175mm Cranks on Track?

Originally posted by Zac
To quote the great Mr. King "can't we all just (puase) get along?

Wouldn't be much of a forum if we all shared the same view points!! I highly doubt anyone is loosing too much sleep over a few uncouth comments thrown around.

"Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."
-- Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by rickt
Merely an AIS "satellite" (yes maybe spaced out like a satellite) coach at the time (too much politics at that level for me to stay at it). I would dearly love to have been an elite athlete myself but unfortunately my biomechanics are actually more suited to weight lifting.

Premier Bracks notified Coburg CC that we have won an environmental award for our tracks ability to retain water on its banks. Am thinking of growing rice on the banks now as we have the lights to use now that no one wants to race at Coburg.

regards neo1

:D

PS would be no fun coming to work if we all got along on the forums.

I have a very sarcastic sense of humor some times and I was joking.

Shabby,
As you posted somewhere else in the forum, Brad McGee is now using 175mm cranks for track.
A few other famous cyclists used 175's on the track to attempt or take the world hour record; Roger Riviere, Eddy Merckx and Graham Obree. It has been reported than Miguel Indurian used 190mm cranks on his second hour record ride!
So long as the bike is properly constructed with a high BB, it's not a problem of clearence.

Originally posted by smurfbike
Shabby,
As you posted somewhere else in the forum, Brad McGee is now using 175mm cranks for track.
A few other famous cyclists used 175's on the track to attempt or take the world hour record; Roger Riviere, Eddy Merckx and Graham Obree. It has been reported than Miguel Indurian used 190mm cranks on his second hour record ride!
So long as the bike is properly constructed with a high BB, it's not a problem of clearence.

I used 170mm on track and 175mm on road. I changed to 175mm on track when I realised 170mm were offering me no advantage (my perception was a disadvantage) over 175mm. Obviously my biomechanical/neurological adaption had been made to 175mm over a long period of time with road use and that had become my most efficient length.

It appears that the most efficient crank length for riders is the one that the body has become accustomed. Change the length and you slightly alter joint angles and have to retrain muscles.

My track bike was designed with 175mm crank length in mind and I used them in all track events on steep banking in Sydney without any dramas. Tempe (concrete), Dunc Gray (boards) and the now outlawed Camperdown (concrete)

For the record, I used the 175's at Vodafone on Saturday night (Melbourne Cup On Wheels). No issues at all. (I know someone who uses 180's and has no issues either).

If I were upright on the steep part of the banks it would have been an issue, but when you actually look at the angles people ride on, you're never upright on the banks anyway, even in the warmup.

For year, I used 175 crank on the road and 170 on the track. The track was the Montreal Velodrome. In those day, I was and still is a spinner. My main gear on the track was 48 X 16 which seem to be small by today standard I believe. On the road I used 52X42 - 14-23 and won many races at the sprint with only 52X 15. Today and still do 40 km in 1 hr 10 min and never push more than 52 X 17. Course when you get to be 69 years old you do not have the strenght to push big gear.