177.5mm and 180mm cranks problem too close too the chainstays?

mrowkoob

Dec 23, 2003
So I sit here with a 177.5 mm crankset in my hands and a 108mm bb. The frame is a few weeks away from delivery (Scott CR1).

Now I´ve just been told by another friendly cyclist with long legs like myslef that it could be a problem with such long cranks. The arm will simply come too close to the chainstay causing it to hit the chainstay when the bb flexes or even your shoe might hit the chainstay. Now as I understand it this may only happen to tall riders riders with big feet. I just wondered of any others out there have experienced problems of this sort? Or have had no such problems with long crankarms. Any particular good solutions?
The obvious solution is a wider bb 113mm but that changes the q-factor which I would like to avoid. And ah yes suggesting a shorter crank is not an option for me.

I was searching for testimonials on crank length, and I just noticed this old thread.

You said on a more recent thread that you now have 177.5s; did you ditch the idea of the 180s?

I guess you've since found out about your heels hitting the stays, but I was just gunna tell ya that I have 180s with a size 44 shoe and a "toes out" (therefore heels in), and I can only hit the stays if I really try, by dropping my heels right down at the back of the stroke.

there ya go :D

531Aussie said:
I was searching for testimonials on crank length, and I just noticed this old thread.

You said on a more recent thread that you now have 177.5s; did you ditch the idea of the 180s?

I guess you've since found out about your heels hitting the stays, but I was just gunna tell ya that I have 180s with a size 44 shoe and a "toes out" (therefore heels in), and I can only hit the stays if I really try, by dropping my heels right down at the back of the stroke.

there ya go :D

Nice job finding a such an old thread :) It worked without any problems. No problems with heels hitting the stays. Might be if one uses 102 mm campagnolo BB´s though.