1982 Specialized Stumpjumper

subdude

May 19, 2009
I want to sell my 1982 Specialized Stumpjumper and am curious what I should ask for it. The frame measures 19.5" c-c. It is in good original ridden condition and rides well. It hasn't been ridden in 15 years or so, but the paint is okay and there is no rust and the decals are just okay. It does not have the original saddle or rear derailleur and I think I changed out the seatpost at some point and the tires are not original but they are Specialized and in good shape. Everything else--the TA crankset, m/c brake levers, golfclub stem, bars, wheels, etc. are original. I would really like to just trade it for a Specialized Expedition touring or a Miyata 1000 in a 60 or 63cm, but that's a long shot. Thanks.

For a realistic sell price, do an advanced search on Ebay and be sure to check the "completed listings" box.

Scotty_Dog said:
For a realistic sell price, do an advanced search on Ebay and be sure to check the "completed listings" box.
That might be tough on this particular bike as it was the first year of production for the Stumpjumper and approximately 500 bikes were made that year so not too many on the used market these days. Realistically the value of this bike is entirely to the collector as the value of an '83 or '84 Stumpjumper is basically nil. It's gonna be tough figuring out who's interested in the bike for its history, especially with some non-original parts and what they'll be willing to pay for it.

Good luck,
-Dave

Thanks for your well-considered replies. I have a better idea now what my bike might be worth. A first-year first-run Stumpjumper sold on eBay this month for $750, but mine is a second-run and that probably matters somehow. And it is eBay. I might post it on there anyway to see what happens.