15 Months for killing cyclist

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kennedy Fraser, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. BBC reports

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3479669.stm

    This is the driver of a van who knocked a cyclist off (with a wing mirror) causing a fatal fractured
    skull and then drove off and lied to the police when questioned.

    15 months for the dangerous driving and 3 months for peverting the course of justice plus a 2 year
    driving ban.

    Kennedy

    Tags:

  2. Kennedy Fraser wrote:
    > BBC reports
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3479669.stm
    >
    > This is the driver of a van who knocked a cyclist off (with a wing mirror) causing a fatal
    > fractured skull and then drove off and lied to the police when questioned.
    >
    > 15 months for the dangerous driving and 3 months for peverting the course of justice plus a 2 year
    > driving ban.
    >
    > Kennedy

    Bit harsh, it was only pleb^H^H^H^H cyclist after all...

  3. Nobody760

    Nobody760 Guest

    Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his sentence REDUCED for killing a
    young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong.
    Sentences for killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are pathetic.

    After hearing this today I asked myself just who is responsible for this ludicrous state of
    affairs? Well the answer is you and me. Everyone over the age of 18 (with a few exceptions)
    has the vote. So what am I going to do about it? What are you going to do about it? Will you
    contact your MP? Will you make a noise and say this is bloody wrong. I am just an ordinary
    citizen. Laws like the ones that do not greatly penalise these killers were made in the end
    by YOUR elected representatives.

    Ok I am cynical in my old age, cars are coveted, desired and selfishly used. In the end I
    have met no car owner that was ever willing to give up his 'freedom' or his 'divine right'
    to own a car whatever logical and persuasive arguments are given. Governments are in the end
    happy for this to be so, lots of cars = lots of tax revenue.

  4. W K

    W K Guest

    "nobody760" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had
    his sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run.

    Wrong. He was given no sentence for killing the young boy in the first place.

    > It must disgust all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong.

    This guy got 3 months for what the illegal immigrant got 8 months for. It was reduced to 6 months,
    as that is the max you can get for hit and run. If you want to be "right thinking" get some basic
    facts straight.

  5. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    nobody760 wrote:
    > Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his sentence REDUCED for
    > killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust all decent and right thinking people
    > that this is wrong. Sentences for killing people with a combination of stupidity and
    > mobile metal are pathetic.

    It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do with immigration and not very
    much to do with cars, still less cycling.

    James

  6. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    James Annan <[email protected]> writes:
    > nobody760 wrote:
    >> Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his sentence REDUCED for
    >> killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust all decent and right thinking
    >> people that this is wrong. Sentences for killing people with a combination of stupidity
    >> and mobile metal are pathetic.
    >

    > It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do with immigration and not
    > very much to do with cars, still less cycling.

    I think I approve of the judge who did this. He's managed to whip up a meeja frenzy, *and* when
    he reduced the sentence it seemed to focus back somewhat from the immigration red-herring to the
    real issue.

    IMO one killer getting off lightly is fantastic value for a push towards fixing the system that
    routinely lets thousands of them off.

    --
    Nick Kew

  7. J

    J Guest

    "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > nobody760 wrote:
    > > Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had
    his
    > > sentence REDUCED for killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must
    disgust
    > > all decent and right thinking people that this is wrong. Sentences for killing people with a
    > > combination of stupidity and mobile metal are pathetic.
    >

    > It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do with immigration and not
    > very much to do with cars, still less cycling.

    I agree there is media pressure because the gent was an immigrant, however, doesn't mean the knees
    are misplaced just because of that.

    I think it's to do with the several things wrong in this case (1) he should not have been in the uk
    at the time (2) no licence (3) no insurance (4) drove away from accident, as well as (5) killed a
    pedestrian child. Add to that the sense that motoring deaths to vulnerable users (including
    cyclists) are treated as acts of god (I'd like more details of the mechanics of this accident but
    the police don't make it v public) ...

    and also that "normal" people have to abide by these regulations or face severe financial penalties
    (which immigrants are exempt from by means of their mobility/ lack of assets)

    And there's no wonder people are outraged at the paltry sentence handed out.

    John

  8. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >It seems to me that the current crop of jerking knees has a lot to do with immigration and not very
    >much to do with cars, still less cycling.

    Its the only reason the scum press have run with it, i'm sure. Sadly this has been happening all the
    time, but of little interest to the tabloids

    Richard Webb

  9. davebee

    davebee New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2004
    I think where the driver comes from and the legality of his status in the UK is totally irrelevant as far as a hit and run goes. I think that the punishments are far too soft though. Hit and run is almost as despicable as rape and murder in my opinion. Accidents CAN happen yes, but then leaving somebody on the road to die is just evil.

  10. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:26:51 -0000, "nobody760"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :) Only today an illegal immigrant sans licence, insurance etc. had his )sentence REDUCED for
    :killing a young boy in a hit and run. It must disgust )all decent and right thinking people that
    :this is wrong. Sentences for )killing people with a combination of stupidity and mobile metal are
    :)pathetic. ) ) After hearing this today I asked myself just who is responsible for )this ludicrous
    :state of affairs? Well the answer is you and me. Everyone )over the age of 18 (with a few
    :exceptions) has the vote.

    I once went to a polling station and picked up a ballot paper. There wasn't an appropriate box to
    place my tick, so it remained blank. Perhaps I should have written "Intentionally left blank" on it.
    --
    Comm again, Mike.