1999 Specialized Allez Sport - Good Deal?

NativeTxn

Apr 28, 2011
I am looking to get into cycling and I am looking for a new (or new to me) road bike. Initially, I will use it for cross-training on days I do not run and for general fitness/fun. I do not plan on competing or racing.

I found the following link on CL:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bik/2350331416.html

and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is a good deal/fair price, etc. (as I am new to the sport and have no idea what used bikes of this nature should go for - aside from searching the internet some and looking at new MSRPs on bikepedia and attempting to figure what it might be reasonbly worth at this point in time) assuming it is in good condition, of course.

Also, I went to my LBS yesterday to try to figure out what size I need. The guy who worked with me said that in Specialized I would want a 58 and in Trek a 60 (those are two of the main brands they carry).

The poster of the above link is not positive what size it is, but said he believes it is a 56.

As a general matter, if the LBS said I need a 58 in a Specialized (and presuming he was accurate), would a 56 still work, or would it be too small?