayenne pepper in bean soup, too. Again, to taste in
    >each serving.

    The first add-in that I thought of (besides bay leaves) was carrots. But I
    really wanted to try the original deal (as much as possible, given the
    ingredients we had on hand) before doctoring it *too* much.

    The next time I make this soup, I'm going to leave the chili powder out,
    and find another spin to put on it. It was very good, but it tasted too
    much like chili. I'd like to have a soup that has its own flavor.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon