1974 Schwinn Town and Country trike complete front axle

Filmore

Dec 1, 2010
I am looking for a replacement front axle (complete) for my 1974 Scwhinn Town & Country Trike. The rim was made in Japan and has the name Chair on it. Thanks, Phil

Most bike shops can sell you a replacement axle & bearings ... but, axles are often as expensive as the least expensive hubs ...

You can cannibalize most new front hubs for the parts UNLESS the trike's front wheel has a steel front hub which has a visible seam ...

• if the hub is steel, then you should consider replacing it with almost any currently available, new ([COLOR= #808080]i.e, non-steel[/COLOR]) front hub ...
  • if the spokes are not rusted & the nipples are not seized, then YOU can relace the existing rim onto the new hub with the existing spokes & nipples.
  • you can probably buy a replacement wheel for less than it would cost to have the shop relace the wheel, BTW.

You will need CONE WRENCHES to service most hubs which have nutted axles & loose bearings, BTW.

So, what makes you think that the axle needs to be replaced?

• you may just need to repack the hub with fresh grease, BTW.
  • in lieu of actually servicing the hub, any weight of commonly available oil that is allowed to seep onto the bearings will probably go a long way toward getting a recalcitrant hub spinning ... at least, a little. --[COLOR= #ff0000] remove the wheel & lay it on some newspaper/whatever & put a few drops of oil on the axle where the axle enters the hub ... let it sit for a day ... turn it over & do the same to the other side ... repeat as necessary ... tool free, but excrutiatingly slow & probably very tedious.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the input. I did resolve my problem. The threads on one side were stripped on the bolt. I just switched it to the other side that does not have the odometer on it. Then I threaded it over to the one side a little more to get a bite at better threads. Tightened it up good again and problem is fixed. Also packed the bearings and it should be fine. Thanks again. Phil