1955 Ground Meat Meat Cookbook

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gregory Morrow, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Paging Jimmy Tango!

    http://www.meatbook.com/

    Highlights: There's a pig cooking meat with some chickens. And some kind of
    piece-of-meat-man. And they're all in aprons:

    http://www.meatbook.com/0607.html

    Highlights: "Garnishes of ground meat, to please the palate and the eye, are
    the extra touch to make a banquet of your daily fare.":

    http://www.meatbook.com/1213.html

    Highlights: Meat-Stuffed Celery Sticks. That's right. Celery stuffed with
    "meat mixture.":

    http://www.meatbook.com/1415.html

    Highlights:
    A happy little lamb under the recipe for "Savory Lamb and Carrot Balls:

    http://www.meatbook.com/2223.html

    Highlights:
    Heart Patties with Gravy... HEART PATTIES WITH GRAVY!!!!!

    http://www.meatbook.com/2425.html

    Highlights:
    We have a winner! Loaves, Rings and Molds. There's a whole section for
    "Loaves, Rings and Molds" -- all food formats that don't exist any more.

    By the way, "Frosted Lamb Loaf." I don't know what's better - the name, the
    description ("Glamorous..."), the photo or the happy lambs (in underpants)
    dancing at the top of the page:

    http://www.meatbook.com/2627.html

    Highlights:
    I though Veal-Oyster Loaf was classic until I read the description for
    Jellied Veal Loaf: "A cooling, refreshing answer to the hot-weather meat
    course problem.":

    http://www.meatbook.com/3031.html

    Highlights:
    1. "Meat Muffins"
    2. Is that girl chatting on the phone while she enjoys a slab of "Layered
    Loaf"?:

    http://www.meatbook.com/3637.html

    Highlights:
    "Spaghetti, Italian Style."

    As opposed to...:

    http://www.meatbook.com/3839.html

    Highlights:
    The farm animals seem to be enjoying the aroma of COOKED MEMBERS OF THEIR
    IMMEDIATE FAMILY!!!!.

    And what's up with the horse? I haven't seen any horse recipes... yet...:

    http://www.meatbook.com/4445.html

    Highlights:
    I really wanted to try the Luncheon Meat Pinwheel Ring, but it's so hard
    finding quality "luncheon meat" in my neighborhood:

    http://www.meatbook.com/5657.html

    Highlights:
    Pork Brown Sauce on Sweet Potato Biscuits. No joke here. That sounds pretty
    freakin' awesome:

    http://www.meatbook.com/6061.html

    Highlights:
    Mincemeat Cupcakes. I just don't know:

    http://www.meatbook.com/6667.html

    </>

    Tags:

  2. Subject line should read:

    1955 Ground Meat Cookbook

    [I guess]

  3. On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:12:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
    Morrow?

    > Subject line should read:
    >
    > 1955 Ground Meat Cookbook
    >
    > [I guess]

    Sounds like you're really taken with this cookbook, Greg, affording you
    months of menus yet to come. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

  4. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:12:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
    > Morrow?
    >
    > > Subject line should read:
    > >
    > > 1955 Ground Meat Cookbook
    > >
    > > [I guess]

    > Sounds like you're really taken with this cookbook, Greg, affording you
    > months of menus yet to come. <g>

    Some of the recipes are as ghastly in their own way as those in WWII
    ration cookbooks...

    "Ritz and Liver Loaf", anyone?

    --
    Best
    Greg

  5. On Sun 15 Jan 2006 11:34:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
    Morrow?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Sun 15 Jan 2006 09:12:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
    >> Morrow?
    >>
    >> > Subject line should read:
    >> >
    >> > 1955 Ground Meat Cookbook
    >> >
    >> > [I guess]

    >> Sounds like you're really taken with this cookbook, Greg, affording you
    >> months of menus yet to come. <g>

    > Some of the recipes are as ghastly in their own way as those in WWII
    > ration cookbooks...
    >
    > "Ritz and Liver Loaf", anyone?

    Sounds offal to me. <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

    Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.

  6. In article <Xruyf.8650$%[email protected]>,
    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Highlights: Meat-Stuffed Celery Sticks. That's right. Celery stuffed with
    > "meat mixture.":
    >
    > http://www.meatbook.com/1415.html

    I'd like to have that ham stuffed eggs recipe. :)
    --
    Om.

  7. In article <Xruyf.8650$%[email protected]>,
    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snipped>

    I am SO going to have to look for and buy this cookbook! :)
    --
    Om.

  8. I don't normally go for "I would never eat that" humor, but this had me
    laughing out loud. I love it! There's something about the pictures and
    the way it takes itself so seriously. Thanks for posting it.

    --Lia

  9. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <Xruyf.8650$%[email protected]>,
    > "Gregory Morrow"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Highlights: Meat-Stuffed Celery Sticks. That's right. Celery stuffed with
    >>"meat mixture.":
    >>
    >>http://www.meatbook.com/1415.html

    > I'd like to have that ham stuffed eggs recipe. :)

    It is easy enough to read from the page on which it appears.
    If you cannot see it clearly enough, let me know and I will copy it
    for you. It is just another version of deviled eggs.

  10. Julia Altshuler wrote:

    > I don't normally go for "I would never eat that" humor, but this had me
    > laughing out loud. I love it! There's something about the pictures and
    > the way it takes itself so seriously. Thanks for posting it.

    Here's some more fun stuff you might enjoy from my fave website,
    www.ephemeranow.com :

    "Now! Barbecue! Roast! With Self-Basting Rotary Roaster | Admiral,
    1955":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av018.htm

    "Already, they're working on this | America's Independent Light and
    Power Companies, 1960":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av016.htm

    "Dry Ice rings the bell with Industry, too | Mathieson Chemical
    Corp., 1954":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av024.htm

    "Sizzling-good eating, outdoor style! | Wilson & Co., 1955":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av021.htm

    "FOOD-O-MAT 1959 | Acme Market, Nottingham Plaza, Syracuse, N.Y":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av005.htm

    "Millions and millions and millions love it . . . and you will, too!
    | General Foods, 1954":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av114.htm

    "Another of Petri Wine's eerie anthropomorphic rodents, also wearing
    boots [1948]":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av166.htm

    "Peas in Potato Boats | Birds Eye Frosted Foods, 1949":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av160.htm

    " . . and the living is easy-est with STAINLESS STEEL | Sharon
    Steel, 1960":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av149.htm

    "How lean is a slice of bacon? | Du Pont Cellophane, 1946":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av192.htm

    "Cleaner dishes . . . Ring-free pan . . . Tide cuts grease as no
    soap can! | 1951":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av201.htm

    "It's a picnic anywhere . . . with a new "Town and Country" portable
    | Motorola, 1952":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av214.htm

    "Superior Mustard, 1959":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av216.htm

    "Fresh thought for tonight | Green Giant Peas, 1948":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av237.htm

    "˜ Dinner Will Be Ready in Just a Minute

    "Pick your favorite foods! Then this imaginary SUPER CHEF assembles
    your choice from a vast freezer storage, cooks it to perfection by
    infra-red ray and serves it by conveyor in a matter of seconds! Set the
    table . . . then set the dial! Future meals could be as easy as that
    with this miracle meal-getter. And maybe tomorrow it will be a reality.
    You'll find New Departure ball bearings in almost every major
    appliance . . ."

    [From 1955, another of New Departure's futuristic fantasies
    speculating on the world of 1965, this one spotlighting the Super Chef
    Feast Freeze. How about a nice salisbury steak and green peas? What the
    heck, maybe some mashed potatoes too. No, wait. Carrots]

    " ' Super Chef - 1965?' New Departure Ball Bearings, 1955":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av314.htm

    "Van Camp's Pork and Beans, 1960":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av305.htm

    "More and more people are saying, "More V-8, please!" | 1955":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av101.htm

    "Broncos: Crispy, french-fried wieners | 1958 Barbecue Cookbook":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av122.htm

    " 'Deliciously Yours!' Hunt's Catsup | 1952":

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/av/av131.htm

    "Holiday Party, 1957

    [We were considering a caption-writing contest for this particular
    image, before our better judgment said nuh-uh. Illustration by the
    wonderful Haddon Sundblom.]

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/xmas/xmas045.htm

    "The Living Garage

    Make way for living. Roll your automobile out on the apron. And if
    you're lucky enough to own a 1958 Lincoln, be prepared for admiring
    neighbors. Here is one fine car that's not on view in everybody's
    driveway. Lithe and low and clean of line, this fashion leader is an
    eloquent symbol of your good taste. As your neighbors will discover if
    you invite them for a get-acquainted drive, Lincoln also stands out in
    ability. For here is an extra safe margin of power - a lively, limber
    driving demean that you'd never expect in a car so spacious. No other
    fine car naturally says so many good things about you. The New Lincoln
    .. . . the great new star among motorcars".

    [For people who wanted to fit a 1958 Lincoln into their lives but had
    trouble fitting one into their houses, Ford had a better idea: Buy our
    huge new car, and build an enormous new garage - a three-car
    "Living Garage" like the one belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Zeder
    of Greenwich, Conn. Think of it (or the car) as a living room with
    leather seats for six and a steering wheel under the window. Plus tile
    floors and a barbecue rotisserie (not to mention bar, soda fountain,
    play area and potting sink). Our favorite line in this advertorial
    collaboration of Ford, General Electric and the Tile Council: "The
    1958 Lincoln Premiere is one of the larger American models. Yet it
    takes up only a fraction of the garage space, leaving plenty of room
    for a buffet table."]:

    http://www.ephemeranow.com/cars/cars305.htm

    </>

  11. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <Xruyf.8650$%[email protected]>,
    > "Gregory Morrow"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > <snipped>
    >
    > I am SO going to have to look for and buy this cookbook! :)

    Several copies of the 1955 edition are available
    at prices between $3 and $10:

    http://www.addall.com

    Note that there were also editions in 1972 and 1982.
    And, several other cookbooks had the words
    "Ground Meat Cookbook" in the title.

  12. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Gregory Morrow wrote:

    > "Holiday Party, 1957
    >
    > [We were considering a caption-writing contest for this particular
    > image, before our better judgment said nuh-uh. Illustration by the
    > wonderful Haddon Sundblom.]
    >
    > http://www.ephemeranow.com/xmas/xmas045.htm

    These illustrations form their own genre:

    http://www.panexa.com/

  13. Mark Thorson wrote:

    > Gregory Morrow wrote:
    > >
    > > "Holiday Party, 1957
    > >
    > > [We were considering a caption-writing contest for this particular
    > > image, before our better judgment said nuh-uh. Illustration by the
    > > wonderful Haddon Sundblom.]
    > >
    > > http://www.ephemeranow.com/xmas/xmas045.htm

    > These illustrations form their own genre:
    >
    > http://www.panexa.com/

    Nothing much has changed with the passage of time :)

    [That image could be from a slightly updated Douglas Sirk film...]

    --
    Best
    Greg

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <Xruyf.8650$%[email protected]>,
    > > "Gregory Morrow"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Highlights: Meat-Stuffed Celery Sticks. That's right. Celery stuffed with
    > >>"meat mixture.":
    > >>
    > >>http://www.meatbook.com/1415.html

    > > I'd like to have that ham stuffed eggs recipe. :)

    > It is easy enough to read from the page on which it appears.
    > If you cannot see it clearly enough, let me know and I will copy it
    > for you. It is just another version of deviled eggs.

    Actually, I DL'd the scan and did a "zoom in".

    I was able to read it then, thanks! :)
    --
    Om.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > >
    > > In article <Xruyf.8650$%[email protected]>,
    > > "Gregory Morrow"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > <snipped>
    > >
    > > I am SO going to have to look for and buy this cookbook! :)

    > Several copies of the 1955 edition are available
    > at prices between $3 and $10:
    >
    > http://www.addall.com
    >
    > Note that there were also editions in 1972 and 1982.
    > And, several other cookbooks had the words
    > "Ground Meat Cookbook" in the title.

    Groovy, thanks!
    --
    Om.