1984 Marin by Joe Murray parts

Jazu

Guest
Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

"jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Sorry. I was asking for frame and fork
>
> "jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

It is if it's rideable, it's worth riding.

Interesting side note about Joe Murray. The other half of the Toeclip Mafia used to ride with Joe in
CB on a regular basis and about 15 years ago he ended up buying a Ti race bike Joe had used for one
season. It had Ti parts all over it, including the seatpost. He was telling me the story of how he
had acquired this seatpost which was on his bike a couple of weeks ago on a ride we were doing. I
warned him that Ti can break and 15 years of service on that seatpost was pushing
it. Halfway through the ride, the seatpost broke right near the clamp.

JD

> > > Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks
>
> It is if it's rideable, it's worth riding.

It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin bikes
aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell it and buy new bike.

> > It is if it's rideable, it's worth riding.
>
> It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin bikes
> aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell it and buy new bike.

The geometry is probably not even close to what hardtail frames have evolved into, so it's probably
good for burning smooth tracks, but may be endo prone in technical terrain. Do you have any
pictures of it?

JD

> > It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin bikes
> > aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell
it
> > and buy new bike.
>
> The geometry is probably not even close to what hardtail frames have evolved into, so it's
> probably good for burning smooth tracks, but may be endo prone in technical terrain. Do you have
> any pictures of it?

No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.

"jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > It is rideable, but frame is to big for me. I think it is 22". So, I think, as long Marin
> > > bikes aren't the cheapest ones, I could sell
> it
> > > and buy new bike.
> >
> > The geometry is probably not even close to what hardtail frames have evolved into, so it's
> > probably good for burning smooth tracks, but may be endo prone in technical terrain. Do you have
> > any pictures of it?
>
> No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.

Snap a digital photo of it and let's see it.

JD

> > No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.
>
> Snap a digital photo of it and let's see it.

I don't have digital cam. This is Joe Murray design 1984 Marin. It looks like ordinary bike frame.
Non suspension fork. Are you familiar with that brand? I looked on ebay, google and find nothing
about particular model. I found out only that Marin bike are kind of expensive. ooops I see some
sunsine thru the window:) Gotta bike:)

"jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks

A 1984 Marin ... Priceless

Bob Buckley's company "Marin Mountain Bikes" didn't start production until 1986, although the
company was founded in 1985.

In 1984, Joe Murray was still racing and designing for Gary Fisher. Marin Mountain Bikes was founded
in 1985, and the first year of production was 1986. Check the company site, the company is only 18
years old.

From an old SBA Interview with Bob Buckley:

"It was at a race that Buckley met world champion mountain bike racer Joe Murray, who planted the
seed that was to become Marin Mountain Bikes. Recalls Buckley, "I talked to him about expanding my
line of accessories and he asked, 'Why don't we make bikes?'"

They did. After a research trip to Taiwan, the world center of bicycle manufacturing, the two men
returned to California to set up shop. The racer translated his cycling expertise into innovative
bike design, and Marin Mountain Bikes soon introduced its first model.

One year later -1987 - there were five models. Not only were the neon-colored bikes an immediate
success with customers, but the revolutionary, first-ever titanium model won Bicycle Guide's Best
Bike award in 1987 and 1988."

"In 1986, the first year, we sold only 160 bikes. In 1993 we sold 140,000." (Bob Buckley)

So either your year is wrong, or you have a pre-production (Fisher) Marin.

"Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks
>
> A 1984 Marin ... Priceless
Cool. I m rich:))

> So either your year is wrong, or you have a pre-production (Fisher)

There is a sign pasted to the frame that says "designed by Joe Murray 1984-1985" There are sign
Marin on diagonal tube and logo on the front of the bike. Who know, maybe I do have $ome vintage
bike :) It could be designed in these years, but production could started later. Dunno and this is
the reason why I posted my question on this group.

"jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi Has someone any idea if this could be worth something? thanks
> >
> > A 1984 Marin ... Priceless
> Cool. I m rich:))

Careful ... What is priceless to some collectors is worthless to others.

> > So either your year is wrong, or you have a pre-production (Fisher)
>
> There is a sign pasted to the frame that says "designed by Joe Murray 1984-1985"

Designed by .... that's the key.

> There are sign Marin on diagonal tube and logo on the front of the bike. Who know, maybe I do have
> $ome vintage bike :) It could be designed in these years, but production could started later.

There you go ... designed in 1984-1985. 1985 is an important year in Murray's career .... first
national championship and all. It also gives a nod to Fisher, since Murray was not only riding for
Fisher at the time, but also doing R & D. Unfortunately, "Designed By" doesn't make it the year of
production. Serial numbers, color, detail and country of orgin, will give you more clues to the year
of production. It could very well be one of the first 160 produced in 1986, but it is doubtful that
it is from 1984.

> Dunno and this is the reason why I posted my question on this group.

Good luck in your search ... It'll be interesting to see what Marin has to say about it (if you ever
get an answer). Can you post a component list ... color ... decal colors ... etc.

"jazu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > No I don't have. I sent email to Marin. I hope they will reply to me.
> >
> > Snap a digital photo of it and let's see it.
>
> I don't have digital cam.

Borrow one. Unless we see it, there's almost no way we can determine what you have.

JD