17 degree carbon stem?

curby

May 9, 2006
can anyone direct me to a manufacturer for this? seems 6 degrees is the norm, I would prefer not to use an adjustable shim system but...

(some ppl call this a 0 degree rise because when paired with a 73/74 degree head angle the stem looks parallel to the ground)

tnx

curby said:
can anyone direct me to a manufacturer for this? seems 6 degrees is the norm, I would prefer not to use an adjustable shim system but...

(some ppl call this a 0 degree rise because when paired with a 73/74 degree head angle the stem looks parallel to the ground)
By my recollection, 0º rise stems dropped out of fashion (as far as manufacturers were concerned) about 8+ years ago ... undoubtedly, due to a lack of consumer demand because they required a higher spacer stack for a given handlebar placement relative to the the rest of the bike.

So, you're probably SOL if you want a CF stem with 0º rise.

curby said:

tnx

73 degree stems from Ritchey are common.

Ritchey Logic - Road - Stems - WCS 4-Axis

Not carbon tho. Lots of $ for no real advantage, IMO.

Peter@vecchios said:
73 degree stems from Ritchey are common.

Ritchey Logic - Road - Stems - WCS 4-Axis

Not carbon tho. Lots of $ for no real advantage, IMO.

Yup. What he said.

Also, a 0° stem is also called a 90° stem. It is NOT, however, parallel to the ground. A 17° or 73° stem can be made parallel to the ground. There seems to be two ways that are used to measure rise/drop of stems: the first is measured from a line perpendicular to the steering axis, and the second is measured from the steering axis clockwise toward the line perpendicular to the steering axis.

thanky thanky for all replys~!

Do ya'll know if that Ritchey WCS 4-axis uses shims to acheive my desired 17 degree configuration?

wasnt this all easier before there were threadless systems, a 73 degree road stem was easily identified through direct measurement or 'by eye' track stems of 65, 63 or 58 were a little tougher to differentiate but a protractor could always do the job... ;-)

curby said:
thanky thanky for all replys~!

Do ya'll know if that Ritchey WCS 4-axis uses shims to acheive my desired 17 degree configuration?

wasnt this all easier before there were threadless systems, a 73 degree road stem was easily identified through direct measurement or 'by eye' track stems of 65, 63 or 58 were a little tougher to differentiate but a protractor could always do the job... ;-)

No, it doesn't require shims. As it happens, they are quite good stems.