1897 mountain biking....

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S., May 9, 2003.

  1. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > Check this out, found it while doing some vacation planning....
    >
    > http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa97aug/Montana/montana.htm

    Great website. Thanks, Penny.

    Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't have clipless, Lycra, Coolmax or
    GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed internal hubs. No disc brakes, no full suspension, no GEARS!

    You aren't really tough until you ride through Montana offroad on a 70lb singlespeeder - with only a
    *coaster brake*! No wonder the bikes got away from them. Those hub brakes probably got red hot. Bet
    they had to repack the rear hubs daily.

    -Barry

  3. On Sat, 10 May 2003 06:02:56 +0000, B. Sanders did issue forth:

    > Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't have clipless, Lycra,
    > Coolmax or GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed internal hubs. No disc brakes, no full
    > suspension, no GEARS!

    You might not have any of that, but if you look at one of the riders near the back... it's
    Gary Fisher!

    --
    Huw Pritchard

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sat, 10 May 2003 06:02:56 +0000, B. Sanders did issue forth:
    >
    > > Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't have clipless, Lycra, Coolmax
    > > or GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed internal hubs. No disc brakes, no full suspension, no
    > > GEARS!
    >
    > You might not have any of that, but if you look at one of the riders near the back... it's
    > Gary Fisher!

    I think I saw Ned in there as well.

    JD

  5. And no doubt a letter to the San Fransico Times about the destructive nature of this mode of
    transport from a ancestor of you know who...

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 10 May 2003 06:02:56 +0000, B. Sanders did issue forth:
    >
    > > Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't
    have
    > > clipless, Lycra, Coolmax or GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed
    internal
    > > hubs. No disc brakes, no full suspension, no GEARS!
    >
    > You might not have any of that, but if you look at one of the riders near the back... it's
    > Gary Fisher!
    >
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard

  6. Ohioburg

    Ohioburg Guest

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > On Sat, 10 May 2003 06:02:56 +0000, B. Sanders did issue forth:
    | >
    | > > Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't
    have
    | > > clipless, Lycra, Coolmax or GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed
    internal
    | > > hubs. No disc brakes, no full suspension, no GEARS!
    | >
    | > You might not have any of that, but if you look at one of the riders
    near
    | > the back... it's Gary Fisher!
    |
    | I think I saw Ned in there as well.

    and they're all riding Breezers

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 5/6/2003

  8. Chris Breen

    Chris Breen Guest

  9. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Check this out, found it while doing some vacation planning....
    > >
    > > http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa97aug/Montana/montana.htm
    > >
    > Great website. Thanks, Penny.
    >
    > Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't have clipless, Lycra,
    > Coolmax or GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed internal hubs. No disc brakes, no full
    > suspension, no GEARS!

    Still they appear to have had the best of what was available at the time. Metal clad rims, enclosed
    drivetrain, 30-40 Krag Carbines (or so it appears). The krags (and ammo) would have cut a couple of
    pounds off of the Trapdoor black powder set up that would have been more common at the time.

    > You aren't really tough until you ride through Montana offroad on a 70lb singlespeeder - with only
    > a *coaster brake*! No wonder the bikes got away from them. Those hub brakes probably got red hot.
    > Bet they had to repack the rear hubs daily.

    You think they had coaster brakes?

    BTW did you notice the second picture ... Left hand drive ... how unusual (wonder if they found that
    to be a possitive or a negative).

  10. Todd B

    Todd B Guest

    "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Check this out, found it while doing some vacation planning....
    > > >
    > > > http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa97aug/Montana/montana.htm
    > > >
    > > Great website. Thanks, Penny.
    > >
    > > Talk about "rough riding." Those were some tough guys. They didn't
    have
    > > clipless, Lycra, Coolmax or GoreTex. No XTR, no Rohloff 14-speed
    internal
    > > hubs. No disc brakes, no full suspension, no GEARS!
    >
    > Still they appear to have had the best of what was available at the time. Metal clad rims,
    > enclosed drivetrain, 30-40 Krag Carbines (or so it appears). The krags (and ammo) would have cut
    > a couple of pounds off of the Trapdoor black powder set up that would have been more common at
    > the time.
    >

    > > You aren't really tough until you ride through Montana offroad on a 70lb singlespeeder - with
    > > only a *coaster brake*! No wonder the bikes got
    away
    > > from them. Those hub brakes probably got red hot. Bet they had to
    repack
    > > the rear hubs daily.
    >
    > You think they had coaster brakes?
    >
    > BTW did you notice the second picture ... Left hand drive ... how unusual (wonder if they found
    > that to be a possitive or a negative).

    Ill bet its just the negative printed backwards.

  11. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "Todd B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > > BTW did you notice the second picture ... Left hand drive ... how unusual (wonder if they found
    > > that to be a possitive or a negative).
    > >
    > Ill bet its just the negative printed backwards.

    Well golly gee whiz ... you think. It is also just a cropped section of the larger first picture,
    but at some point the negative was flipped. Too bad that it isn't a left side picture, as a left
    side shot might give a clue as to what hub is on the bike. I have several 1890's hubs around, none
    of which seem robust enough to be used in that application.