1974 opaque blue Schwinn Varsity

Christopher22

Apr 8, 2014
I had a few questions. First off 8 years ago i picked up this Schwinn at a tag sale for 15$ there was a woman's version as well, but alas I left it alone. I found a former Schwinn dealer where I live sadly he had his Schwinn signage up from 1970s. side note made me sad he didn't fix or sell them anymore.

So, I showed him the bike he told me the colour was rare only used for a few months in '74 then by '75 it was never again used on the Varsity. It is to his knowledge as he told me fully loaded without the colour matched fenders, has the bottle cage, premium back wheel rack and from what he said special order which isn't in the catalog Union light front and back with motor.

my question is this: Is there any collector value? Not looking to sell it, but curious and as for the light he claimed it was worth as much as the bike. Again could that be true? Love the Varsity very solid and for me rides very well here in VT with the exception of steeper hills/mountains.

Originally Posted by Christopher22
my question is this: Is there any collector value? Not looking to sell it, but curious and as for the light he claimed it was worth as much as the bike. Again could that be true? Love the Varsity very solid and for me rides very well here in VT with the exception of steeper hills/mountains.
Probably not.

Are your in Rutland, by any chance?

In mint condition a 1974 Varsity is worth about $100. The color is worth extra money to only a very few Schwinn collectors looking to flush out a model/options. A 'good' condition Varsity of any vintage sells for about $25 in my area of the country.

A Union generator/light set might bring $10-$20 at a flea market. Since they were aftermarket items, restorers generally have limited interest in them. They're all over eBay and can even be found NOS at reasonable with a little searching.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Union-West-German-1970s-Halogen-Generator-Bike-Light-Set-w-Stem-Mount-bicycle-/291069598265?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

If it is marked "Schwinn Approved", you might have some luck selling it to a dedicated Schwinn collector.

Thank you. The way I was told from my then bike guy he made it out to be more than it was. Would never sell it anywho love that bike so much.

Originally Posted by Christopher22

I used to live in
udlow. Now back in nj for the time being.
You didn't buy that from the former Green Mountain Schwinn in Rutland, by any chance?