$1500 to Spend on Road Bike

senator52

Mar 25, 2006
Well i am a poor uni student attempting to buy a road bike in the near future:rolleyes: i am looking at spending around $2000 total on the bike and accessories. This is quite a stretch however for someone paying university fees as well. I will buy a bike soon, just how soon is the question...my question is how much should i put into the bike and how much into the accessories? $1500 for the bike, $500 for the accessories??? I am hoping to get Shoes, pedals and a computer...but should i buy knicks and a jersey straight up too?

Plus i was wondering what bike would be an advisable option? I like the look of the Felt F80 because I am hoping to get a 105groupset as minimum. Other options like the Allez and OCR range or Trek's are all alot more expensive with the 105 gear. Should i extend the budget on the bike, and go cheap on pedals and shoes? Thanx for your advice:)

PS. Currency is Australian Dollars

If you're a poor university student, it's dumb to spend that much on a bike. Don't buy a new bike at all. Buy used. Look on ebay and at local thrift stores. Some bike shops sell used, too.

Yes, go cheap on pedals and shoes. And buy padded shorts/bib right off. The jersey you could wait on.

senator52 said:
Well i am a poor uni student attempting to buy a road bike in the near future:rolleyes: i am looking at spending around $2000 total on the bike and accessories. This is quite a stretch however for someone paying university fees as well. I will buy a bike soon, just how soon is the question...my question is how much should i put into the bike and how much into the accessories? $1500 for the bike, $500 for the accessories??? I am hoping to get Shoes, pedals and a computer...but should i buy knicks and a jersey straight up too?

Plus i was wondering what bike would be an advisable option? I like the look of the Felt F80 because I am hoping to get a 105groupset as minimum. Other options like the Allez and OCR range or Trek's are all alot more expensive with the 105 gear. Should i extend the budget on the bike, and go cheap on pedals and shoes? Thanx for your advice:)

PS. Currency is Australian Dollars
Get a used bike and upgrade the wheelset. Look for closeouts or discontinued models on line or by mail order if you really want to go new. Sometimes these bikes have groupos on them which would cost more if you just ordered the groupo. When I was in college, I had a US$450 Cannondale with low end Shimano components that worked just fine. Rolling parts are key. Don't scrimp on wheels, tires, shoes, or pedals. I had high end campy wheels and hubs, Michelin Pro tires, and Carnac shoes which were collectively more than what I spent on the bike. After you graduate, you can order a new frameset from a LBS. I am usually all about supporting the LBS, but in your case $2000 when you have no income is silly