1998 Colnago C40 with Record components? is it too old for carbon?

Dishwashr

Jul 14, 2011
Im looking at buying a 1998 Colnago C40 with 2008 full record Components. It has been kept in good condition but still seems to be an old carbon bike. Ive heard amazing things about this bike, but 1998 makes me skeptical, especially in 2011 with all the new bikes. The bike is being sold for 1500, which seems like a really good price, even just for the components.

Any ideas or thoughts? Do i save up and buy a new bike, or get this one? BTW it does fit me.

Thanks

Have you seen this bike and can you get a test ride? If the Record Group Set is in really good condition, go ahead and pull the trigger, and then ride that beast until you can afford a newer frame for the components. Actually, I don't know of anyone who has worn out a CF frame. I know plenty who have trashed them in a crash or from over tightening a fastener but never from wearing it out. That is not to say that they cannot be worn out, I just haven't heard of it nor have I see it yet.

I have one about that year that a friend gave traded to me. I was going to build it up and just sell it, because i have so many bikes. I parted it up with spare parts, (shimano 600, Ultegra - not too fancy, and down tube shifters with 9 speed). I took it out for a short spin to see how it road, and ended up riding 62 miles! I use it all the time now because its very comfortable. Mine has a bit more rake in it's fork, so its really steady, and great for long rides and steady while climbing, which is a nice change than being on my twitchy race bike. I quickly realized why people liked that bike so much. Plus it gets a lot of comments and looks. The frame and fork go for about 850+ on line, so i would say its worth it for that nice ride.

Hello,
I am looking to buy a Colnago C40 HP from a forum member. I would like to know what should I look for, and where, to make sure that the frame and fork are genuine? Also the frame series, where is it placed? I am asking these questions, as I have heard, there are fake frames on the market, the so-called Chilnagos.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by JohnBohnJovi .

I am looking to buy a Colnago C40 HP from a forum member. I would like to know what should I look for, and where, to make sure that the frame and fork are genuine? Also the frame series, where is it placed? I am asking these questions, as I have heard, there are fake frames on the market, the so-called Chilnagos.
FWIW. I've seen the faux Pinarellos (and, I would consider one if I were in the market for a CF frame!) but I haven't seen a faux Colnago, yet ... at least, not one which could pass for a C40 or C50 ...

FYI. As you may probably know, the C40 HP has very distinctive chainstays ... so, if those are absent, then fuhgehdahbowdit ... Colnago PAINT jobs are very distinctive ... even the more subdued "designs" will be easy to distinguish if you've ever seen almost any other Colnago made after 1995 (... just to pick an almost-arbitrary timeframe since 'I' am not aware of Colnago's fancy-schamncy paint schemes prior to the mid-90s).
  • there may-or-may-not be a ridiculous number of 'labels' embedded within the paint scheme indicating that the frame is a 'Colnago'
  • there is probably an indication that it is a 'C40 HP' on the down tube near the BB
  • the frame's serial number is etched on the front derailleur hanger
The Colnago STAR fork is distinctively robust looking since it has less taper than most other CF forks ... Most Colnagos have main tubes which have a distinctive 'shape' ... AND, of course, the Colnago C40 frames use the odd-ball 28.0mm seatpost size -- so, have calipers in hand OR compare the inner diameter of the seat tube with a 27.2mm seatpost ...
  • DO NOT try to clamp a 27.2mm seatpost in a C40 frame because there is too much difference between 27.2mm & 28.0mm for you to be able to clamp a 27.2mm seatpost in the frame without damaging the frame unless you shim the seatpost (or, a shim is already in the seat tube) OR unless it is not a real C40.

@alfeng: Thank you very much for your response.
Indeed the Colnago I am interested in has the distinctive HP chain stays (diamond).

The paint looks good quality, Ernesto Colnago's signature is where is supposed to be, the tubes are 1"1/8 in diameter with the specific clover profile.
In my opinion the bike is genuine, however I am wondering where should the series be written?