$1600 for a Cross Check at my LBS?

Gooserider

Guest
Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've bought a
bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600. Hey,
I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure his
price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it together.
Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

Mike

first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
similar.

Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've bought a
> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600. Hey,
> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure his
> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it together.
> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.

Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
something similar, they're on crack.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates

"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've
>> bought a
>> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
>> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
>> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600.
>> Hey,
>> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure
>> his
>> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it
>> together.
>> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

> Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
> price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
> Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
>
> Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
> something similar, they're on crack.

Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson USA
or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
> Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
> just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
> similar.

Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the spec
should be the same.

In article <[email protected]>, Gooserider
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've
> >> bought a
> >> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
> >> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
> >> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600.
> >> Hey,
> >> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure
> >> his
> >> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it
> >> together.
> >> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

> > Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
> > price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
> > Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
> >
> > Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
> > something similar, they're on crack.

> Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson USA
> or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

Call 'em on it Goose; it'll be interesting to see what explanation they
forward. Could be educational for everyone - including us!

Luke

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:15:57 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Stopped by my LBS today. It's a good shop with nice staff, and I've
>>> bought a
>>> bike there before. I wanted to get a price on a pre-built Cross-Check. I
>>> know Harris shows them on their page for $930 or so, and I was willing to
>>> pay a bit more at my LBS. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $1600.
>>> Hey,
>>> I'm willing to pay a markup, but COME ON. Six hundred dollars? I'm sure
>>> his
>>> price wasn't including tax, so that's six hundred bucks to put it
>>> together.
>>> Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

>> Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
>> price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
>> Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
>>
>> Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
>> something similar, they're on crack.

>Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson USA
>or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

Follow on it a little, at least enough to know if they've upgraded some of the
componentry or added brifters or what not. If they haven't then it'll be fun, at
least for us in the peanut gallery. Otherwise it might be a respectable deal if
they've built up an Ultegra Check.

Ron

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 07:15:57 GMT, "Gooserider"
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Dane Buson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Wow, um yeah. I wish I had that sort of bald faced cheek. The list
>>> price at my bike shop (2 years or so ago) was ~ $975. I live in
>>> Seattle, so it's not as if I live somewhere inexpensive.
>>>
>>> Unless they've replaced the bar-ends with Ultegra brifters or done
>>> something similar, they're on crack.

>>Wow. That sucks. Well, I can always order it from Excel Sports or Jenson
>>USA
>>or somebody. I think my LBS has lost a sale.

> Follow on it a little, at least enough to know if they've upgraded some of
> the
> componentry or added brifters or what not. If they haven't then it'll be
> fun, at
> least for us in the peanut gallery. Otherwise it might be a respectable
> deal if
> they've built up an Ultegra Check.
>
> Ron

The thing that gets me, Ron, is that the shop owner pulled out his QBP
catalog and told me his price was $1000 or so. I don't understand the hyooge
markup. Maybe he's confused(he is an older gentleman, and they were busy)
and he misread the MSRP as his price? I will check back with them, but even
if his price is a grand, a 600 dollar markup is a bit much.

Gooserider wrote:
> Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check ....

My friend and I were wondering about where Surly frames were made.
They are a bit different (dimension wise) than the typical road frame.
Are they also made overseas?

Tom

Gooserider wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
> > Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
> > just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
> > similar.

> Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the spec
> should be the same.

People often say things "should be" this or that but what "should be"
often isn't. Instead of just assuming both rides are spec'ed the same,
why not ask your LBS for a list of the specs on their bike and compare
those specs to others?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
>> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > first query is what's the spec? Same as Harris? Then print out the
>> > Harris page and shame them. Harris is by no means super-discounting,
>> > just charging a fair price, so you have a good argument if the spec is
>> > similar.

>> Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the
>> spec
>> should be the same.

> People often say things "should be" this or that but what "should be"
> often isn't. Instead of just assuming both rides are spec'ed the same,
> why not ask your LBS for a list of the specs on their bike and compare
> those specs to others?
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
"their bike". It's QBP's bike.

See "http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/BK0558" $929.95.

> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
> would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
> built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
> "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

I finally got around to looking this one up; I don't think your dealer is
looking up the correct bike. There is no way a dealer would sell one for
$1600, not even a dealer trying to take advantage of someone. It's a
slightly-sub-$1000 machine. *Maybe* somebody could try and get $1100 for
one, but I doubt it. It's not a model we normally sell, but it appears that
it would run about $940 if we did (part of the price is shipping, which gets
pretty hefty on a bike ordered from QBP; with regular bike companies, if we
order enough at one time, typically 15+, freight if often completely
subsidized).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gooserider wrote:
>>> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Surly offers a built in Taiwan complete Cross Check through QBP, so the
>>> spec
>>> should be the same.

>> People often say things "should be" this or that but what "should be"
>> often isn't. Instead of just assuming both rides are spec'ed the same,
>> why not ask your LBS for a list of the specs on their bike and compare
>> those specs to others?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bob Hunt

> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
> would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
> built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
> "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

>> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
>> would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
>> built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
>> "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

> I finally got around to looking this one up; I don't think your dealer is
> looking up the correct bike. There is no way a dealer would sell one for
> $1600, not even a dealer trying to take advantage of someone. It's a
> slightly-sub-$1000 machine. *Maybe* somebody could try and get $1100 for
> one, but I doubt it. It's not a model we normally sell, but it appears
> that it would run about $940 if we did (part of the price is shipping,
> which gets pretty hefty on a bike ordered from QBP; with regular bike
> companies, if we order enough at one time, typically 15+, freight if often
> completely subsidized).

I've been thinking that maybe the shop owner was mistaking MSRP for
wholesale.

> I've been thinking that maybe the shop owner was mistaking MSRP for
> wholesale.

That's what it looks like to me. This sort of thing can get uncomfortable,
because there are many different business models and it's not my place to
suggest that what another shop is doing is wrong (we have many other people
here who feel that's *their* job, and I don't want to lessen their sense of
worth!). But it really looks like someone is simply making a mistake about
what the machine costs them.

Gooserider wrote:
> Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The Cross Check is NOT IN STOCK. It
> would have to be ordered as is from QBP. Every pre-built Cross-Check is
> built to the same spec per Surly. Therefore, it's the same bike. It's not
> "their bike". It's QBP's bike.

Yes, if no upgrades are offered that does make it clearer. In that
case, I think you're probably correct when you say the LBS may simply
be mistaking MSRP for their price.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

>Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

Cross-checks are getting almost snobbish in their appeal to hardcore
cyclists. What town is this?

"bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

> Cross-checks are getting almost snobbish in their appeal to hardcore
> cyclists. What town is this?

Inverness, Florida. It would likely be the only Cross-Check in the county.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:52:27 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"bryanska" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> >Am I being cheap, or is his price way, way off?

>> Cross-checks are getting almost snobbish in their appeal to hardcore
>> cyclists. What town is this?

>Inverness, Florida. It would likely be the only Cross-Check in the county.

If you get one, spring for the hip flask and cage. The coolest.

Ron