18650 batteries .....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by GadgetJim, Jul 8, 2016.

1. GadgetJim

GadgetJim New Member

I just purchcased the Magnum Innovation 860 Lumens USB Bike Light. Should arrive within a few days .....

Question: Which 18650 batteries would you recommend ? I will be cycling many hours at night, so I need extra batteries fully charged for every ride.

So far, I have these two on my Amazon Wish List:
    1) Orbtronic 3400mAh Protected
    2) Panasonic NCR 18650B 3400mAh.

What does the "B" stand for ?

I also purchased the Opus BT-C3400 to charge the 18650 batteries.

2. Weatherby

Weatherby Well-Known Member

B = not protected

I use the Panasonic 18650B batteries exclusively in my bike lights.

3. GadgetJim

GadgetJim New Member

Thanks for your reply. I was reading the reviews on Amazon for the Panasonic 18650 batteries. Some people have complained that they received fakes. Can you recommend a reliable source to buy the Panasonic 18650 batteries ?

4. Weatherby

GMT CO from Amazon were fine.

I'M a EE, I know the expected capacity and load of my device. Fast delivery and the batteries were fine.

5. GadgetJim

GadgetJim New Member

What is GMT Co ? I plugged that in Amazon, but did not get the 18650 batteries.

6. lairdkelly

lairdkelly New Member

Two things to watch for on Amazon: Chonese sellers (if it comes direct from China it is likely fake, and now if it comes from a US drop-shipper at direct-from-China prices...), Fullfilled By Amazon - this means all similar items from sellers using FBA are in a common bin and if even one is selling direct-from-China fakes...) Just for giggles, search on "blue strawberry" or "blue watermelon" (neither one exists outside of Photoshop...) and look at all the Chinese LIARS using identical Photoshop-fake images...

7. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

I suggest rechargeable Lithium batteries, a great option for today’s high end bike lights as these cells typically have higher capacities than their alkaline counterparts. Although rechargeable batteries tend to cost a little more than the standard alkaline batteries up front, over the long haul, these costs are more affordable because you won’t need to replace rechargeable batteries nearly as much as alkaline cells. Of course these upfront costs are lower when you purchase your rechargeable batteries at Battery Junction.18650-sized rechargeable batteries from the Ultrafire, Titanium Innovations, TerraLUX and Tenergy brands are typically priced well below retail and in many cases, you can buy these batteries in bulk which lowers the prices further

GadgetJim likes this.
  8. Weatherby