15mm cone vs. 15 mm pedal wrench

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Greg Terry, May 12, 2003.

  1. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?

    Thanks for your advice, Greg

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Greg Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice, Greg

    Get the pedal wrench. You'll need the extra leverage it provides.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, slacker7 @sbcglobal.net says...
    > "Greg Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your advice, Greg
    >

    > Get the pedal wrench. You'll need the extra leverage it provides.
    > --
    > Slacker

    IME, just a regular 15mm wrench (ie, craftsman, snap-on, etc) works just fine. If it ain't got the
    leverage, then you need to build up your arms ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

  4. In article <[email protected]>, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Greg Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your advice, Greg
    >

    > Get the pedal wrench. You'll need the extra leverage it provides.

    Using a cone wrench on the pedals can wreck the wrench. Fortunately, many (if not most) modern
    pedals have wide enough flats to take a standard 15mm open-end wrench. All my SPD, clone, oe-clip
    and flat pedals work this way.

  5. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    Thanks all!

  6. "Greg Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?

    I've found that the cone wrench works fine. I don't torque my pedals at all. Just screw them in by
    hand and go. I check at each stop if the pedal has worked its way out. Hasn't ever happened.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Greg Terry wrote:
    > I'm a newbie, need to switch some pedals between 2 bikes. Any chance a 15 mm cone wrench
    > (inexpensive) will do the job of a 15 mm pedal wrench (expensive)?
    >
    > Thanks for your advice, Greg

    1st try a regular wrench. It'll work on most pedals. If not, I wouldn't use a cone wrench. If the
    pedals are evenly slightly stuck, it won't be strong enough. If you have an old wrench around that's
    the right size, you could always put it on the grinder (I've done that). And, I always torque the
    pedals to spec (you can usually use a hex wrench from the back) -- I find that this leads to one
    less place that a tough to find "bottom bracket" creak can come from :).

    David

  8. Greg Terry

    Greg Terry Guest

    "And, I always torque the pedals to spec (you can usually use a hex wrench from the back) -- I find
    that this leads to one less place that a tough to find "bottom bracket" creak can come from :)."

    David: Thanks! I was just going to post a question about a mysterious bottom bracket creak. Maybe
    that'll take care of it.