1st bike: new or used caad12

cita_b

Nov 2, 2016
Hi all,

Researching for first bike. I was looking at a '16 Cannondale CAAD12 105 at the store (~$1,500) and then came across a used '16 Cannondale CAAD12 Dura Ace Disk for $1,600 on craigslist (photo attached). 500 miles ridden per poster.

In this case, would riders suggest to get the used better model or stay new for the the 105 line? Again, I'm new so my ability to "inspect" the used bike would be strictly based off reading what to look for. For what it's worth, the bike is posted in a very affluent area and I suspect they just got a nicer bike

Attachments

• 01616_1HUnLwBl98Y_600x450.jpg
    01616_1HUnLwBl98Y_600x450.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 23
Seeing that a CAAD12 Black D-A has an MSRP of around $5800 and the Ultegra Disc model is $2600, I would go for the used D-a off Craigslist.

And that is, of course, 'if' the used one fits you and shows no damage.

Are you also new to physical activity? What I mean is do you do something now like running religiously every day? If not I wouldn't be spending any where near that much money on a bike because so many people who try any type of physical fitness program quit after about 3 to 9 months, so what you end up with is expensive garage art.

Not sure where you live but you should be searching Craigslist for a bike at around the $350 dollar range.

But if you're dead set on the more expensive bike I would buy the new bike only because I'm not there to see the used bike so I can't help you decide if the used bike is indeed in good condition for you to buy; plus with a new bike you do get a warranty and usually at least one free adjustment during the first year of ownership. Also with a new bike purchase the bike store might give you some discounts on accessories if you ask.

By the way, there is no discernable differences between Ultegra and Dura Ace except for a few grams of weight.

Are you also new to physical activity? What I mean is do you do something now like running religiously every day? If not I wouldn't be spending any where near that much money on a bike because so many people who try any type of physical fitness program quit after about 3 to 9 months, so what you end up with is expensive garage art.

Not sure where you live but you should be searching Craigslist for a bike at around the $350 dollar range.

But if you're dead set on the more expensive bike I would buy the new bike only because I'm not there to see the used bike so I can't help you decide if the used bike is indeed in good condition for you to buy; plus with a new bike you do get a warranty and usually at least one free adjustment during the first year of ownership. Also with a new bike purchase the bike store might give you some discounts on accessories if you ask.

By the way, there is no discernable differences between Ultegra and Dura Ace except for a few grams of weight.
Thanks for your input. I was a division 1 runner in college so I'm not concerned about the physical activity, seeing this as an alternative to running, as I'm a bit tired of it at this point. Don't mind spending the money for a lifelong investment. I'm going to go w/ a new bike for all the reasons you stated above. Thanks!

Thanks for your input. I was a division 1 runner in college so I'm not concerned about the physical activity, seeing this as an alternative to running, as I'm a bit tired of it at this point. Don't mind spending the money for a lifelong investment. I'm going to go w/ a new bike for all the reasons you stated above. Thanks!

I would go with the Ultegra and not the Dura Ace, because there isn't a noticeable difference using the two and if you're not going to be racing then weight is not an issue rather money is.