1980 Modolo sidepull brake questions

Bob

Guest
I can across a set of modolo sidepulls, vintage guessed
at 1980+/- 3 years. The only model name on them is "equipe".

Questions:
1. They do appear well crafted and nicely finished... but will they
have any more stopping power or exhibit any ther features
(smoothness?) that a pair of Weinmann 605's won't have ?

2. The shoes are Modolo original and seem to be made from a very hard
material - are there special in some way or just very old and hard ?

3. The modolo levers appear to take a campy type hood. True? Any
pointers to Modole hoods or perhaps something generic to put on them ?

Thanks,

Bob wrote:
> I can across a set of modolo sidepulls, vintage guessed
> at 1980+/- 3 years. The only model name on them is "equipe".
>
> Questions:
> 1. They do appear well crafted and nicely finished... but will they
> have any more stopping power or exhibit any ther features
> (smoothness?) that a pair of Weinmann 605's won't have ?
>
> 2. The shoes are Modolo original and seem to be made from a very hard
> material - are there special in some way or just very old and hard ?

The original pads on some of the Modolo brakes were made of a "Sintered
metallic compound", IIRC. It was a very hard, supposedly very durable
material. I can't recall hearing anything about the braking power- but
they were comparitively rare brakes.

> 3. The modolo levers appear to take a campy type hood. True? Any
> pointers to Modole hoods or perhaps something generic to put on them ?
>
> Thanks,

I think Modolo had their own "anatomic" hoods- Campy might fit, but
they might not work properly. A'me made some aftermarket hoods (in five
colors!) for the Modolo levers that you might be able to find, but I'd
wonder about their condition- they'd be fifteen years old by now-
almost old enough to drive.

Jeff

On 2005-09-03, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can across a set of modolo sidepulls, vintage guessed
> at 1980+/- 3 years. The only model name on them is "equipe".
>
> Questions:
> 1. They do appear well crafted and nicely finished... but will they
> have any more stopping power or exhibit any ther features
> (smoothness?) that a pair of Weinmann 605's won't have ?

The "Equipe" model was about mid-range in Modolo's line-up. Although
they're not likely to perform noticably differently than the Weinmann,
they do have "mojo" factor that is worth considering.

> 2. The shoes are Modolo original and seem to be made from a very hard
> material - are there special in some way or just very old and hard ?

Modolo used a sinterized pad material that is supposed to work better on
wet rims than plain pads.

> 3. The modolo levers appear to take a campy type hood. True? Any
> pointers to Modole hoods or perhaps something generic to put on them ?

The levers will accept a Campy hood, and vice-versa. IMHO, the best hood
would be a Modolo model #919 "anatomic" hood. You can find them on eBay
pretty regularly. Expect to pay US$20-40/pair for them.

--

John ([email protected])

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:05:48 GMT, John Thompson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>they do have "mojo" factor that is worth considering.

Oh yeah... can't discount that :)

>Modolo used a sinterized pad material that is supposed to work better on
>wet rims than plain pads.

Kuel.

>The levers will accept a Campy hood, and vice-versa. IMHO, the best hood
>would be a Modolo model #919 "anatomic" hood. You can find them on eBay
>pretty regularly. Expect to pay US$20-40/pair for them.

Thanks to both of you guys for your answers. Much appreciated.

Bob

A'me hoods will fit either levers. Modolo use to sell their hoods and pad
for Campy brakes as well. I'm still riding my Sintered pads from 1981 with
Super Record brakes. Obviously, I no longer use them every day, as I ride
another bike, but still impressive that they've lasted 24 years without
rotting.

news:[email protected]...

Wannagofast wrote:
> I'm still riding my Sintered pads from 1981 with
> Super Record brakes. Obviously, I no longer use them every day, as I ride
> an other bike, but still impressive that they've lasted 24 years without
> rotting.

These pads were said to be very hard on rims. That makes sense, because
they were very hard. What was your experience? How many miles, how many
rims, in what conditions?

The term Modolo used was "Sinterized", not sintered. It's not clear
exactly how they were made, or with what.

Modolo, Campagnolo, Suntour Superbe, and some other hoods were all
interchangeable..

41 wrote:
> Wannagofast wrote:
> > I'm still riding my Sintered pads from 1981 with
> > Super Record brakes. Obviously, I no longer use them every day, as I ride
> > an other bike, but still impressive that they've lasted 24 years without
> > rotting.

> These pads were said to be very hard on rims. That makes sense, because
> they were very hard. What was your experience? How many miles, how many
> rims, in what conditions?
>

> The term Modolo used was "Sinterized", not sintered. It's not clear
> exactly how they were made, or with what.
>
> Modolo, Campagnolo, Suntour Superbe, and some other hoods were all
> interchangeable..

Additionally, Signor Modolo was supposedly the guy at Campagnolo who
designed the Campagnolo Record sidepull. Modolos were extremely popular
for a short period of time. They were also OEM for Mavic and perhaps
some other sidepulls.O

>From Classic Rendezvous:

"Adamo Modolo founded MODOLO in 1952. In the beginning they were just
component suppliers for touring and "every day" bikes. by 1975, Modolo
equipped 1 million bikes. They got into the racing business in 1976,
when son Domenico joined thecompany and designed the Professional
brake..."

The Record sidepull hit the market in '68, when Modolo was supposedly
running his own business. If this time line is right, then Modolo
probably had nothing to do with the Campy brake. Maybe Muzi knows for
sure. -- Jay Beattie.

JeffWills wrote:

> A'me made some aftermarket hoods (in five > colors!) for the Modolo
> levers that you might be able to find, but I'd wonder about their
> condition- they'd be fifteen years old by now-almost old enough to drive.

I'll bet the A'me hoods would be fine. In fact I'm riding a set that
is still soft. Whatever A'me made their hoods out of is suprisingly
durable.

Bruce

On 2005-09-06, Bruce Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:

>> A'me made some aftermarket hoods (in five > colors!) for the Modolo
>> levers that you might be able to find, but I'd wonder about their
>> condition- they'd be fifteen years old by now-almost old enough to drive.

> I'll bet the A'me hoods would be fine. In fact I'm riding a set that
> is still soft. Whatever A'me made their hoods out of is suprisingly
> durable.

I've have some Modolo-style A'me hoods on my commuter bike for over 20
years and they're still fine. I wish they were still available for my
other bikes with compatible levers.

--

John ([email protected])