1997 Veloce, Any Major flaws?

Raymo853

Guest
Does anyone know if the 1997 Veloce stuff was prone to any problems?

"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if the 1997 Veloce stuff was prone to any problems?

Problems? Yeah! Those of us who sold those bikes only get to put on tires and tape this season.
The guys who sold Shimano 1997 bikes get to sell their customer a complete drivetrain with
shifters by now.

rcc-<< Does anyone know if the 1997 Veloce stuff was prone to any problems?

Nope, it was 8s, but convertible to 9s easily.

Andy-<< Problems? Yeah! Those of us who sold those bikes only get to put on tires and tape this
season. The guys who sold Shimano 1997 bikes get to sell their customer a complete drivetrain with
shifters by now.

Well said, liked this...

In a word, no.

One of my bikes has '97 Veloce with over 15k miles on it now. Just rebuilt the Ergo levers, but
didn't really have to. Rear derailleur had to be replaced at about 13k miles for a sloppy lower
pivot; that's the only disappointment. The monoplanar brakes are superb, better authority and
modulation than Ultegra.

8 speed cassettes are kind of hard to find, but Sheldon Brown carries 'em. Personally I'm happy to
stick with 8 sp forever (except on my fixie). If you want to "upgrade" to 9 speed, it's pretty
simple to swap a part inside the right lever. The freehub body, chain and [I think] rear derailleur
pulleys are the only other things you have to change.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

mike-<< 8 speed cassettes are kind of hard to find, but Sheldon Brown carries 'em.

So do we-

<< The freehub body, chain and [I think] rear derailleur pulleys are the only other things you have
to change.

No need to change the pulleys when going to 9s...

Are 97 veloce brakes single pivot? (I know the Avanti's are)

If so, might like a dual pivot on the front.

~PB

>Are 97 veloce brakes single pivot?

Mine are. They're the so-called "monoplanar" style. The calipers do not overlap front and back like
most single-pivots. Rather, the arm with the cable pull passes through a cutout in the arm with the
cable receptacle and barrel adjuster. This puts the brake shoes exactly in plane with each other.
I'm not convinced that explains how nicely these brakes work, I really like 'em.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

"MikeYankee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Are 97 veloce brakes single pivot?
>
> Mine are. They're the so-called "monoplanar" style. The
calipers do not
> overlap front and back like most single-pivots. Rather,
the arm with the cable
> pull passes through a cutout in the arm with the cable
receptacle and barrel
> adjuster. This puts the brake shoes exactly in plane with
each other. I'm not
> convinced that explains how nicely these brakes work, I
really like 'em.

I like 'em too, better than current Shimano dual pivots. I've ridden a lot on a Mirage bike from
that era, and the brakes are practically the same.

My only reservation about "cheaper" Campy stuff (like Mirage) is the hubs with cartridge bearings.
There's nothing wrong with them, but I'd rather have normal cup and cone ones, for serviceability's
sake. I don't know what '97 Veloce has, though.

Matt O.