1990 XT front hub bearings

MSeries

Guest
Does anyone happen to know what size balls will be in my 1990 XT front
hub ? 3/16" and 9 of them each side ?

MSeries brought next idea :
> Does anyone happen to know what size balls will be in my 1990 XT front
> hub ? 3/16" and 9 of them each side ?

3/16, certainly, but ten of them, I think. Unfortunately, four years of
separation from my old (bike mechanic's) job and the fact that, upon
checking, it seems that one of my colleagues decided to throw away all
the pre-1992 technical sheets we once had means I can't be sure.

If non one else has any more accurate information, assemble it with ten
(don't bother to lock the cones), twiddle the axle a few times (and see
if it feels "right"), then remove the axle carefully and see if ten
*look* right.

--
Simon
www.simondaw.freeserve.co.uk

Simon D wrote:
> MSeries brought next idea :
>> Does anyone happen to know what size balls will be in my 1990 XT front
>> hub ? 3/16" and 9 of them each side ?

> 3/16, certainly, but ten of them, I think. Unfortunately, four years of
> separation from my old (bike mechanic's) job and the fact that, upon
> checking, it seems that one of my colleagues decided to throw away all
> the pre-1992 technical sheets we once had means I can't be sure.
>
> If non one else has any more accurate information, assemble it with ten
> (don't bother to lock the cones), twiddle the axle a few times (and see
> if it feels "right"), then remove the axle carefully and see if ten
> *look* right.

I'll simply count and measure the old bearings as I dissassemble the
hub. I was asking so I could get the new balls first instead of taking
the hubapart, going out to get the new balls then finishing the job.
Sheldon B. said 10 ! anyhoo I bought some new ones today, £1 for twenty
so May 1st is pencilled in for bike maintenance day. New balls, new
brake cables, once over for the best bike - great. You'll find me in the
garage !!!