$1600 for a Cross Check at my LBS?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gooserider, Mar 24, 2006.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've bought a
    bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
    know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
    pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600. Hey,
    I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure his
    price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it together.
    Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
    Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
    just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
    similar.

  3. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've bought a
    > bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
    > know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
    > pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600. Hey,
    > I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure his
    > price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it together.
    > Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
    price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
    Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.

    Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
    something similar, they're on crack.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates

  4. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've
    >> bought a
    >> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
    >> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
    >> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600.
    >> Hey,
    >> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure
    >> his
    >> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it
    >> together.
    >> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    > Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
    > price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
    > Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
    >
    > Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
    > something similar, they're on crack.

    Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson USA
    or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

  5. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
    > Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
    > just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
    > similar.

    Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the spec
    should be the same.

  6. Luke

    Luke Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Gooserider
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've
    > >> bought a
    > >> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
    > >> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
    > >> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600.
    > >> Hey,
    > >> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure
    > >> his
    > >> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it
    > >> together.
    > >> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    > > Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
    > > price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
    > > Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
    > >
    > > Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
    > > something similar, they're on crack.

    > Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson USA
    > or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

    Call 'em on it Goose; it'll be interesting to see what explanation they
    forward. Could be educational for everyone - including us!

    Luke

  7. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:15:57 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've
    >>> bought a
    >>> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
    >>> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
    >>> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600.
    >>> Hey,
    >>> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure
    >>> his
    >>> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it
    >>> together.
    >>> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    >> Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
    >> price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
    >> Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
    >>
    >> Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
    >> something similar, they're on crack.

    >Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson USA
    >or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

    Follow on it a little, at least enough to know if they've upgraded some of the
    componentry or added brifters or what not. If they haven't then it'll be fun, at
    least for us in the peanut gallery. Otherwise it might be a respectable deal if
    they've built up an Ultegra Check.

    Ron

  8. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:15:57 GMT, "Gooserider"
    > <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
    >>> price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
    >>> Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
    >>>
    >>> Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
    >>> something similar, they're on crack.

    >>Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson
    >>USA
    >>or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

    > Follow on it a little, at least enough to know if they've upgraded some of
    > the
    > componentry or added brifters or what not. If they haven't then it'll be
    > fun, at
    > least for us in the peanut gallery. Otherwise it might be a respectable
    > deal if
    > they've built up an Ultegra Check.
    >
    > Ron

    The thing that gets me, Ron, is that the shop owner pulled out his QBP
    catalog and told me his price was $1000 or so. I don't understand the hyooge
    markup. Maybe he's confused(he is an older gentleman, and they were busy)
    and he misread the MSRP as his price? I will check back with them, but even
    if his price is a grand, a 600 dollar markup is a bit much.

  9. Gooserider wrote:
    > Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check ....

    My friend and I were wondering about where Surly frames were made.
    They are a bit different (dimension wise) than the typical road frame.
    Are they also made overseas?

    Tom

  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
    > > Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
    > > just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
    > > similar.

    > Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the spec
    > should be the same.

    People often say things "should be" this or that but what "should be"
    often isn't. Instead of just assuming both rides are spec'ed the same,
    why not ask your LBS for a list of the specs on their bike and compare
    those specs to others?

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  11. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gooserider wrote:
    >> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
    >> > Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
    >> > just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
    >> > similar.

    >> Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the
    >> spec
    >> should be the same.

    > People often say things "should be" this or that but what "should be"
    > often isn't. Instead of just assuming both rides are spec'ed the same,
    > why not ask your LBS for a list of the specs on their bike and compare
    > those specs to others?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Hunt

    Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
    would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
    built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
    "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

  12. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've bought a
    > bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
    > know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
    > pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600. Hey,
    > I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure his
    > price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it together.
    > Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?
    >
    > Mike

    See "http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/BK0558" $929.95.

  13. > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
    > would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
    > built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
    > "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

    I finally got around to looking this one up; I don't think your dealer is
    looking up the correct bike. There is no way a dealer would sell one for
    $1600, not even a dealer trying to take advantage of someone. It's a
    slightly-sub-$1000 machine. *Maybe* somebody could try and get $1100 for
    one, but I doubt it. It's not a model we normally sell, but it appears that
    it would run about $940 if we did (part of the price is shipping, which gets
    pretty hefty on a bike ordered from QBP; with regular bike companies, if we
    order enough at one time, typically 15+, freight if often completely
    subsidized).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Gooserider wrote:
    >>> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the
    >>> spec
    >>> should be the same.

    >> People often say things "should be" this or that but what "should be"
    >> often isn't. Instead of just assuming both rides are spec'ed the same,
    >> why not ask your LBS for a list of the specs on their bike and compare
    >> those specs to others?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Bob Hunt

    > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
    > would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
    > built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
    > "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

  14. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    >> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
    >> would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
    >> built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
    >> "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

    > I finally got around to looking this one up; I don't think your dealer is
    > looking up the correct bike. There is no way a dealer would sell one for
    > $1600, not even a dealer trying to take advantage of someone. It's a
    > slightly-sub-$1000 machine. *Maybe* somebody could try and get $1100 for
    > one, but I doubt it. It's not a model we normally sell, but it appears
    > that it would run about $940 if we did (part of the price is shipping,
    > which gets pretty hefty on a bike ordered from QBP; with regular bike
    > companies, if we order enough at one time, typically 15+, freight if often
    > completely subsidized).

    I've been thinking that maybe the shop owner was mistaking MSRP for
    wholesale.

  15. > I've been thinking that maybe the shop owner was mistaking MSRP for
    > wholesale.

    That's what it looks like to me. This sort of thing can get uncomfortable,
    because there are many different business models and it's not my place to
    suggest that what another shop is doing is wrong (we have many other people
    here who feel that's *their* job, and I don't want to lessen their sense of
    worth!). But it really looks like someone is simply making a mistake about
    what the machine costs them.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
    >>> would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
    >>> built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's
    >>> not "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

    >> I finally got around to looking this one up; I don't think your dealer is
    >> looking up the correct bike. There is no way a dealer would sell one for
    >> $1600, not even a dealer trying to take advantage of someone. It's a
    >> slightly-sub-$1000 machine. *Maybe* somebody could try and get $1100 for
    >> one, but I doubt it. It's not a model we normally sell, but it appears
    >> that it would run about $940 if we did (part of the price is shipping,
    >> which gets pretty hefty on a bike ordered from QBP; with regular bike
    >> companies, if we order enough at one time, typically 15+, freight if
    >> often completely subsidized).
    >>

    > I've been thinking that maybe the shop owner was mistaking MSRP for
    > wholesale.

  16. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
    > would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
    > built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
    > "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

    Yes, if no upgrades are offered that does make it clearer. In that
    case, I think you're probably correct when you say the LBS may simply
    be mistaking MSRP for their price.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt

  17. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    Cross-checks are getting almost snobbish in their appeal to hardcore
    cyclists. What town is this?

  18. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    > Cross-checks are getting almost snobbish in their appeal to hardcore
    > cyclists. What town is this?

    Inverness, Florida. It would likely be the only Cross-Check in the county.

  19. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:52:27 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> >Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

    >> Cross-checks are getting almost snobbish in their appeal to hardcore
    >> cyclists. What town is this?

    >Inverness, Florida. It would likely be the only Cross-Check in the county.

    If you get one, spring for the hip flask and cage. The coolest.

    Ron