1993 TDF Photos

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Folks - I got this link from a pal : excellent shots of the 1993 TDF.

Riis, Roche, Hampsten, Robert Millar, Big Mig, Zenon Jaskula (Poland), Frankie Andreu, Alvaro Mejia, Gianni Bugno, Pascal Lino, Udo Bolts, and a very young Lance Armstrong.

Final shows the most successful DS of modern times : Jose Maria Echevarria

Superb memories.

Enjoy.

http://www.bobmina.com/1993_TourDeFrance.htm

We can see Armstrong's chest on those pictures for whom need to weigh it!;)

But the most impressive stays Pla d'Adet !

poulidor said:
Yes I am !
Thought so.... what's the general feeling in the French press and amongst the people about Landis and OP ? Do French people care about the doping as much as the press does or do they really not care ? From the outside in appears the French press hate the doping and the lying but the French public like the US really don't care ?

whiteboytrash said:
Thought so.... what's the general feeling in the French press and amongst the people about Landis and OP ? Do French people care about the doping as much as the press does or do they really not care ? From the outside in appears the French press hate the doping and the lying but the French public like the US really don't care ?
I try to answer with my insufficient english level and with what I believe see or understand from the behaviour of my fellow citizen.
French people knows doping is very developped in many sports. What is the most important for us, it's not to not dope, but it's not to lie with "tales" when they are caught. "Tales" are like an insult, it's like they are speaking to stupid people! Those riders seem have no dignity, even a thief can have one!
About Landis, he is seen as a doper until he find a good answer to his positivity. We are certainly more realistic than "devil" lawyers, or posters here trying all opportunities to escape. Without new strong evidence people do'nt care.
A good overview : Virenque's life as liar was terrible, after his confession, it become quietter (or more quiet)!

Thank-you I know exactly what you are saying. I think in the US, the UK and Australia that to be "seen" as honest is more important than actually being honest. Therefore a cyclist will lie and lie and lie to be "seen" as honest. Like you say in France there is more honour in telling the truth that you doped than being seen as "not doping". Explains a lot about our cultures. Asian countries are similar in terms of "losing face". I have noted that Vireqnue became quite a star after his confession. Fiat justitia ruat coelum.

One more question and its for the record. Outside the doping allegations is Armstrong seen as a hero in France ? in the press and the public ? Did his achievements get publicity in the publications like l’Equipe ?

ps you English is excellent.

poulidor said:
I try to answer with my insufficient english level and with what I believe see or understand from the behaviour of my fellow citizen.
French people knows doping is very developped in many sports. What is the most important for us, it's not to not dope, but it's not to lie with "tales" when they are caught. "Tales" are like an insult, it's like they are speaking to stupid people! Those riders seem have no dignity, even a thief can have one!
About Landis, he is seen as a doper until he find a good answer to his positivity. We are certainly more realistic than "devil" lawyers, or posters here trying all opportunities to escape. Without new strong evidence people do'nt care.
A good overview : Virenque's life as liar was terrible, after his confession, it become quietter (or more quiet)!

whiteboytrash said:
Thank-you I know exactly what you are saying. I think in the US, the UK and Australia that to be "seen" as honest is more important than actually being honest. Therefore a cyclist will lie and lie and lie to be "seen" as honest. Like you say in France there is more honour in telling the truth that you doped than being seen as "not doping". Explains a lot about our cultures. Asian countries are similar in terms of "losing face". I have noted that Vireqnue became quite a star after his confession. Fiat justitia ruat coelum.
Your understanding of what I tried to say is correct
Virenque was a star before Festina, and above all for girls, not cycling fans! Till his confession it was despairs for many of them.
One more question and its for the record. Outside the doping allegations is Armstrong seen as a hero in France ? in the press and the public ? Did his achievements get publicity in the publications like l’Equipe ?
Too many suspicions against LA, his answers during Festina affairs, his behaviour against Basson, US/Postal rubbish, ... prevent him becoming a hero.
Despite this, despite his recurrent problems with french press who like ask some "good questions" LA received very good press till Armstrong lies!
The dark clouds were become a storm.
I think "this good press" was needed for a small part by political reasons (France against Iraq's war seen by stupid Bush as against US!)
If LA were a French, it would be hang on a barn
ps you English is excellent.
Ne me prend pas pour un idiot!:D Ne doit-on pas dire "your English"?

poulidor said:
The dark clouds become a storm.
Never a truer word spoken..... I thats what got him with the French in the end.... to many clouds that built up into one big storm...

whiteboytrash said:
Thank-you I know exactly what you are saying. I think in the US, the UK and Australia that to be "seen" as honest is more important than actually being honest. Therefore a cyclist will lie and lie and lie to be "seen" as honest. Like you say in France there is more honour in telling the truth that you doped than being seen as "not doping". Explains a lot about our cultures...
I'd modify that a bit. In America, it's about marketing numbers. When the tide turns and it gets to a point where the truth is more profitable than the lie, then the truth will come out. With Armstrong, there are certain factors that haven't allowed us to reach that point yet.

To me, the parallels between Armstrong and the Bush administration are striking. Take the war for example. Had the US and coalition of the willing quelled the conflict, stopped the looting, kept the various sects from slitting each others throats, prevented bordering countries from getting involved (that's still yet come, but coming it will), established a functioning government, provide security for the citizens... basically won the "war," then the presence of WMDs, in the minds of most Americans, would be irrelevant.

Forgive us Americans. We elected a guy owned by big business and evangelicals. It's the worse possible combination. It's taken six years for the tide to shift enough to arrest power from this whack job and his cronies, but in the end I think a cultural upheaval will occur that will keep us from making these types of mistakes in the future. Many of the right-wing nut jobs got tossed out this election.

Anyway, back to Lance. Right now, in the states, money is the highest imperative and has been for a long time. It trumps truth. That might change some over time, but it won't be lightening quick. I suspect Lance will go to his grave claiming he never doped. If he were to come clean, he might become a celebrity in France, but he'd just be a doped bicycle rider here in the states. I don't see him coming clean.

But then again, who ever thought OJ would come clean?

Great pics! Bugno with those huge silly glasses (I thought they were soooo cool) and the World Champion jersey.

Indurain, Big Mig, the gentleman. Never felt the need to talk trash...

Hampsteen doing his best to speak Italian and some French. Appreciated as one of the new guys from over there... :rolleyes:

Ahhh... the good ole days! :p

limerickman said:
Folks - I got this link from a pal in : excellent shots of the 1993 TDF.

Riis, Roche, Hampsten, Robert Millar, Big Mig, Zenon Jaskula (Poland), Frankie Andreu, Alvaro Mejia, Gianni Bugno, Pascal Lino, Udo Bolts, and a very young Lance Armstrong.

Final shows the most successful DS of modern times : Jose Maria Echevarria

Superb memories.

Enjoy.

http://www.bobmina.com/1993_TourDeFrance.htm

what's your cyclingplus forum name then? :p

Powerful Pete said:
Great pics! Bugno with those huge silly glasses (I thought they were soooo cool) and the World Champion jersey.

Indurain, Big Mig, the gentleman. Never felt the need to talk trash...

Hampsteen doing his best to speak Italian and some French. Appreciated as one of the new guys from over there... :rolleyes:

Ahhh... the good ole days! :p

World championships back to back victories too, for Gianni.
Classy cyclist.

Gotta agree about Gianni's glasses though!

I always liked his Gatorade jersey.

limerickman said:
World championships back to back victories too, for Gianni.
Classy cyclist.

Gotta agree about Gianni's glasses though!

I always liked his Gatorade jersey.
1993 Bugno was knocked from his bike and as he got up he took a swipe at the fan with his front wheel..... of course glasses stayed on and in position..... Hampston also didn't mind donning the wrap-arounds...... in the Bugno crash Miller was knocked down as well but wearing those stupid toe-clips he couldn't get back up..... he wore the TIME system in the TT's..............

whiteboytrash said:
1993 Bugno was knocked from his bike and as he got up he took a swipe at the fan with his front wheel..... of course glasses stayed on and in position..... Hampston also didn't mind donning the wrap-arounds...... in the Bugno crash Miller was knocked down as well but wearing those stupid toe-clips he couldn't get back up..... he wore the TIME system in the TT's..............

Of course, they stayed on and were still in position - he's Italian and Italians always look cool!

Andy had the same (Gianni) shades in the 1992 TDF if I recall correctly.

As for Robert Millar - that was around the time the clipless started to take hold in the peloton : so he can be excused for not being used to them.

limerickman said:
Of course, they stayed on and were still in position - he's Italian and Italians always look cool!

Andy had the same (Gianni) shades in the 1992 TDF if I recall correctly.

As for Robert Millar - that was around the time the clipless started to take hold in the peloton : so he can be excused for not being used to them.

1992? They'd been around for 7 years - hell even I had Look pedals by 1988. Only some guy named Kelly was still holding out by 1990.

DiabloScott said:
1992? They'd been around for 7 years - hell even I had Look pedals by 1988. Only some guy named Kelly was still holding out by 1990.
Yeah. I had the original clunky white look pedals. Atala Columbus Sl frame (or something of the sort), mix of Gipiemme, and Campagnolo components. Galli brakes. Benotto shiny bar tape. Brooks professional saddle. Nisi rims, Clement 2001 'rigid' tubulars. Salivating about Super Record parts (bought 'em, part by part with my savings/allowances/money begged from the grandparents).

Whoa, the memories.