150 miles.

Keasbey

Jul 24, 2007
Ok, I've been cycling for almost 2 months. I'm in good shape - I started off with 36 miles. Then I started riding to and from work, which is 5 miles each way - when I'd get back home I wouldn't feel like stopping so I'd ride 20 miles a day. So about 100 miles a week for 2 weeks. Now I'm temporarily living 40 miles away from work (why move 40 miles away you ask? Well, from a dorm room to a doctor's house it's worth the drive), and won't be commuting again until December. So I've been riding a little less frequently, now I average about 50 miles a week which consist of my long rides on Tuesdays, and sometimes Thursdays I'll either ride far, or short and hard (the area I'm living at now is a little less cyclist friendly, and I haven't gotten up quite enough motivation to go out and explore).

I then did a 50 mile ride to see if I could. I could. So I tried 60. No problems, except for my legs were getting a little sore, but if I get off and stretch for a couple minutes I'm good for another 20 then time for another stretch. My interest is in endurance cycling, not so much racing.

My question is, there is a 150 mile ride coming up on October 14th. I really want to do it! The problem is, I kind of lack the training for something that long, but I know I'm capable, I average 18mph, and I'm pretty good at climbing (150lbs) so hills (no mountains here) aren't really a problem for me. What kind of injuries would one be at risk for, given little training, and attempting a long ride like that?

Must sound dumb I know, I tend to set my goals high very early - probably get me into trouble one day.