Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

1887 Cycling book online

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 292 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 November 2007
Last activity
4 November 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
292
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Google books has the 500+ page 1887 "Cycling" by Hillier:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=Kl8MAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=cycling+hillier&ei=gVAtR5XwEJy-swPTxcimCQ

    Construction of bicycles is covered on pages 340 to 400, meaning
    high-wheelers to page 378. Don't expect too much, but the section on
    wheels does seem to say (in a convoluted fashion) that the "spokes
    below the axle" might go slack under the rider's weight (page 373).

    The plodding style is suggested by the existence of a 57-page
    "Introductory" section, but there are some interesting details
    elsewhere about such things as the overhand versus underhand grip on
    the handlebar, with the "grasshopper" style mentioned (elbows sticking
    back like a grasshopper's legs while the rider leans forward).

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  2. Quoted message said:

    Google books has the 500+ page 1887 "Cycling" by Hillier:

    http://books.google.com/books?id=Kl8MAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=...

    I liked the cautions about the 'safety bicycles' and how difficult it
    is to learn to ride them.

    I suppose if I were to attempt to learn to ride for the very first
    time on an Ordinary, then I'd make up my mind very fast - say, in
    about one third of a second - if I was going to stick this out or not.
    Otherwise, I'd be on my face on the ground next to my wheel.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.