155 mm cranks

Don

Guest
Does anyone know where I can get quality 155mm cranks without having to resort to cutting and
tapping longer ones? I did a search of this group and found lots of references to their benefit but
no source to purchase. I thought I had found some suppliers in the past but the bookmarks got wiped
when I redid my computer.

I rode a Lightning Phantom last night and the 165s that were on it were definitely too long. Since
much taller riders have found the shorter cranks advantageous I suspect I would really benefit
since I am shorter than average but always forced to ride "standard" crank lengths. That
(apparently?) did not bother me on my DFs and not too much on my Haluzak but I really noticed it on
the Phantom. I want to buy a frame and build it up so I need parts sources for the esoteric and
elusive short crank.

I see lots of BMX cranks but they are single ring and I want a triple. Thanks, Don

Don:

> Does anyone know where I can get quality 155mm cranks without having to resort to cutting and
> tapping longer ones?

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm, click "Cranksets", and look for "Thorn triple alloy
crankset", about halfway down. Prices include value added tax at 17.5%, which doesn't apply to
non-EU residents.

HTH

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Don:
>
>> Does anyone know where I can get quality 155mm cranks without having to resort to cutting and
>> tapping longer ones?
>
> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm, click "Cranksets", and look for "Thorn triple alloy
> crankset", about halfway down. Prices include value added tax at 17.5%, which doesn't apply to
> non-EU residents.
>
> HTH

On the other side of the pond, in the USA, is http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp Pretty, but
not cheap.

go to Peter White's website given below and check out his "Ordering Page", the humor is quite good
"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Don:
> >
> >> Does anyone know where I can get quality 155mm cranks without having to resort to cutting and
> >> tapping longer ones?
> >
> > http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm, click "Cranksets", and look for "Thorn triple alloy
> > crankset", about halfway down. Prices include value added tax at 17.5%, which doesn't apply to
> > non-EU residents.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> On the other side of the pond, in the USA, is http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp Pretty,
> but not cheap.

> > > http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm, click "Cranksets", and look for "Thorn triple alloy
> > > crankset", about halfway down.

The Thorn's say they need 113mm bottom bracket. Being a newbie, I am not sure what this refers to.
Is it the width? What do I call my bottom bracket, standard square taper**? Is that specific? If it
were 'splined' it wouldn't be 'square taper', right? Splined cranks have a pinch-bolt?

** not sure what brand the BB is, but I am fairly sure my stock cranks were Shimano Deore

You guys are great. Thanks. Keep the sources coming if you have more. The Thorns look the best so
far from a cost perspective and big size choice. Awsome number of sizes. The ones on Peter White's
site are too expensive. I will do a search to see if anyone offers the same brand cheaper.

Does anyone have first hand experience of the finish and quality? Any recommendation for which rings
to use (for looks and good shifting)on the Thorn. I assume it is a triple and the misplaced modifier
(Thorn Triple Alloy Crankset) does not refer to it being a triple alloy (like
chrome/molybdenum/steel).

Now I have to figure out whether I want 150 or 155s. Thanks again. Don

GeoB asked:

> The Thorn's say they need 113mm bottom bracket. Being a newbie, I am not sure what this refers to.
> Is it the width?

The length of the axle. This is not so important on a recumbent due to the length of the chain.

> What do I call my bottom bracket, standard square taper**?

If you look at the axle end-on, and the shape is square with slightly rounded edges, then it's
square taper. If it's round with castellations, it's splined. The Thorn requires the former. St John
Street Cycles web site has useful pictures of the different types.

HTH

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Thanks, Larry! But why would it matter to Thorn's cranks what axle width I run? Are they attempting
to place the pedals an optimum distance apart? Is this the 'Q' value?

> > The Thorn's say they need 113mm bottom bracket. Being a newbie, I am not sure what this refers
> > to. Is it the width?
>
> The length of the axle. This is not so important on a recumbent due to the length of the chain.

Don: My wife and I both run Thorns on our single bents (TerraTrike
3.3 + a Haluzak for me). The fit and finish are excellent. I'm sure you'll be happy with them.
Because you have to purchase chainrings, you can customize your gearing--also nice. From my
research, these are by far the best price.

Scott

[email protected] (Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> You guys are great. Thanks. Keep the sources coming if you have more. The Thorns look the best so
> far from a cost perspective and big size choice. Awsome number of sizes. The ones on Peter White's
> site are too expensive. I will do a search to see if anyone offers the same brand cheaper.
>
> Does anyone have first hand experience of the finish and quality? Any recommendation for which
> rings to use (for looks and good shifting)on the Thorn. I assume it is a triple and the misplaced
> modifier (Thorn Triple Alloy Crankset) does not refer to it being a triple alloy (like
> chrome/molybdenum/steel).
>
> Now I have to figure out whether I want 150 or 155s. Thanks again. Don

The 113mm BB width only pertains to DFs. If the bottom bracket is not wide enough the inner ring
scrapes the chain stay on DFs. It is typical for triple cranks to require a wider BB on DFs.

I just took a look at my Haluzak. I could pull the crank way in and not scrape the frame with the
inner chain ring. HOWEVER---(and this is a big one) I am not sure the triple front derailler would
work. It's mounting puts it just right for a triple crank on a wider BB. I am not sure if it would
adjust any closer. So beware.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> GeoB asked:
>
> > The Thorn's say they need 113mm bottom bracket. Being a newbie, I am not sure what this refers
> > to. Is it the width?
>
> The length of the axle.

Since the part of the bottom bracket that the crank arms attach to rotates, it is a spindle and
not an axle.

An axle is a stationary [1] fulcrum that has a lever [2] rotating around
it.

[1] Relative to a reference frame, i.e. the axles on a bicycle in motion are stationary (we hope!)
relative to the dropouts.
[2] A wheel is a special form of a lever.

Tom Sherman - Recumbent Pedant Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You soon find out the pig likes
it! - Unknown

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:22:29 -0500, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:

>On the other side of the pond, in the USA, is http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp Pretty,
>but not cheap.

Hostel Shoppe also stocks short TA cranks (150, 155 and 160 only). $150 for bare crank arms.

If comparing to prices from British web sites like St. John Street Cycles, remember that British
(and most European) prices include VAT which foreign customers do not need to pay. (Though the
customer's own state/country may charge duty or use tax.)

I have been following this thread closely. Can anyone compare/contrast the TAs with the Thorns?
Quality, weight, finish? I have not been able to find a web page for either to get weights and maybe
better pictures. I am not sure what the finish is on the Thorns. Looks dark in the pics on the St.
Johns Street Cycles web site.

Joshua Goldberg <[email protected]> wrote:
: go to Peter White's website given below and check out his "Ordering Page", the humor is quite good

Hmm. "Carrier pigeon security protocols are currently in beta testing." Actually one can run TCP/IP
over carrier pigeon (yeah it's been implemented, think they used RedHat Linux 8.0 or something), so
that means you could run all the standard security-enhanced protocols: https, ipsec, yadda yadda.
Besides, you can accumulate regular flyer miles.

I'm happy to see progressive equipment vendors support this communication method.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ risto varanka at no spam please helsinki fi

Ken Kobayashi <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:22:29 -0500, rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On the other side of the pond, in the USA, is http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp Pretty,
> >but not cheap.
>
> Hostel Shoppe also stocks short TA cranks (150, 155 and 160 only). $150 for bare crank arms.

checking Hostel Shoppe I found this:

Tandems East Crankarm ShortenersMachined from billet aluminum, the Tandems East crankarm shorteners
are lighter than their competitors and very effective. The most obvious application is for children,
but they are great for shorter adults or anyone that has hip, joint or knee problems that prevent
full range-of-motion with a standard length crank. Choose from four positions to shorten crankarms.
300 grams per pair. Manufacturer: Tandems East Product Notes:Standard fits crankarms up to 29mm
wide. Wide fits crankarms up to 38mm wide.

It seems to be a very easy answer to the shorter crank question-
and for $80.-90. is a pretty cheap way without changing the whole BB.

Chris Jordan

On 21 Apr 2003 07:09:10 -0700, [email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote:

>checking Hostel Shoppe I found this:
>
>Tandems East Crankarm Shorteners
<snip>
> It seems to be a very easy answer to the shorter crank question-
> and for $80.-90. is a pretty cheap way without changing the whole BB.

Doesn't this result in a huge Q factor? It might work well for some people but not everyone.

I just purchased a very slightly used set of 160mm TA Alize(triple) Beautifully finished, machined
crankset. A lot better finish that the generic Suntour, Shimano mt cranks I also have. Peter Whites
home page will have the info you desire as far as weight is concerned.

mr bill