15 mm cone wrench vs. 15 mm pedal wrench

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Greg Terry, May 12, 2003.

  1. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?

    Thanks for your advice, Greg

    Tags:

  2. "Greg Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice, Greg

    It would maybe work once or twice, if you're lucky, but with the necessary torque to fasten and
    unfasten the pedals, your cone wrench would shortly be scrap. The chance of slippage is great,
    with the risk of personal injury or equipment damage. If you can't afford a good pedal wrench,
    maybe you could find a used (but good) thin 15mm open end wrench. Or wait 'till you can afford
    something correct.

  3. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    >(inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?

    Many pedals today have a 6mm hex key on the spindle. Phil Brown

  4. Greg Terry wrote:

    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice, Greg

    cheap pedal wrench - get a std combination wrench (pawn shop/thrift store) and *carefully* grind it
    thin enough (keep it as cool as possible). cut the box end off and use a piece of pipe as a cheater.
    you will scrap a cone wrench in no time as a pedal wrench.

  5. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    Thanks for great advice. This is a great ng for a newbie like me.

  6. Dr. Dave

    Dr. Dave Guest

    Greg Terry wrote:
    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice, Greg

    Not the best choice, but often a small (150mm, 6 inch) adjustable wrench will have narrow enough
    jaws to use on a pedal. You can slip a piece of pipe over the end of the wrench for more leverage if
    needed (watch your thread directions). Pedal shafts are usually pretty hard, so the risk of
    stripping the flats with the adjustable wrench is minimal if you adjust it carefully, but the risk
    is still there.

  7. Greg Terry wrote:
    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?

    I've shattered a bunch of cone wrenches that way, not recommended!

    For home use, my recommendation is the Park HCW-6, which features a handy 32 mm headset wrench at
    the other end.

    Sheldon "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" Brown
    | Small change can often be found under seat cushions. | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  8. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    check out the pedal renawvel method in "diy bike cable luber"!! itsa winner.

  9. John Carrier

    John Carrier Guest

    I've never had a problem using standard 15mm wrenches for pedals.

    R / John

  10. John Carrier wrote:

    > I've never had a problem using standard 15mm wrenches for pedals.

    You've been lucky. Many pedals don't have sufficient clearance to fit a standard wrench, need
    something thinner--but not as thin as a cone wrench.

    Sheldon "Craftsman Combo With A Cheater Pipe" Brown
    | Science is nothing but trained and organized common sense, | differing from the latter only as a
    | veteran may differ from | a raw recruit: and its methods differ from those of common | sense
    | only as far as the guardsman's cut and thrust differ | from the manner in which a savage wields
    | his club. | --T.H. Huxley |