1999 Klein Mantra - Good/Bad??

Patsplace

Aug 5, 2003
Howdy Folks,
Was at my local bike shop and came across a -0- miles '99 Klein Mantra in my size for the sum of $1600 Cdn. dollars. Brand new, fits perfect and all that.
I ride single track, roads and don't race. Downhill is for folks 35 years younger than me.

What do you folks think about this as a bike to buy?

Thanks,
Pat

Originally posted by Patsplace
Howdy Folks,
Was at my local bike shop and came across a -0- miles '99 Klein Mantra in my size for the sum of $1600 Cdn. dollars. Brand new, fits perfect and all that.
I ride single track, roads and don't race. Downhill is for folks 35 years younger than me.

What do you folks think about this as a bike to buy?

Thanks,
Pat

The bike was good in its day, but outdated now. The past 2 years in mtbiking have had several big jumps in performance of dualies. I'd buy it at a price that would equal that of new parts downgraded 1 level. In other words do not buy it for the frame. If it has a complete XT groupo consider it LX and value it as such. If it has a Judy value it as such, a manitou mars- value it as the lowest scareb etc. I think 1600cdn would be about 1300 USD? There quite a few nice bikes for that much money. Jamis Dakar comp or better look for an 02 or newer model, Giant and Trek are good. Klein's although owned by Trek are like Cannondales in that you buy them for the frame at a certian pricepoint. And the Klein Mantra is unfortunately dated. KHS makes good bikes and some are available online. Check Cambriabike.com and Jensonusa.com

Old style Sweet Spot frame no manufacture makes anymore because it was so bad.