1985 Tour

tcklyde said:
Hey all, VeloNews is running a feature on the 1985 TdF. It's interesting reading.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/9206.0.html

I remember the 85 TDF : Stephen Roche finished 4th on GC and Sean kelly finished 5th on GC and won the Green Jersey !

But yes, LeMond showed that year that he was the kingmaker.
Was that the year that Hinault broke his (own) nose at St Etienne or was that
1986 ?
I can't recall.

LeMond if I recall correctly could well have won that TDF : the only main player missing was Fignon who had won both the 1983 and 1984 TDF but was
injured in 1985.

LeMond finished third in his first TDF as the article says.
He was a great rider.

limerickman said:
I remember the 85 TDF : Stephen Roche finished 4th on GC and Sean kelly finished 5th on GC and won the Green Jersey !

1986 ?
I can't recall.

LeMond if I recall correctly could well have won that TDF : the only main player missing was Fignon who had won both the 1983 and 1984 TDF but was
injured in 1985.

He was a great rider.

1985 was Hinault's number 5 - the year he crashed and broke his nose, the year he couldn't keep up with Greg - the year Guimard (?) told Greg to sit up in his break and wait for Bernard who was "right behind him" (way way back) the year Greg absolutely would have won his first Tour but for team politics and French egos.

And the year Bernard promised he'd help Greg next time- the last time Greg ever trusted anything Hinault said.

DiabloScott said:
1985 was Hinault's number 5 - the year he crashed and broke his nose, the year he couldn't keep up with Greg - the year Guimard (?) told Greg to sit up in his break and wait for Bernard who was "right behind him" (way way back) the year Greg absolutely would have won his first Tour but for team politics and French egos.

And the year Bernard promised he'd help Greg next time- the last time Greg ever trusted anything Hinault said.
When you talk to Lemond now, he'll still get agitated just thinking of Hinault's deceit. His stories have not changed since they happened. One of the greatest rivalries in sport. Kind of like 2 quarterbacks fighting for the starting position at next Sunday's game (USA football;)).

limerickman said:

1986 ?
I can't recall.

injured in 1985.

He was a great rider.

I hesitate to correct you L'man but didn't Phil Anderson come 5th in 1985? It sort of sticks in my mind because its the highest finish by an Aussie (he also came 5th in '82 I think).

mitosis said:
I hesitate to correct you L'man but didn't Phil Anderson come 5th in 1985? It sort of sticks in my mind because its the highest finish by an Aussie (he also came 5th in '82 I think).
Kelly was 4th in fact

Rank Name Country Team Time

1 Bernard Hinault France La Vie Claire 113h 24' 23"

2 Greg LeMond United States La Vie Claire 1' 42"

3 Stephen Roche Ireland 4' 29"

4 Sean Kelly Ireland 6' 26"

5 Phil Anderson Australia 7' 44"

6 Pedro Delgado Spain 11' 53"

7 Luis Herrera Colombia 12' 53"

8 Fabio Parra Colombia Cafe de Colombia 13' 35"

9 Eduardo Chozas Spain 13' 56"

10 Steve Bauer Canada La Vie Claire 14' 57

mitosis said:

Apologies : Sean Kelly finished 4th in 1985 and PH finished 5th in 1985, TDF.
(see Wicklow's GC placings above).

PH was a hard man - great cyclist.
In fact I read a comment from Kelly that the idea was put about in 1979/1980
that a international team be formed with PH, SK, Paul Sherwen to compete because there were so few "foreigners" in the peloton.
Imagine a team comprising of Kelly/Roche/Anderson/LeMond/Hampten/Millar/Bauer !

The 1985 TdF was a good one! Or at least I remember it really well. The most memorable thing for me was that (like others) I really thought LeMond could've and should've won that year. I liked Hinault okay and he rode well but I really thought he got a gift that year.

meehs said:
The 1985 TdF was a good one! Or at least I remember it really well. The most memorable thing for me was that (like others) I really thought LeMond could've and should've won that year. I liked Hinault okay and he rode well but I really thought he got a gift that year.

I think that leMond in hindsight would probably agree with you that he (greg) should have gone for the win - especailly after Hinault's shennanigans in 1986
TDF.

Hinault said he'd help Greg to win in 1986 and he ended up trying to beat leMond.
LeMond was (naturally) like a nervous wreck not knowing if his own team was with him or against him!

limerickman said:
Apologies : Sean Kelly finished 4th in 1985 and PH finished 5th in 1985, TDF.
(see Wicklow's GC placings above).

PH was a hard man - great cyclist.
In fact I read a comment from Kelly that the idea was put about in 1979/1980
that a international team be formed with PH, SK, Paul Sherwen to compete because there were so few "foreigners" in the peloton.
Imagine a team comprising of Kelly/Roche/Anderson/LeMond/Hampten/Millar/Bauer !

Unfortunately I don't remember much of Hampten and Millar but by reputation and results that would be an awesome team.

The last I heard of Phil Anderson was in the Crocodile Trophy in North Queensland and as a mentor of one of the up and coming Australian cyclists whose name escapes me at the moment.

limerickman said:
I think that leMond in hindsight would probably agree with you that he (greg) should have gone for the win - especailly after Hinault's shennanigans in 1986
TDF.

Hinault said he'd help Greg to win in 1986 and he ended up trying to beat leMond.
LeMond was (naturally) like a nervous wreck not knowing if his own team was with him or against him!

Must be a little how Ullrich feels in Le Tour!

mitosis said:
Must be a little how Ullrich feels in Le Tour!
Well yes just how Ullrich felt in the 1997 Tour.... he was Riis's number 2 but in the end had to go for the win and Riis let him win.... in 1996 Ullrich let Riis win even thou Ullrich had it in him to win as well.......

LeMond had to let his captain win in 1985... if he tried to win Hinault would of instructed the entire peleton to ride against LeMond and forever more... it was the right thing to do for LeMond... he didn't have the American team that Armstrong had to call the shots.... nothing to do with the French as LeMond was the junior.....