$1500-2000 to spend on what?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Nate1272, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Nate1272

Nate1272 New Member

Well needless to say I have a question about how to spend about 1500-2000 dollars on a new bike. I am pretty new to the road biking thing but I managed to get in about 2000 miles in last year and have found something I really like doing.

I bought an steel frame bike of my buddy for $200 that is slightly to big for me and I want to get a new bike. The components on this bike are all Campy Chorus and are only about 4 years old. So I am looking for some opinions on what to do with my allowance(given to me by my wife) of 1500-2000.

I have thought about purchasing a Ti Habanero frame and buiding it up with my old campy stuff. But then I would still have to purchase a wheelset and all that. I have also considerered buying a whole new bike from Habanero with campy centaur for about $2000.

Do you guys have any ideas? I am really just looking for a way to get a bike that is going to last me for a long..... time and has a smooth, nice ride, but is still relatively light.

Ideas????

Tags:

2. HotLips

HotLips New Member

Try a cannondale or trek or similar, as good reputation, good warranty and should last a while. I have 2005 CAAD 8 R1000 Cannondale (2 wks old) and is light (approx 8kg with water bottles etc) comfy, responsive and nice to ride.

But every bike will feel different to each person, so try a few and get a set up for frame size. cheaper to usually but a complete bike rather than build your own, unless you going for a unique bike or are fussy about every single gram. :)

3. RobotDeathSquad

RobotDeathSquad New Member

If you liked the ride of your steely, you could get a nice steel bike from any of the big makers with Ultegra components in that price point. And still have some $$ for some nice shorts/jerseys/helmet/gloves/shoes/pedals, etc.

I spent $1600 4 months ago on a Specialized Allez Elite, Adias shoes, Crank Bros. Candy Pedals, and all the accessories and I am very happy with my purchase.