1935 recumbent photo

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    fellow bentheads here is one that I have not seen.The 1935 Moller Autocycle has automobile type
    steering wheel and leading link front suspension. way cool!!!!!! check it out at---
    http://www.recumbent.bikeriders.com/gallery.html anybody know the history of this bike.Where made?
    How long was it in production? etc etc

    Tags:

  2. "Bill B" skrev...
    > fellow bentheads here is one that I have not seen.The 1935 Moller Autocycle has automobile type
    > steering wheel and leading link front suspension. way cool!!!!!! check it out at---
    > http://www.recumbent.bikeriders.com/gallery.html anybody know the history of this bike.Where made?
    > How long was it in production? etc etc

    Danish. The Recumbent Bicycle claims only 6 were made. I tried one at the bicycle museum in Glumsø
    here in Denmark. http://www.sundby-cykler.dk/cykelmuseum/ (No email alas. They had more info on it.)
    Not very comfortable and the steering takes some getting used to. There was a lot of play in the
    u-joint. Tricky balance too. I much preferred the contemporary "Sofacykel" although it was more or
    less a "stretched" traditional DF.

    Mikael

  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Bill B scribed with passion and wit:

    > fellow bentheads here is one that I have not seen.The 1935 Moller Autocycle has automobile type
    > steering wheel and leading link front suspension. way cool!!!!!! check it out at---
    > http://www.recumbent.bikeriders.com/gallery.html anybody know the history of this bike.Where made?
    > How long was it in production? etc etc

    It is an early Giant Revive!

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  4. Dean Arthur

    Dean Arthur Guest

    Ian wrote:

    > Bill B scribed with passion and wit:
    >
    > > fellow bentheads
    > Ian

    I've been in western Wyoming since 1993. Good winters we have snow above the barbed wire fences
    but highways are cleaned down to asphalt and sanded if hard packed snow won't clear off. Salt
    is verboten!

    I've pedaled my ASSets off so long as highway is clear and puddles avoidable during spring thaw.

    Due to extreme muscle loss from ski bag impacts on legs at former airport job I converted to BikeE
    winter of 2002 with limited success. Some muscle is rebuilding with intake of Shaklee Instant
    Protein but balance still suffers.

    Mother's Trike looking more and more like way for me to go. Article came out in 1983 edition of
    magazine and claimed construction cost of 65$ [1983, mind you] using EMT [the tubing which carries
    house wiring in USA] but I'm choosing smallest diameter auto exhaust pipe to carry my 6'4", 230
    pound frame.

    Construction article on Mother Earth News 2F1R home-brew trike with specs, parts list and drawings
    is available online at the Mother Earth News web site.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=081/081-162-01&ID=2613&Num=4

  5. Hi, Bill, are you sure that isn't a fender mount that just 'looks' like leading link front
    suspension?

    --
    Lewis.

    *******************************

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > fellow bentheads here is one that I have not seen.The 1935 Moller Autocycle has automobile type
    > steering wheel and leading link front suspension. way cool!!!!!! check it out at---
    > http://www.recumbent.bikeriders.com/gallery.html anybody know the history of this bike.Where made?
    > How long was it in production? etc etc

  6. "Lewis Campbell" skrev...
    > Hi, Bill, are you sure that isn't a fender mount that just 'looks' like leading link front
    > suspension?

    Actually I think its springs that pulls the wheel back towards the centre position. Not sure the one
    I tried had them which might account for the instability. (If we are talking the horisontal ones at
    seatheight on steering assembly.) The bike was not suspended in any way.

    Mikael

  7. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    Hi Lewis. Could be just a look but to me it looks like the forks are just behind the front axel and
    the heavy black ?? leading linkage?? can be seen going back to the upper fork area [well below the
    fender]. Just looks kind of like leading link to me:). By the way I did a search on Moller and no
    bike was found but a very cool aero-car was.Two passengers .four ducted fans and a top speed of over
    350 at a altitude of 28,000ft

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, Bill, are you sure that isn't a fender mount that just 'looks' like leading link front
    > suspension?
    >
    > --
    > Lewis.

    > *******************************
    >
    > "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > fellow bentheads here is one that I have not seen.The 1935 Moller Autocycle has automobile type
    > > steering wheel and leading link front suspension. way cool!!!!!! check it out at---
    > > http://www.recumbent.bikeriders.com/gallery.html anybody know the history of this bike.Where
    > > made? How long was it in production? etc etc

  8. "Mikael Seierup" skrev...

    > "Lewis Campbell" skrev...
    > > Hi, Bill, are you sure that isn't a fender mount that just 'looks' like leading link front
    > > suspension?
    >
    > Actually I think its springs that pulls the wheel back towards the centre position. Not sure the
    > one I tried had them which might account for the instability. (If we are talking the horisontal
    > ones at seatheight on steering assembly.) The bike was not suspended in any way.

    And the wheels don't look original. They are too small. Chainguard also looks like a later addition
    if you compare with the picture on page 21 of The Recumbent Bicycle.

  9. Sometimes known as the Triumph-Moller, IIRC. Someone brought one to a BHPC race meeting a few years
    back; it may have crept out of the Mark Hall Museum in Harlow when their backs were turned...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Guess I'm talking to myself here. ;-) No, no... don't mind me guys. I just rode one of the bleeding
    things. ;o)

    (Oh well...back to making the rear wheel fit the VK2 with an S-Licks on. Latest cunning plan
    involves moving the brake a bit forward on the frame. Hopefully 4-5 mm will do the trick.)

    Mikael