1998 Ellsworth Truth: What's it worth?

Tama

Guest
I'm interested in buying a friend's 1998 Ellsworth Truth. It has
Shimano XT disk brakes, shifters and deraillures. Nice Mavic rims with
new tires. He's offered to tear it down and bring it back up from
scratch, including replacing all the bushings in the rear pivots to get
the bike as "like new" as possible. He's also offered to help get the
shocks set up to my weight, and to help get the bars and seat adjusted
to my height.

He wasn't sure what he should sell it for, but was thinking $1,000
would be fair. Any suggestions? It sounds like a good deal to me,
especially with all the help getting it set up.

Thanks,

Tama

Tama wrote:
> I'm interested in buying a friend's 1998 Ellsworth Truth. It has
> Shimano XT disk brakes, shifters and deraillures. Nice Mavic rims
> with new tires. He's offered to tear it down and bring it back up
> from scratch, including replacing all the bushings in the rear pivots
> to get the bike as "like new" as possible. He's also offered to help
> get the shocks set up to my weight, and to help get the bars and seat
> adjusted to my height.
>
> He wasn't sure what he should sell it for, but was thinking $1,000
> would be fair. Any suggestions? It sounds like a good deal to me,
> especially with all the help getting it set up.

Probably a very nice bike, but 7+ years is getting up there for an off-road
frame and components. (It DOES fit you, by the way?) What type of shock
and fork are on it -- original equipment? There is much newer (almost
certainly better) technology out there now, so that's another factor.

Check E-bay for comparable sales to get an idea of its worth; offer
accordingly (if at all).

Good luck, BS (no, I mean it)

Tama wrote:
> I'm interested in buying a friend's 1998 Ellsworth Truth.

You shouldn't do business with friends or family. The relationships are
move valuable than whatever deal you get on the goods.

Rich

This friend has done a lot of work for me at my house and an investment
property. He's a plumber/carpenter and has always charged me about a
third of what he should have. I've in turn helped him build a garage
and work on other projects. I trust him and am 95% sure I'm going to
get this bike. I just want to know if $1,000 for a 98 that's been
refurbished is about the right price. If this guy needed $1,000, I
would probably give it to him just because he's been such a great guy.
I don't really consider it doing business as much as making a fair
trade. If $1,000 is exorbitant, then I'll offer him less. If it's not
enough, I'll offer him more. I want him to get a good deal too.

Tama wrote:
> This friend has done a lot of work for me at my house and an

investment
> property. He's a plumber/carpenter and has always charged me about a
> third of what he should have. I've in turn helped him build a garage
> and work on other projects. I trust him and am 95% sure I'm going to
> get this bike. I just want to know if $1,000 for a 98 that's been
> refurbished is about the right price. If this guy needed $1,000, I
> would probably give it to him just because he's been such a great

guy.
> I don't really consider it doing business as much as making a fair
> trade. If $1,000 is exorbitant, then I'll offer him less. If it's

not
> enough, I'll offer him more. I want him to get a good deal too.

If you trust him then why ask if its a fair price? A plumber would
never overcharge. ;-)
Maggie - works for a GC.
PS...Why is this NG 98% male?

On 29 Mar 2005 06:09:09 -0800, Maggie <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tama wrote:
>> This friend has done a lot of work for me at my house and an

> investment
>> property. He's a plumber/carpenter and has always charged me about a
>> third of what he should have. I've in turn helped him build a garage
>> and work on other projects. I trust him and am 95% sure I'm going to
>> get this bike. I just want to know if $1,000 for a 98 that's been
>> refurbished is about the right price. If this guy needed $1,000, I
>> would probably give it to him just because he's been such a great

> guy.
>> I don't really consider it doing business as much as making a fair
>> trade. If $1,000 is exorbitant, then I'll offer him less. If it's

> not
>> enough, I'll offer him more. I want him to get a good deal too.

> If you trust him then why ask if its a fair price? A plumber would
> never overcharge. ;-)
> Maggie - works for a GC.
> PS...Why is this NG 98% male?

Women don't hang out here? There aren't as many women bike riders (true,
at least every place I've ever lived)?

--
Bob in CT

wrote:

> > Tama wrote:
> >> This friend has done a lot of work for me at my house and an

> > investment
> >> property. He's a plumber/carpenter and has always charged me

about a
> >> third of what he should have. I've in turn helped him build a

garage
> >> and work on other projects. I trust him and am 95% sure I'm going

> >> get this bike. I just want to know if $1,000 for a 98 that's been
> >> refurbished is about the right price. If this guy needed $1,000,

> >> would probably give it to him just because he's been such a great

> > guy.
> >> I don't really consider it doing business as much as making a fair
> >> trade. If $1,000 is exorbitant, then I'll offer him less. If

it's
> > not
> >> enough, I'll offer him more. I want him to get a good deal too.

> > If you trust him then why ask if its a fair price? A plumber would
> > never overcharge. ;-)
> > Maggie - works for a GC.
> > PS...Why is this NG 98% male?
> >

> Women don't hang out here? There aren't as many women bike riders

(true,
> at least every place I've ever lived)?
>
> --
> Bob in CT

Maybe there are alot of women who ride bikes, but they are not as
intense as some of the men who post here. (except for a few)....maybe
women ride for the fun of it. Men need the "macho" aspect of riding so
they can explain away the spandex/lycra, pretty color hats and fancy
shoes. ;-)
All good things,
Maggie

My friend said himself he wasn't sure what it should be. He asked me
what I thought, if I had seen anything on the net or around that would
help. I just want both of us to get a fair deal.

Tama wrote:
> My friend said himself he wasn't sure what it should be. He asked me
> what I thought, if I had seen anything on the net or around that would
> help. I just want both of us to get a fair deal.

I repeat, have you checked Ebay and/or MTBR Classifieds?

Tama wrote:
> I'm amazed at how quickly tangents appear in these threads.

Was that the one recorded by Michael Mcginnis "Tangents". Are you
Irish? Good sounds.
All good things,
Maggie

I've checked Ebay, searching for "Ellsworth Truth" under complete
auctions. The completed auctions ranged from $350 for a frame to
$2,275 for 2003 complete bike. Out of only 6 entries, the closest
match was a 2000 model that sold for $899. I usually think that ebay
prices are low considering the risk factor buyers are taking.

MTBR classifieds close matches include a 99 race ready setup with an
asking price of $1350, and another 2000 model with an asking price of
$1,000,000.

It's very hard to compare with so many different components, locations,
risk factors. This is why I'm asking the group if $1,000 is fair.
Seems like it is turning into a little economics lesson.

I guess we can call it quits on this thread, because the bottom line
always seems to be, "it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay."
And unless someone starts screaming that I could get a much better bike
my $1,000, I'm going to get this Ells.

Thanks!!!

Tama

Tama wrote:
> I'm interested in buying a friend's 1998 Ellsworth Truth. It has
> Shimano XT disk brakes, shifters and deraillures. Nice Mavic rims with
> new tires. He's offered to tear it down and bring it back up from
> scratch, including replacing all the bushings in the rear pivots to get
> the bike as "like new" as possible. He's also offered to help get the
> shocks set up to my weight, and to help get the bars and seat adjusted
> to my height.
>
> He wasn't sure what he should sell it for, but was thinking $1,000
> would be fair. Any suggestions? It sounds like a good deal to me,
> especially with all the help getting it set up.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tama

Check the pivots, I sold my '98 truth a year ago for $400 or $500 for
the frame, but had redone all the bushings shortly before.
Mine was also shot peened, which both adds to the strength and holds up
very well cosmetically, it looked very good. The condition and newness
of the fork should also be a considerationi.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
Edward R. Murrow

Thanks, Craig. The plan is to get a new bushing kit and start fresh.
The front fork is my biggest question now. I'm not sure what's on it.
A Manitou of some sort. I'll try to make sure the fork is in good
shape before I buy.

Thanks again-

Tama