19" tyres

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by max_pfeifer, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    I was just wondering what people thought of the monty and try-all tyres?
    i have never really tried either and was wondering what they were like
    for both street and trials. I have ridden creepy-crawlers and dont
    really like them, and am currently riding a luna (i am also in the
    process of cutting the nobbies of an old luna to make a slick tyre, but
    its gonna take aaaages!)

    Thanks for your help,

    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    NO I WILL NOT DO A [email protected]#!ING BACKFLIP
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

  2. edsbelly

    edsbelly Guest

  3. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    when i first saw what time it was when this thread was posted i was like
    :eek:...whos up at 3:30AM asking about tires??? then i remembered that
    you guys are in Austrailia:p

    anyways in answering your question the monty sucks and ive heard that
    the try-all is very grippy

    --
    trials_uni

    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/fculm)

    koebwil wrote:
    > I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
    > letters I don't want

    *JONNY IS MY HERO!*

  4. Sponge

    Sponge Guest

    Riding both uni and biketrials... I can say that the Monty tyre (depends
    which model!) is good, well in detail:

    The older white-walled Montys are great with awesome bounce and
    unparalleled puncture-resistance, the yellow walls are similar just
    with a softer compound I think.

    The new 2.7 wide Monty is very grippy with side treads to help
    sideways-climbing and grip, its got great puncture resistance as all
    Montys do. The only problem I saw with this tyre is that if you're not
    a big bloke, then it's not too great for pre-hopping for sidehops and
    gaps as it sucks quite a bit of your effort in. Apart from that, I
    expect its the best tyre for doing dropping stuff on.

    Onto the Try-All tyre which I use: Very very grippy, good puncture
    resistance. Depending on who you are, you might like the bounce it
    gives, you might not. It's a good tyre, but a bit pricey. Another bonus
    is, if you like off-road like trials in the woods, it's great because
    the mud doesnt get clogged like crazy like Creepy Crawlers and other
    tyres do!

    It's a hard choice, but Creepy Crawler is pretty poo tbh, even in the
    biketrials world, it's not that great, it punctures EASIEST, but it
    does have the best grip of all (yes, even grippier than Try-all).

    Depending on what you do:

    get the Monty white/yellow wall tyre: For street/urban trials.

    get the Monty 2.7 tyre: If you're big/heavy

    get the Try-All tyre: If you like woodland riding, riding rocks, a bit
    of urban.

    Hope this helped...

    --
    Sponge

    Zoo! Python 2005 Yao Zhi model

    Koxx Devil

    MSN: [email protected] feel free to add, I'm always up for a
    good chat and get to know other uni riders :)
    Sponge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11883

  5. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    Sponge wrote:
    > It's a hard choice, but Creepy Crawler is pretty poo tbh, even in the
    > biketrials world, it's not that great, it punctures EASIEST, but it
    > does have the best grip of all (yes, even grippier than Try-all).

    I've never punctured a tube with the creepy crawler. There have been
    many situations, especially when it is cold, that I thought that I
    would have a pinch flat from bottoming out, but I didn't.

    I wish I had a good video to demonstrate how aggressively (but with
    good technique, mind you) that I ride trials with a creepy crawler.

    The tire is light, springy and grippy when you find the right pressure
    that works for you. I'm 140lbs, and I ride it at about 33psi as of
    right now (which it's been in the 50s degrees F lately).

    All I know is that the creepy crawler rocks for trials of any nature.
    But, I wouldn't know about street, being that I don't ride more than
    trials with a pseudo-street flair to it.

    later,
    Evan

    --
    TrialsUni
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

  6. apadoxhr

    apadoxhr Guest

    i drive eveerything with creepy c

    it is quite good except it get's worn off fast but to slow it down just
    rotate your tire for 45 ° every 3 or 4 weeks

    it has grat spring and the best for long last rim :)

    --
    apadoxhr

    10: apadox is legend;
    20: GOTO10;
    apadoxhr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11084

  7. primus

    primus Guest

  8. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    thanks for your help guys,

    does anyone know about the sidewall strength of the try-all and the
    monty? i know the creepy c has rather weak sidewalls and is prone to
    folding.

    how would you rate either of these tyres to the luna for street and a
    bit of trials?

    Cheers,

    Max

    --
    max_pfeifer

    NO I WILL NOT DO A [email protected]#!ING BACKFLIP
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

  9. dan de man

    dan de man Guest

    i ride 23-26psi and im 45 kg(about 90-100 pounds)

    --
    dan de man

    the second maori unicyclist on this forum (the first being
    unicyclistjoe)hehehe i can imagine myself doing a unihaka before a
    unihokey game
    dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403