1998 trek 5200

Stert

Oct 22, 2006
i am just getting into road biking from a friend that has been heavily into it for a few years now.

i was looking for my first bike and came across what looks like a pretty good deal. its a trek 5200 from 1998. it has about 500 miles on it. its a carbon frame, ultegra brakes, shifter, and derailer. decent pedals.

would there be any problem buying a bike that is this old?
he is asking $500 for it, what do you think?

i also need help on sizing. i am 6"0 and this bike is 58cm. this bike seems to be about as big as i could ride, i think i 57cm might be perfect... any thoughts on the size? my dad has a bike that is 58cm (its very old from when he was younger) that i have been riding with my friend until i get my own bike and it feels ok, but being new to the sport i wouldnt be able to really tell.

70_12.JPG

throw ur legs over the bike keep ur feel flat on the ground if ur balls dont touch the top tube then u'll be fine. Take it to ur LBS to get the saddle and handle bars adjusted...longer or shorter stem if needed and a tune up....new tires maybe? I'm 6' 1" and my LBS fitted me and said I needed a 58cm. I'd say $500 is a good price, but how much do u trust that its only been used for 500miles? seems pretty crazy that someone would go out and buy a $2k bike and ride it only 500miles over 8yr.

i was thinking the same thing about the 500 miles. the guy doesnt seem to know much of anything about bikes, so it seems reasonable that he didnt ride it.

he did a triathalon on a mountain bike, and after getting passed up by all the road bikes he decided to buy one and train for another race. he said he never raced in another one and its been sitting a lot. he said he had INtegra drivline parts, ect.

maybe i just want the story to be true more than anything

like i said my dad has a 58cm frame bike and i fit it pretty nicely, so i think ill be good.