1991 Raleigh Technium Pro – 21” Road Bike

stocksaf

May 13, 2011
Looking for some advice. I'm new to the cycling world and was wondering if this bike is worth the money and will last me several years. I plan on starting slow, riding about 50 miles a week (25 miles round trip to work). I'm looking into used bikes because my budget can't afford the LBS new prices and I don't want to purchase a Walmart special.

1991 Raleigh Technium Pro – 21” Road Bike

FOR SALE – LIKE NEW / EXCELLENT CONDITION / FULLY REFURBISHED – Vintage 1991 Raleigh Technium Pro – 14-Speed Road Racing Bike. 21” Easton Aluminum Tube Frame & Chromoly Rear Triangle & Fork. Full Shimano 105 Component Group. Weighs Only 21 lbs. Red & Black Color Frame Which Shows Only Very Minor Signs Of Wear. Really Nice Model Year For Quality Of Shimano 105 Group. Bike Is In Excellent "Like New" Condition For Its Age (Made In USA), Tuned, Straight And True And Should Fit Riders From About 5’6” to 5’11” They are asking $350, but I did find another list for $250 from a LBS that would ship it to me for $60. Thanks for any help you can provide.

IMO, there are better choices for that kind of money. IIRC, the Technium frame had bonded (ie, glued) joints. The cro-mo steel rear triangle is bonded into aluminum lugs, which makes those joints a candidate for dissimilar-metal corrosion. I had a 1991 Raleigh Competition, which was a 531 steel frame bonded into alloy lugs. In several places, the aluminum joining rings corroded through after about 3 years, despite the fact the bike had been stored indoors. Raleigh did replace the frame under warranty, no questions asked....fine customer support.

For $350, I'd look for "regular" aluminum or steel frame bike; newer would be plus as well. Also, pay attention to the wheels, which do wearout on all bikes eventually. Low-quality or worn-out wheels mean you'll have to spend lots more money; any bike with dodgey wheels should be priced accordingly.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you have any advice on a good starter bike for around the same cost?