15mph, am I too weak?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by caineroad, Oct 8, 2009.

1. caineroad

caineroad New Member

I used to ride recreational bikes and now I move onto a road bike - Trek 1.5. When I am riding on flat road, 15mph is already 60-70% of my max, my maximum speed recorded was 28mph. Am I too weak? Need more base miles training?

Cheers

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

More speed will likely come with more miles.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Too weak for what? Depends on where you want to be, as far as speed.
    In general it sounds like you need for miles to build endurance and power, but just doing more miles will not necessarily give you more power.
    It depends on how you do those miles.

4. alienator

Hey, mods: how long does this jerk, roadhouse, get to insult people? How do you want newbies welcomed to your forum, Steve? You want it done as roadhouse does? How many times does the guy have to prove that he can't follow the rules?

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Caine,

Don't pay too much attention to Roadhouse, he's just like that little annoying terrier that follows you around and sh1ts on your front lawn. Every now and then the moderator pops up and boots him out and rubs his nose in the sh1t. He comes out all tough talking about riding 100 miles this and that but I asked him if he wanted to do 200 mile ride over 8 mountain passes in the Sierras next year - the silence was deafening. Even tumbleweeds blowing across the empty threads could be heard over a mile away... He's full o' sh1t and has no balls to back up his derisory comments. Maybe one day mommy will boot him outa the bedroom with cases packed.

As for you being 'too weak' - you gotta start somewhere. Sometimes that somewhere isn't where you want to be or even where you think you should be. Go out, have some fun on the bike and just start out by upping your pace/effort a little. You don't have to go out and make every ride a suffer fest but at least make it hard enough to where your breathing becomes laboured. Ride consistently, at least several times a week and you'll noticed that fitness will improve.

Have fun.

6. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I was getting pretty depressed for those 20-30 minutes while I kept hitting refresh and wondering why there was no response from you yet.

Ok, I did notice posts #4 and #6 getting increasingly agitated and confrontational. So, you're saying that's what provoked your comments in post #3? See, I was thinking maybe it was the other way 'round.

You do realize that your initial response in post #3 is the one that seems most out of line to a relatively simple question from a new poster, right? Do you know that other poster or have some feuding history that the rest of us don't know about?

7. swampy1970

It was more of a challenge than an invite - but either way it amounts to almost the same thing as you were mouthing off about how great you were blah, blah, blah. As as wiser man once said "either put up, or shut up" - so if you're the next coming of Christ on a bike you'll likely have a result or two to "put up" on the board....

Alta Alpina Challenge.

It's near Lake Tahoe and is 198.5 miles long, has ~21,000ft of climbing over 8 passes, most of which are over 8,000ft. The hardest 4 climbs of the day make up the last 70 miles.

I've heard from the organizing club that the event will be held next June with the exactly date still to be decided.

Course Profile:
    http://www.altaalpina.org/challenge/webimages/8PassProfile.png

Course Map:
    http://www.altaalpina.org/challenge/webimages/8PassMapF.png

Course Description:
    Alta Alpina Challenge

Despite it being held in California and in June, this years event was fecking freezing cold. We had snow flurries on the top of Carson pass, freezing rain on Ebbetts and there were still some snow to be found on the sides of the road on Ebbetts. Becoming slowly frozen on the fastest descent of the day after 150miles, I stopped thinking that the axle in my back wheel had broken, the bike was wobbling that much but alas it was just me shivering. LOL. Even with all my gear on and rain jacket bellowing up like the Michelin man, it was still a near 60mph descent.

It'll test your endurance, your bike handling and your sense of humor.

The ride support was awesome.

8. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi there, often when there are delays like this its usually due to timezones. Perhaps we need a couple more mods who are based in the USA?

regards

9. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Nope, in fact cycling requires very little strength. If you can ride slowly for a couple of hours, you probably should adding some high intensity intervals to your rides.

Head over to here: Cycling Training - Cycling Forums and here: Power Training - Cycling Forums There are a lot of threads some very knowledgeable coaches and riders have contributed to.

10. swampy1970

You mean you don't have an iPhone picking up SMS messages relayed from the server? What part of 1994 are you stuck in? :p

Give me admin rights to this place and let me have at that ban button...

:D

11. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

We all have one of these at work Palm Australia - Products - Treo Pro smartphone by Palm

The last thing I want is an reported post SMS/email waking me up at 2am. Only important messages regarding server outage alerts or urgent support tickets go to it. ;)

12. gman0482

gman0482 Member

I recall your invite/challenge to him very clearly Swampy. I highly doubt it will happen though, as you need an actual bike to do it. Can't plug in a Nintendo or Playstation and try to race.

Caineroad, I'm just a rookie/newbie, but I started cycling in July and used to die after 8 miles @ 12 mph. Now I can hold a solid 18-19 mph and do 25 milers after work or 35-50 milers on days off, nothing much but I'm happy. You can get there faster than you think, keep cycling.

-Greg

13. alienator

Is the long goodbye done yet? The exit door's got a big sign on it, so it can't be missed.

14. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

What the above said. Speed will develop itself, don't give up. I still have off-days where I struggle to average a decent speed.

Steve, you have a PM...

The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them, they'll eventually go away on their own.

15. Piotr

Piotr New Member

Speed doesn't matter. I won a race @ 12 MPH... OK, it was a hillclimb :), but speed is relative to the terrain, wind, and duration of the ride. My longer rides are usually 15-17 MPH depending on which route I take. Whatever you do, don't compare race speeds with your training rides. It will be discouraging and unnecessarily so.

16. Beverly Stayart

Beverly Stayart New Member

You're not too weak. Who are you comparing yourself to? The only comparisons you should make are to your own past performance, not someone else's. If you keep training, you will make progress over time. Be patient.

17. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

+1

And have fun while you do it.

18. hod65

hod65 New Member

im sure you fill your day with doing amazing things:p

19. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

All this crap still goin on on this site. No wonder people are going elsewhere. It'd be good not haveing to sift through the crap to get to descent advice all the time.

20. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I've always been a believer in the gradual improvement school.

As you gain more and more mileage, your ability to ride at a quicker pace over longer distances will improve.

15mph is a respectable speed anyhow.

Don't become influenced by professional times/speeds.
    Those guys are at the apex of the sport.

Remember improvement in the sport is more like a marathon than a sprint (in most cases).