1920: The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is formed.

davidmc

Jun 23, 2004
Today is the anniversary. Let us all rejoice that we have an association dedicated to the principles of protecting individual liberty from government intrusion. One would'nt know that now, what w/ the American President, on his Vice Presidents orders, has begun spying on his own citizenry. We can trust that The ACLU, w/ cases pending, will prevail & the citizenry will be protected.

moreso today than ever, this organization has our back when it comes to matters such as the bush adminisration turning away from the concept of separation of church and state, ideals of the bill of rights, the first, fourth, fifth and sixth amendments, and the regard for democratic society.

believe it, read up or be docile lemmings so your grand kids can some day ask, "gramps, what was the bill of rights?"

www.derechos.org/nizkor/excep/ccr.html

davidmc said:
Today is the anniversary. Let us all rejoice that we have an association dedicated to the principles of protecting individual liberty from government intrusion. One would'nt know that now, what w/ the American President, on his Vice Presidents orders, has begun spying on his own citizenry. We can trust that The ACLU, w/ cases pending, will prevail & the citizenry will be protected.

Hypnospin said:
moreso today than ever, this organization has our back when it comes to matters such as the bush adninisration turning away from the concept of seperation of church and state, ideals of the bill of rights, the first, fourth, fifth and sixth amendments, and the regard for democratic society.

believe it, read up or be docile lemmings so your grand kids can some day ask, "gramps, what was the bill of rights?"

Thanks Hypnospin. You're studied comments are always welcome, that is-unless I happen to disagree w/ you, which is seldom; it would seem.

Hypnospin said:
moreso today than ever, this organization has our back when it comes to matters such as the bush adninisration turning away from the concept of separation of church and state, ideals of the bill of rights, the first, fourth, fifth and sixth amendments, and the regard for democratic society.

"It was just another piece of paper."
:rolleyes:

davidmc said:
Now what was his name? Hoover the wiretapper? Forgot now. Apologies.

FredC said:
Now what was his name? Hoover the wiretapper? Forgot now. Apologies.
AAAAAh Yes...A long tradition of trying to turn the us constitution (a fine document,much favoured by Ho Chi Minh,as was the soviet constitution) into four inch squares,potus,for the use of.
A curious footnote,Fred,one of my distant cousins was hoover's secretary.(We mention this in hushed tones,if at all).
Do you know the town of Kendal at all?
What a hideous sham american "democracy" has proven to be,from such noble ideals.

Oh, you mean good ol' J. Edgar, that "law-abiding" G-Man who dressed in drag in his off hours? :rolleyes:

I've heard recently that they're talking about changing the name of the FBI HQ to something other than the "J.Edgar Hoover Bldg."

davidmc said:

A very worthy organisation and if I may say so a bulwark against certain administrations who are intent on re-writing your country's Bill of Rights.

Hopefully, the Writ of Habeus Corpus will be allowed back in to American civil life
following it's unlawful syspension since 2000 (ie Bushy's election).

stevebaby said:
AAAAAh Yes...A long tradition of trying to turn the us constitution (a fine document,much favoured by Ho Chi Minh,as was the soviet constitution) into four inch squares,potus,for the use of.
A curious footnote,Fred,one of my distant cousins was hoover's secretary.(We mention this in hushed tones,if at all).
Do you know the town of Kendal at all?
What a hideous sham american "democracy" has proven to be,from such noble ideals.
If you mean Kendal, the Lake District then I know it well enough.
I'm sure DB is familiar with the town as well.

limerickman said:
A very worthy organisation and if I may say so a bulwark against certain administrations who are intent on re-writing your country's Bill of Rights.

Hopefully, the Writ of Habeus Corpus will be allowed back in to American civil life
following it's unlawful syspension since 2000 (ie Bushy's election).
Thank you for indulging me. Many of the threads started here tend to be Americacentric so I applaud all peoples from outside our, it would seem, right wing, authoritarian, republic who post. The ACLU is reviled by the far right in this country so I am naturally a rabid supporter of thier aims ;) I am also a dues paying member of Americans United headed by the venerable Reverend Barry Lynn. See:

http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=aboutau

i note this organization you link to here, Americans United, filing action regarding the bush penchant for "faith-based initiatives", a cursory search of site from the link you provide here is quite informative, just type "tax money" in the search box and you can see what i mean, taxpayer's monies going to these expenditures to the tune of tens of millions.

lessee, whadda we got here, big government beauracracy in action with rampant spending for those who seem to not be able to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, who must feel they deserve a handout, if not a living? and to think this used to be among the fave knocks against the democrats by those who voted for bush....any y'all feelin' a might be-trayed, pardners?

is that whooshing sound i hear the flushing of taxes down a toilet?

davidmc said:
;) I am also a dues paying member of Americans United headed by the venerable Reverend Barry Lynn. See:

http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=aboutau