1984 miyata pista - how much?

jbyke

Jul 26, 2016
Hey all, I hope this is the right place to post this...

I am looking for advice about a track bike I would like to sell. It is a 1984 Team Miyata pista, in near perfect condition, all Dura-Ace components (7500 I believe), with later model dura ace aero stem and dura ace seat post and array aero rims. It also has a brand new Turbo saddle on (never ridden, bought to stick on for resale and authenticity) and the original Vittoria Servizio Corsa Cronometro tubulars that look worn (aged but still have near perfect tread.)

It was ridden three winters, always indoors at the Montreal Olympic stadium track and hasn't been ridden in at least 25 (or more like 30!) years.

What do you think it's worth, given it's collector's status? I was thinking of posting it for $2000 - too steep, too low?

About 10 years ago I saw the exact same bike, but in mediocre condition, on sale online from Germany for 1000 USD, and last year I saw a very dinged same era frame for sale on eBay for 900 USD - that is sort of what I am basing my price on, but would like some input.

Thanks,

Jbyke

Are the components NJS marked?
I had to google that. :) How can I tell? Presumably yes, I guess...

I bought it from a bike shop where I worked in 1986 - it had been sitting "on a shelf" unsold for 2 years, from a reputed Miyata dealer here in Montreal. It's not a fake, but where do I look to "prove" its "certification"? Its serial # is M578308 (the M is a year designation = 1984) if that means anything....

Thanks,

Jbyke

The Components would be stamped with the letters NJS. Most would be in visible locations. A keiren certified, Japanese production frameset would be more valuable to a collector than a standard track export model with non-identified components.

As to the value, that's a tough one. $2K to a collector for a mint example 'might' fly. I've seen beaters priced in the $1000 range...no clue if they actually sell to the next racer looking to get on to the track. The competition from cheap, new aluminum and carbon track models seems to be what the local racers buy to take out and abuse.

Throw it up on eBay and see what happens. You can always drop the price and re-list it.

Miyata's are a great bike with a superb frame, your bike was considered semi pro level, I don't think many were imported to the US since track racing was not a thing here which is why the one you bought sat for 2 years without anyone purchasing it, so I think the rarity of the bike is going to be important to get a good price, in fact this bike is so rare I could not find anyone on E-bay or anywhere else that had one for sale, and even the Miyata catalog doesn't even list a track bike. The track series did have a different and unique lug set to it that was rare in themselves, If it's in mint condition I would shoot for $2,000 and relist if it doesn't sell like CampyBob said, there are Miyata collectors out there and you might be surprised what you might get for it.

The weird thing about the $2,000 asking price is that it could be worth more, and maybe less, but if more we will never know because I can't find one for sale anywhere in the world to get a price trail going.

The Components would be stamped with the letters NJS. Most would be in visible locations. A keiren certified, Japanese production frameset would be more valuable to a collector than a standard track export model with non-identified components.

As to the value, that's a tough one. $2K to a collector for a mint example 'might' fly. I've seen beaters priced in the $1000 range...no clue if they actually sell to the next racer looking to get on to the track. The competition from cheap, new aluminum and carbon track models seems to be what the local racers buy to take out and abuse.

Throw it up on eBay and see what happens. You can always drop the price and re-list it.

Thanks for the reply - it is in excellent condition, but would likely only interest a collector. I'll try what you said. I will be posting some pics in the OP in a few mins, too, if you want to check them out

Cheers,
Jbyke

Miyata's are a great bike with a superb frame, your bike was considered semi pro level, I don't think many were imported to the US since track racing was not a thing here which is why the one you bought sat for 2 years without anyone purchasing it, so I think the rarity of the bike is going to be important to get a good price, in fact this bike is so rare I could not find anyone on E-bay or anywhere else that had one for sale, and even the Miyata catalog doesn't even list a track bike. The track series did have a different and unique lug set to it that was rare in themselves, If it's in mint condition I would shoot for $2,000 and relist if it doesn't sell like CampyBob said, there are Miyata collectors out there and you might be surprised what you might get for it.

The weird thing about the $2,000 asking price is that it could be worth more, and maybe less, but if more we will never know because I can't find one for sale anywhere in the world to get a price trail going.

It was a VERY rare bike. in fact, the reason I haven't put it up for sale is I have been poking around for a couple of years to try and see what other people are selling them for, but they are almost non-existent!

I will post some pics in the OP so that people can get an idea.

thanks,

Jbyke

I don't seem to be able to post them. they are jpegs, but it keeps coming up with an error message...

It was a VERY rare bike. in fact, the reason I haven't put it up for sale is I have been poking around for a couple of years to try and see what other people are selling them for, but they are almost non-existent!

I will post some pics in the OP so that people can get an idea.

thanks,

Jbyke

As crazy as this sounds, but unless you need the money I would frame it! I've known people who have done that with rare and or expensive vintage bikes.