1995 Campag Hub bearing size?

Johan Bornman

Guest
I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.

With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb nuts
take up too much space on the axle, leaving no room for the drop-outs
to rest. I therefore assume that it requires smaller balls? But how
many and what size? Also, are they of the same size both sides?

JB

"Defendit numerus." - anonymous

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:41:05 -0700, Johan Bornman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
>can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.
>
>With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb nuts
>take up too much space on the axle, leaving no room for the drop-outs
>to rest. I therefore assume that it requires smaller balls? But how
>many and what size? Also, are they of the same size both sides?

There should be (9) one-fourth inch balls in the left cup. The right
cup is home to (10) seven thirty-seconds inch balls.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996
http://www.businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

Johan Bornman wrote:
> I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
> can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.
>
> With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb nuts
> take up too much space on the axle, leaving no room for the drop-outs
> to rest. I therefore assume that it requires smaller balls? But how
> many and what size? Also, are they of the same size both sides?

Record-8 right side is a front cone with a 10mm thread; 7/32" balls,
10 count IIRC.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> Johan Bornman wrote:
> > I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
> > can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.
> >
> > With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb nuts
> > take up too much space on the axle, leaving no room for the drop-outs
> > to rest. I therefore assume that it requires smaller balls? But how
> > many and what size? Also, are they of the same size both sides?

> Record-8 right side is a front cone with a 10mm thread; 7/32" balls,
> 10 count IIRC.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks John and Andrew. Now for that calculation that'll help me
identify the 7 /32 balls with a metric vernier....

Johan Bornman wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
>> Johan Bornman wrote:
>>> I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that I
>>> can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.
>>>
>>> With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb nuts
>>> take up too much space on the axle, leaving no room for the drop-outs
>>> to rest. I therefore assume that it requires smaller balls? But how
>>> many and what size? Also, are they of the same size both sides?

>> Record-8 right side is a front cone with a 10mm thread; 7/32" balls,
>> 10 count IIRC.
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Thanks John and Andrew. Now for that calculation that'll help me
> identify the 7 /32 balls with a metric vernier....

7*25.4/32=

"Johan Bornman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A Muzi wrote:
> > Johan Bornman wrote:
> > > I have what I believe is a +- 1995 Campagnolo rear 8-speed hub that

> > > can save and use if I can find the right balls for it.
> > >
> > > With nine 1/4 inch balls fitted on each side, the cones and jamb

nuts
> > > take up too much space on the axle, leaving no room for the

drop-outs
> > > to rest. I therefore assume that it requires smaller balls? But how
> > > many and what size? Also, are they of the same size both sides?

> > Record-8 right side is a front cone with a 10mm thread; 7/32" balls,
> > 10 count IIRC.
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > www.yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Thanks John and Andrew. Now for that calculation that'll help me
> identify the 7 /32 balls with a metric vernier....

5.55752mm

Chas.

Johan Bornman wrote:
> Thanks John and Andrew. Now for that calculation that'll help me
> identify the 7 /32 balls with a metric vernier....

No need to measure with a caliper.
Use a sealed packet marked "Grade 25 7/32" balls".

It's the alikeness (not roundness or any other feature) which gives them
value. Don't mix bearings from different sets or of unknown provenance.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

nuts

drop-outs

> > John Dacey & A Muzi wrote:
> >> Record-8 right side is a front cone with a 10mm thread; 7/32" balls,
> >> 10 count IIRC.

> Johan Bornman wrote:
> > Thanks John and Andrew. Now for that calculation that'll help me
> > identify the 7 /32 balls with a metric vernier....

> No need to measure with a caliper.
> Use a sealed packet marked "Grade 25 7/32" balls".
>
> It's the alikeness (not roundness or any other feature) which gives them
> value. Don't mix bearings from different sets or of unknown provenance.
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971