1993-94 Rockhopper FS Comp Shock problem

Ftltarpon

Sep 5, 2009
I have a 93-94 Specialized Rockhopper that I am reviving for my wife. It has an air/oil front shock. You can inject air into the shock with a small pump after removing the fork caps. There is a rubber grommet with a small hole to insert an inflation needle in the top of the shock. One of the grommets has been pushed through the hole. Can this be replaced? I injected air into the other side and when I hit a bump, oil was forced out of the side with the grommet missing soaking my shirt. If not, any suggestion for a cheap shock replacement?

Ftltarpon said:
I have a 93-94 Specialized Rockhopper that I am reviving for my wife. It has an air/oil front shock. You can inject air into the shock with a small pump after removing the fork caps. There is a rubber grommet with a small hole to insert an inflation needle in the top of the shock. One of the grommets has been pushed through the hole. Can this be replaced? I injected air into the other side and when I hit a bump, oil was forced out of the side with the grommet missing soaking my shirt. If not, any suggestion for a cheap shock replacement?
If the steerer is 1 1/8", then eBay.

BTW. 1993? Are you sure the shock was designed to use oil as a dampener?

alfeng said:

The shock has never been serviced and yesterday I got quick shpwer of oil when the shock compressed.

alfeng said:

That he was showered with oil and dampened doesn't change the fact that a shock is a damper and not a dampener :p