1FG

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Phille, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Phille

    Phille Guest

    Tags:

  2. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:38:26 +0200, Phille <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Trying to get rid off the f*cking chainsuck, we managed building a 1FG C'dale bike with a Rohloff
    > SpeedHub ( http://www.rohloff.de/english/products/speedhub/index.htm ) and Magura Louise discs The
    > result here: http://sme.kpn.be/~phil1/
    >
    > Specs, euh later, most important weight 12kg
    >
    > P.

    It would seem to me that you actually made a 14FG bike.

    Miles

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  4. John G

    John G Guest

    Phille wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Trying to get rid off the f*cking chainsuck, we managed building a 1FG C'dale bike with a Rohloff
    > SpeedHub ( http://www.rohloff.de/english/products/speedhub/index.htm ) and Magura Louise discs The
    > result here: http://sme.kpn.be/~phil1/

    Interesting concoction indeed.

    I'm still waiting till my bud's "team issue" 1FG comes in from C'Dale to give it a good thrashing...
    bikes won;t be in till well after the first race of the season, luckily most of the team members
    still have last year's bikes to ride.

  5. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:38:26 +0200, "Phille" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Trying to get rid off the f*cking chainsuck, we managed building a 1FG C'dale bike with a Rohloff
    >SpeedHub ( http://www.rohloff.de/english/products/speedhub/index.htm ) and Magura Louise discs The
    >result here: http://sme.kpn.be/~phil1/
    >
    >Specs, euh later, most important weight 12kg
    >
    >P.

    Now that's what I'm talkinboutwullis!

    :-]

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Phille" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Trying to get rid off the f*cking chainsuck, we managed building a 1FG C'dale bike with a Rohloff
    > SpeedHub ( http://www.rohloff.de/english/products/speedhub/index.htm ) and Magura Louise discs The
    > result here: http://sme.kpn.be/~phil1/
    >
    > Specs, euh later, most important weight 12kg
    >
    > P.

    Isn't this a little like cutting off your penis just because some chick in the 7th grade didn't want
    to date you?
    --
    Slacker

  7. Phille

    Phille Guest

    Gimme the other solutions to avoid CS ... :) No I tried EVERYTHING ! Must say, here in Belgium
    winters and autumns are rather muddy ... No I'm not moving out ;-)

    P.

    > Phille wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Trying to get rid off the f*cking chainsuck, we managed building a 1FG C'dale bike with a
    > > Rohloff SpeedHub (
    >
    > Isn't a Rohloff a rather extreme solution to chainsuck?
    >
    > Whereabouts in Belgium are you?
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Phille wrote:
    > Gimme the other solutions to avoid CS ... :)

    Chainsuck is primarily caused due to wear on the chainrings, and is most pronounced when a new
    chain is added. The inverse is also true. Replacing the entire drivetrain at the same time is the
    way to go.

    Certain chainsets are more prone to suck than others (Bontrager springs to mind) and it can also be
    caused by an incorrect chainline due to incorrect BB length or choice of cranks. IME, a clean chain
    and use of a heavier lube will also help.

    This site covers it better than most: http://fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

    > No I tried EVERYTHING ! Must say, here in Belgium winters and autumns are rather muddy ...

    I'm fully aware of what Belgian winters are like: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche/index.htm

    Still think a chainsuck plate would have been a cheaper investment...

  9. Phille

    Phille Guest

    > Phille wrote:
    > > Gimme the other solutions to avoid CS ... :)
    >
    > Chainsuck is primarily caused due to wear on the chainrings, and is most pronounced when a new
    > chain is added. The inverse is also true. Replacing the entire drivetrain at the same time is the
    > way to go.

    CS has several causes, it's picking the right one out :)

    > > No I tried EVERYTHING !

    again EVERYTHING (sorry for the scream) I had a total cost in 1 year off over 250EUR Well an
    investment off 800EUR gave me a Rohloff SpeedHub Last month a had a bike revision and costed me
    (change front and back chainring and a new chain) 75EUR ... when using a derailleur these things
    costs me 150EUR and I needed 3 revisions per 2 year ... do you have an axcell sheet ready :-D In 4
    years I'm break even ;-)

    > > Must say, here in Belgium winters and autumns are rather muddy ...
    >
    > I'm fully aware of what Belgian winters are like: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche/index.htm

    wow do you drive in SNOW brrrr Nice pics BTW, still need some more work on your site ;-)

    > Still think a chainsuck plate would have been a cheaper investment...

    noipe, when my chain sucked a needed a 1/4 reverse pedal, when having CS in steep climbs ...

    P.