16" forks with disc mounts

Projectitis

Feb 19, 2012
Is that asking too much?

I have (almost) completed my electric scooter based on an adult size kick scooter with 16" wheels. The only thing is that test drives show the brakes are very, very poor. They are long reach calipers front and rear with soft rubber pads for maximum friction, but they still don't work well. Top speed on the scooter is around 32 km/h - not that high.

You can see the scooter at http://www.projectitis.com/?cat=20

Does anyone know:
- Is it possible to get forks for 16" wheel with disc mounts?
- If not, anyone know someone in palmy/Wellington region who fabricates bike parts?
- If not, is there an alternative to long-reach calipers that will give me more stopping power?
- If I rough up the rims (what with?) will that help, or will it just gum up with brake pad rubber?

Cheers,
Peter

FWIW. There are a few BMX forks which have mounts for disc brake caliprs which may work for you ... the dropout to shoulder distance [COLOR= #808080]may-or[/COLOR]-may-not be the same.

• HARO has a fork which has disc brake mounts
  • however, the steerer size may be different than what your frame's fork has

The other options require knowing someone who can fabricate-or-cannibalize some disc caliper mounts from another fork to weld onto your existing ([COLOR= #808080]hopefully, steel[/COLOR]) fork AND bolster the existing fork to take the addiional stress which the disc brake will impart to the fork.